Bangladesh V England Test Series 2016

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Bangladesh V England Test Series 2016

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:22 pm

Lol seems like Shakib already counting the cash with his celebration, so many people in bangladesh doing the shakib salute, although shouldn't that be called marlon salute.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby KipperJohn » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:England players rarely do well, straight away, when coming in at a young age. Young players, even ones with talent, like Bell, Broad or Anderson, have an awful time adapting. Young players either disappear and come back, like Swann, or they just fade away. Mature players seem to adapt better, like Strauss and Trott. We'll see with Haseeb, and Duckett, but Cook is the only player I can think of who has resisted this trend this century.

Cook has had the advantage of never having been dropped, despite some lengthy barren spells. He's probably the only England batsman to have had that advantage in the last 10 years or so - even Strauss, KP, Bell and Root were all dropped at some point.
KipperJohn

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:51 pm

Well played to Bangladesh.

But can they take 10 wickets in a session on a cool and overcast spring in the North of England (or a cold Tuesday night in Stoke?)
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby alfie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Or Ball. I suspect Finn is one of a couple of passengers in India, brought about by the plan to select a squad for two series.

England treated this series as preparation, and maybe that's what they got out of it. And now they have discovered not to pick Finn or Ballance.

I think that probably sums it up quite well , to be honest.

In fairness to Bayliss and co , the ridiculous itinerary they had accepted made a certain amount of "rotating and trialling" of players almost unavoidable ; but frankly after the Chittagong Test I think I'd have said shove it , lets pick the best XI we can and fill in as they get injured as best we can...though no doubt that approach would also end in tears...

In any case Bangladesh got a win they deserved , a fair share of the series ; and as long as they can entice other countries to tour (credit to England for doing so , in the face of all the concerns over the risks) they will win others . They have a real find in Mehedi , and enough batting to compete with anyone on their home pitches. Traveling might be a problem for them though.

As for England Bayliss has to review some of his plans I think. Hameed must come in - else what is he there for ? I'd bat him at three for now , Root back to four. Not suggesting that order will be a long term success but they just haven't brought any alternatives - Buttler is surely only there as cover for Bairstow. The bowling is always going to appear a bit light with neither Broad or Anderson : at least Broad will be "rested" now for India - and one can hope Jimmy will be able to join in before the tour is over. Stokes looks to be developing with the ball : problem is the spin options are extremely limited. Pick Batty , and hope the pacers can do a job with reverse ?
Tough times ahead...
alfie

Postby alfie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:19 pm

sussexpob wrote:I think one player that Hales as naturally linked to in my mind is Marcus Trescothick. I see them as similar players, but one was born in an era with a coach who accepted players for their natural gifts, and another who's era conflicts with this coaching ideal that players arent born, but can be created and tailored.

Trescothick wasnt a textbook defensive technique guy. In fact, his technique always gave you a chance. But drift offline, short, onto his pads, he had shots to punish you. If you accepted that 5 times out of 10 when you bowled well, you got him, but then the other 5 times you dont bowl well and he was going to feast.

There is room for guys like Hales, but he needs to go and play natural. There is no doubt in my mind he has the shots to do the job.

As a Hales fan I hope you are right. Suspect the opener's job will still be "open" after this tour so he may get another chance (I am a little disappointed they didn't add him to the squad for India ; but the lack of warm ups decreed that is impractical)
Seems to be curse on England openers ; will Duckett's fifty lead anywhere , I wonder...
alfie

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:26 pm

alfie wrote:
sussexpob wrote:I think one player that Hales as naturally linked to in my mind is Marcus Trescothick. I see them as similar players, but one was born in an era with a coach who accepted players for their natural gifts, and another who's era conflicts with this coaching ideal that players arent born, but can be created and tailored.

Trescothick wasnt a textbook defensive technique guy. In fact, his technique always gave you a chance. But drift offline, short, onto his pads, he had shots to punish you. If you accepted that 5 times out of 10 when you bowled well, you got him, but then the other 5 times you dont bowl well and he was going to feast.

There is room for guys like Hales, but he needs to go and play natural. There is no doubt in my mind he has the shots to do the job.

As a Hales fan I hope you are right. Suspect the opener's job will still be "open" after this tour so he may get another chance (I am a little disappointed they didn't add him to the squad for India ; but the lack of warm ups decreed that is impractical)
Seems to be curse on England openers ; will Duckett's fifty lead anywhere , I wonder...

I'd like to see Hales in and open if only for the benefit of the left-hand, right-hand combination.

Duckett can then drop down to 4 in place of Ballance. The selectors may be keen to get Hameed in though.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby alfie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:44 pm

Well having picked Hameed for the tour (and I seem to recall almost universal approval for his selection at least in the media ) it would seem very strange if he weren't given a try now.

With hardly any batting cover he surely wasn't named in the touring party just for "experience" !
alfie

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:46 pm

alfie wrote:Well having picked Hameed for the tour (and I seem to recall almost universal approval for his selection at least in the media ) it would seem very strange if he weren't given a try now.

With hardly any batting cover he surely wasn't named in the touring party just for "experience" !

well he got 5 test matches to go and bayliss and cook were quite certain all the player or most players will play a test this winter so he will get a game.
think only ball won't play a game from the squad.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:58 pm

It will be a baptism of fire if Hameed does play.

The one consolation is if he is picked and doesn't score many runs at least he won't be the only batsman.

Who knows, he might be the only player of ours who can deal with spin on Asian dustbowls.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby meninblue » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Duckett played some across the line strokes especially through midwicket which is very risky given the angle he plays it at. But perhaps he is going to be succesful like Sehwag or Warner while playing like this so let him continue play like that when he comes to India for test series with Ashwin and Jaddu bowling to him.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby DiligentDefence » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:45 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Well played to Bangladesh.

But can they take 10 wickets in a session on a cool and overcast spring in the North of England (or a cold Tuesday night in Stoke?)

I'm not sure that is the point at the moment. First they must gain confidence by winning consistently at home.
Ban v Eng combined fantasy guru '10 summer chess champ
'10 Ban v Zim ODI fantasy guru 2011 county division one prediction guru
2011 Zim vs NZ combined prediction guru 2011 India vs WI Tests prediction guru
2012 CB40 fantasy league guru 2014 World T20 fantasy guru
2015 6 Nations prediction league winners 2016 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2017 Masters Fantasy league Winner 2018 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2019 WI v Eng ODI fantasy league 2019 Eng v Pak ODI fantasy league winner
DiligentDefence

Team(s) Supported: Northants, England

Postby andy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:11 pm

Pathetic, shambolic performance and collapse from England! Part of me is happy though that Bangladesh did manage the win
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:28 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:Pathetic, shambolic performance and collapse from England! Part of me is happy though that Bangladesh did manage the win

that is harsh really since England tried their best, not really the players fault if they are out of their debt in the conditions.
did people really expect an 2-0 win when their don't have the bowling or batting resources to compete consistently over 5 days.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby meninblue » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:36 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:Pathetic, shambolic performance and collapse from England! Part of me is happy though that Bangladesh did manage the win

that is harsh really since England tried their best, not really the players fault if they are out of their debt in the conditions.
did people really expect an 2-0 win when their don't have the bowling or batting resources to compete consistently over 5 days.

Well i am also one of those who thought England will not lose a test here. England really played badly. 10 wickets in one session is not bit too much but lot too much.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Adi wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:

Well i am also one of those who thought England will not lose a test here. England really played badly. 10 wickets in one session is not bit too much but lot too much.

The thing is they did all the hard work to get to 100 for 0, the shambolic then applies to what happened after that. Someone mentioned us skittling the Aussies, but that was pretty much from ball one. This was probably worse in that the openers had put in the hard yards and set the innings up. We certainly top the rankings at fourth innings capitulations if nothing else.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches