SA tour of Australia, Oct 22-Nov 28

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: SA tour of Australia, Oct 22-Nov 28

Postby rich1uk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:20 am

they say that the pink ball has an extra layer of lacquer on it to try and help it keep its colour longer, wonder if thats why the swing has been so inconsistent as i remember anderson always saying that it takes a few overs to get the lacquer off the ball and get it swinging
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:25 am

hopeforthebest wrote:Watching again Khawaja sold him a dummy.

Needs to go on and make a big score now.

Been close a few times in this series. Needs to make sure he gets well past his 100.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:31 am

rich1uk wrote:they say that the pink ball has an extra layer of lacquer on it to try and help it keep its colour longer, wonder if thats why the swing has been so inconsistent as i remember anderson always saying that it takes a few overs to get the lacquer off the ball and get it swinging

Also im guessing in Adelaide that the ball would move a lot less than in Hobart.

I have a read a little about the extra lacquer on the pink ball to help it last. The article i read also suggested that due to this lacquer that it might be tougher to influence the ball by the usual means from bowlers. That might be from sweat, roughing the ball or other means. It seemed to suggest the ball would be more consistent through out the 80 overs of use.

In the long run on a pitch like Adelaide, that could make batting pretty easy when set?
yuppie

Postby mikesiva » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:31 am

Khawaja gets his century!
:clap
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:34 am

Excellent 100 by Usman. :dance

Again making batting look very easy.

Has been one of only 2 shinning lights for Australia in this series.
yuppie

Postby rich1uk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:36 am

yuppie wrote:
rich1uk wrote:they say that the pink ball has an extra layer of lacquer on it to try and help it keep its colour longer, wonder if thats why the swing has been so inconsistent as i remember anderson always saying that it takes a few overs to get the lacquer off the ball and get it swinging

Also im guessing in Adelaide that the ball would move a lot less than in Hobart.

I have a read a little about the extra lacquer on the pink ball to help it last. The article i read also suggested that due to this lacquer that it might be tougher to influence the ball by the usual means from bowlers. That might be from sweat, roughing the ball or other means. It seemed to suggest the ball would be more consistent through out the 80 overs of use.

In the long run on a pitch like Adelaide, that could make batting pretty easy when set?

add that to the extra grass they leave on the pitch to further protect the pink ball and it makes du plessis's decision to bat first even stranger imo, as you would think the best time to bowl would be on day one before the pitch dries out a little

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:42 am

rich1uk wrote:
yuppie wrote:

add that to the extra grass they leave on the pitch to further protect the pink ball and it makes du plessis's decision to bat first even stranger imo, as you would think the best time to bowl would be on day one before the pitch dries out a little

Indeed, though batting first is the safe bet with the unknown quantity of the day night test cricket. It seems pretty good batting conditions at the moment, so a good time to make ones test debut.

I wonder what Smith would have done if he won the toss?
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:25 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:To be honest, I have never quite understood why we give more weight to the location that a player was born and lived as a child/teenager (something they have no control over) compared to the positive choices they have made as an adult. An adult has decided to come and live and work in the country, gain citizenship and commit themselves to that country. Shouldn't that count for more than an accident of birth?

:thumb Good words.....

People should determine their own identity, not have it set out for them.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 am

Handscomb makes a debut 50. :salute

Certainly seems a good pitch to be batting on, probably one of the better test venues to make a test debut.

Australia lead and a very expensive over from Philander.

I guess now Australia will be looking to bat just the once if they can. No need to risk another batting collapse.
yuppie

Postby rich1uk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:34 am

yuppie wrote:Handscomb makes a debut 50. :salute

he looks a little bit like he will be vulnerable to full deliveries if there is any sort of movement as he stands pretty upright and quite deep in his crease, but once he got in today has looked very good

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:39 am

Indeed. What was it someone was saying after the last test about Aussie test prospects benefitting from time in county cricket. Apparently I was crazy for suggesting it, and that it was impossible anyway.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:41 am

Was Voges dropped?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:42 am

rich1uk wrote:

he looks a little bit like he will be vulnerable to full deliveries if there is any sort of movement as he stands pretty upright and quite deep in his crease, but once he got in today has looked very good

Yep, the little i have seen it looks like he will be susceptible to the moving ball. Batting in these conditions at Adelaide will make most batsman look good. And 3 Australian bats today have looked very good.

Undoubtedly he will be labelled a hero if he makes a 100. But he has more chance going the same way as Blewett and Hughes than a G Chappel.

The feed I'm looking at the SA bowlers look pretty flat. Obviously not working as hard on the ball as they have in the last 2 tests. Hard to get motivated for a dead rubber, though the accusations of ball tampering would surely make them want to prove themselves.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:42 am

Going to be interesting in the next decade or so moving on when you see the effects of increased migration between Australia and UK.

Lots of Aussies in England, and now an Englishman in the Aussie team. Are we going to start to see bidding wars from boards to get young talent?

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:44 am

yep ill take credit for that jinx :coat
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches