2nd Test England v Pakistan, Old Trafford, 22-26 July

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: 2nd Test England v Pakistan, Old Trafford, 22-26 July

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:17 pm

braveneutral wrote:I am sure one of my learned friends will correct me but Durham has to be so expensive to recoup how much they pay for the Test?

It's those dastardly ECB folks at it again.

Anyway I think that I mean to say that a dwindling crowd does not necessarily mean a lack of support for the Test format.

God Save The Queen.

Yes, prices are forced up by the bidding process,but that said 70 pounds for a full days sport isn't bad value compared to football or international rugby.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:20 pm

Maybe ECB would only take action when Ashes attendances drops or some other major sport in the uk takes the Summer market and reduces the TV money from Sky or BT.
ECB sometimes get so complacent which is so ridiculous.
Never in my life met a board so stupid in politics or finance then ECB only by luck and prestige are they still powerful in Cricket.

it only hit them last month that they need to take action on the T20 since it is a very strong possibility that the indian money might go to the Caribbean and not England, they literally assumed because no one really plays cricket during the English season they would always have the best players come to England lol.

IF I was ECB would be worried about the Sky viewing figures right now since if another major sport moves to the summer month literally 50% of their current income would go with the ratings Cricket getting at the moment and probably wouldn't get an increase in the rights either.
The saving grace is that Cricket is the only major sport with a massive content during the months of june-august, it is quite valuable to Sky or BT but ratings are not being great but that probably doesn't matter if people still stick with Sky Sports or Bt during the summer months if they have the cricket.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:28 pm

I think that win has probably saved those who were borderline for the chop. Especially as Stokes may not be fit.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Kevin Pietersen is yesterday's man so why do some feel it necessary to keep bringing up his name on threads such as this. Why not start an I love KP thread for all this stuff. There is a thread for anti Cook stuff and the ECB so use them.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:35 pm

braveneutral wrote:I am sure one of my learned friends will correct me but Durham has to be so expensive to recoup how much they pay for the Test?

It's those dastardly ECB folks at it again.

Anyway I think that I mean to say that a dwindling crowd does not necessarily mean a lack of support for the Test format.

God Save The Queen.

in England case I think it does considering Attendences are down, Viewers are downs, people playing cricket is down.

Anyway might remember that quote when people start bashing crowd in india, Pakistan, Australia and Even WI.
Considering more people and probably more percentage of the population in those countries support the test format more than England.

in the future let say 20 yrs down in the line can any of you see younger folks coming to see Test cricket in this country, I really can't considering Ticket prices is quite pricey for most working/middle class/asian people, cricket is not played in school and finally kids don't watch or play cricket. when I was in primary school couldn't even play cricket because of health and safety reasons.
private schools can not provide all the cricketers and be the only real people capable of paying for the tickets.
just think what would happen if Asian people didn't play or follow cricket in the cities and is more likely to happen in the future as the 2nd or 3rd generation get into football more and other sports lose interest in cricket since they don't play it, probably don't watch it and can not even probably afford to go and watch international cricket games at the ground.
My Dad whinges if he has to pay 30 pounds I even remember not going to a game in 2007 because dad thought 70 pounds is too much for a ticket that someone from work didn't want.

Biggest myth in the world is that England likes Cricket and Test cricket.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:Kevin Pietersen is yesterday's man so why do some feel it necessary to keep bringing up his name on threads such as this. Why not start an I love KP thread for all this stuff. There is a thread for anti Cook stuff and the ECB so use them.

There is also a moan of the day thread elsewhere
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:so the attendance is 6,533 quite pathetic that.

How so?It's a normal work day, with Pakistan dead and buried before the day began.

Surely England the country that supposedly loves Test cricket or Cricket could muster more than 6,533 people.

Imho pakistan being dead and buried should have nothing to do with it if the ticket were sold an ages ago.
and just 7 days ago half the tickets available for this test were available and about 40% of tickets are available for the oval test.
Quite pathetic how so many people are happy to brush it aside.

The match situation would only help walk in sales and surely Lancashire were not dependent on Walk in sales for a Test match.

suspect the english comm will embarrass themselves when the odi/T20 start when their start bashing the pakistani fans for turning up.

Cricket is dead in this country more should be done to get 45 percent of people that do not come to the cricket ground each summer to watch cricket, more should be done to convert them to english supporters, more should be done to get them to the county circuit and more should be done to help the cricket in the cities.

I don't know what you were expecting to be honest. Crowds at the weekend were pretty good, but it's Monday with the game already 90% decided and there has been press about uncertain weather. If it had been the Ashes the OT would have been sold out, Pakistan aren't a huge draw, despite the fact they're a decent side.

Expecting at least 80% of the tickets to be sold.
not really a good sign when pakistan can not sell out anywhere barring lords.
really pakistan should be a huge draw since they got 1.1M potential fans in top of the english fans, India, Pakistan and Australia should always be a sell out in this country quite hard to believe they can't sell out, if it doesn't sell out their something wrong with the set up or the price of tickets.

Hopefully Cricket is in a better shape after 2020 but can't really see it considering the people in charge always looks at the short term options and not long term, ECB not having a staging fee should help considering tickets should be far cheaper to get people in.
might mirror the Australian system with tickets mostly 20-30 pounds.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:45 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:

How so?It's a normal work day, with Pakistan dead and buried before the day began.

Surely England the country that supposedly loves Test cricket or Cricket could muster more than 6,533 people.

Imho pakistan being dead and buried should have nothing to do with it if the ticket were sold an ages ago.
and just 7 days ago half the tickets available for this test were available and about 40% of tickets are available for the oval test.

The match situation would only help walk in sales and surely Lancashire were not dependent on Walk in sales for a Test match.

suspect the english comm will embarrass themselves when the odi/T20 start when their start bashing the pakistani fans for turning up.

Cricket is dead in this country more should be done to get 45 percent of people that do not come to the cricket ground each summer to watch cricket, more should be done to convert them to english supporters, more should be done to get them to the county circuit and more should be done to help the cricket in the cities.

I don't know what you were expecting to be honest. Crowds at the weekend were pretty good, but it's Monday with the game already 90% decided and there has been press about uncertain weather. If it had been the Ashes the OT would have been sold out, Pakistan aren't a huge draw, despite the fact they're a decent side.

really pakistan should be a huge draw since they got 1.1M potential fans in top of the english fans, India, Pakistan and Australia should always be a sell out in this country quite hard to believe they can't sell out, if it doesn't sell out their something wrong with the set up or the price of tickets.

Hopefully Cricket is in a better shape after 2020 but can't really see it considering the people in charge always looks at the short term options and not long term, ECB not having a staging fee should help considering tickets should be far cheaper to get people in.

Attendances have been talked about in the past on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20196&start=45
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:46 pm

sussexpob wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:Kevin Pietersen is yesterday's man so why do some feel it necessary to keep bringing up his name on threads such as this. Why not start an I love KP thread for all this stuff. There is a thread for anti Cook stuff and the ECB so use them.

Why don't you use it then sussex, it would be more appropriate than on here.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:56 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:

Pakistan aren't a big draw, they have very little name value in the side outside those who actually follow cricket, well aside from Amir for all the wrong reasons. If England had been chasing today with 300 to get then there would have been more down.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby ianp1970 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:26 pm

braveneutral wrote:The getting drunk is on someone else though so maybe we could share a ticket if anyone is up for it.

You'll be surprised what can be decanted into Lucozade bottles and taken in yourself BN. Much better than paying over £4 for a pint of p!55 in a plastic receptacle!
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:29 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Why don't you use it then sussex, it would be more appropriate than on here.

Thank you very much for telling me what and what I cant discuss, Ill make sure before I involve myself in any further discussion that I PM you for permission.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby ianp1970 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Pakistan aren't a big draw, they have very little name value in the side outside those who actually follow cricket, well aside from Amir for all the wrong reasons. If England had been chasing today with 300 to get then there would have been more down.

I'm going to day 3 at Birmingham, which is nearly sold out, and was expecting a roughly 50/50 home/away support :hmmm
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Making_Splinters » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 pm

ianp1970 wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:Pakistan aren't a big draw, they have very little name value in the side outside those who actually follow cricket, well aside from Amir for all the wrong reasons. If England had been chasing today with 300 to get then there would have been more down.

I'm going to day 3 at Birmingham, which is nearly sold out, and was expecting a roughly 50/50 home/away support :hmmm

We're talking day 4 here, the crowds for the first three days were good at OT.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby ianp1970 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:40 pm

One of the disadvantages of beginning on a Friday, I guess. Birmingham has the opposite with a Wednesday start: unlikely to sell too many weekend tickets...

ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches