3rd Test England v Pakistan, Edgbaston, Aug 3-7.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: 3rd Test England v Pakistan, Edgbaston, Aug 3-7.

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:32 am

alfie wrote:Amuses me how a lot of people set themselves up to judge Anderson without having a clue what he actually said to the umpires . He looked angry , snatched his jumper ... wow ! Must be the first fast bowler to do that...

as MS pointed out , it all rather depends on what he said . Presumably it wasn't that bad ; else the umpires would have taken action. It is possible to question officials without being guilty of a crime ; though he apparently didn't do it politely enough - hence the apology. Which was accepted.

I do agree it isn't a good look - and not the first time for Jimmy. But I also think that he seems to be singled out for criticism in the media - and the social media - whenever he so much as looks grumpy on the field ; more so than a lot of other cricketers who have been known to sledge their opponents (perhaps more subtly ?)

In interviews he comes across as a generally decent sort of fellow ; and even admits he pushes it too far at times on the field. Just possibly he is not seen by umpires as the ogre that some imagine ? More all bark etc , a la Merv Hughes ? And if opponents sometimes complain - well : it isn't unheard of for teams to use a bit of chat as an excuse to try and put off the other team's most dangerous bowler...though that can cut both ways !

I don't mind a bit of chat on the field , though I prefer my sledging with a dash of humour. Would rather not see the nanny state take over the cricket pitch.

Well said alfie.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches