England Versus India - 1st Test (9 Nov - 13 Nov)

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: England Versus India - 1st Test (9 Nov - 13 Nov)

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:12 pm

I genuinely feel sorry for Hameed, he didn't ask for this nonsense. He has played along in places, but what would you expect a teenager to do? As I've said in the past, I really worry about what will happen if he gets dropped. The press he's gotten will no doubt have caused some serious resentment around the county game from older players or players who've had better seasons and not been picked.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:15 pm

sussexpob wrote:Jon Angew described Hameeds debut as an "I was there moment"..... :facepalm

Cue him scoring 100 runs in the next 6 innings and not playing the final test.

No holding back on this one is there.

think it would take less runs than 100 for him to get dropped.
maybe something like 50.
Ballance didn't get dropped either for basically doing the same thing.
Can't see hameed getting dropped at all unless he scores 5 or 6 ducks and Ashwin/Jadeja are over him so much and with today showing can't see that happening considering Hameed quite good against spin and his time in gujarat and mumbai shows it.
think I read he was offered to play for ranji cricket 4-5 yrs ago and spent so many winters in india practising his trade.
I be very surprised if Hameed struggles in this series might not be a world beater yet but won't be a dud or easy wicket like Gambhir was in this game.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Ill reserve judgement on his technique against spin until Ive seen him on a result wicket.

English openers are also going to play against swing much more than spin.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:20 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I genuinely feel sorry for Hameed, he didn't ask for this nonsense. He has played along in places, but what would you expect a teenager to do? As I've said in the past, I really worry about what will happen if he gets dropped. The press he's gotten will no doubt have caused some serious resentment around the county game from older players or players who've had better seasons and not been picked.

For me, its more the fact that there is a huge bubble of pressure and expectation for him to go on probably one of the hardest tours England can play away, and now he has to hit the ground running because the whole of the press are talking about him like Tendulkar. A 19 year old should be allowed to fail and not be hyped up so much.

I mean no disrespect to the lad, he might be a test match player with a bright future, but I worry for him what this pressure will do for him
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:24 pm

sussexpob wrote:Ill reserve judgement on his technique against spin until Ive seen him on a result wicket.

Vizag should be a good test with it being a result wicket and the ball very likely to spin from day 1, will have to be seen if the game finishes on 3 days or 4 days.
might actually be a good game if england bat well again since with both teams batting deep can see both teams scoring around 300 in each innings with 200-250 being a good chase in the last innings with a 50-50 aspect of the team winning or losing.
Depends on the batting since in recent times oppositions haven't really batted well on turning decks in india and india haven't really batted well either but get away with it so much since on average they bat 70 runs better per innings without even trying.
think only really SA home test can be classed as over the top rank turners, Australia were awful in good decks, same with NZ and india struggled to bat on the same decks england were getting 400-500 on.

Should know way more about how england will go in the series in Vizag.
Starting to agree with greyblazer that in slow good turning decks like Rajkot England will compete and india really need turning decks from day 1 to beat england most of the time, on good decks england might sneak a draw or win.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:31 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:I genuinely feel sorry for Hameed, he didn't ask for this nonsense. He has played along in places, but what would you expect a teenager to do? As I've said in the past, I really worry about what will happen if he gets dropped. The press he's gotten will no doubt have caused some serious resentment around the county game from older players or players who've had better seasons and not been picked.

For me, its more the fact that there is a huge bubble of pressure and expectation for him to go on probably one of the hardest tours England can play away, and now he has to hit the ground running because the whole of the press are talking about him like Tendulkar. A 19 year old should be allowed to fail and not be hyped up so much.

I mean no disrespect to the lad, he might be a test match player with a bright future, but I worry for him what this pressure will do for him

the english press are actually being stupid considering india isn't a bad tour to blood him since no one in india expected him to score runs or putting added pressure on him and this is a tour people expected england to lose 5-0 and averaging 35 was a massive success.
so baffling english press going crazy over him after 1 test on a flattie, they could really have waited after the tour in a series where no player could literally fail since no one expected anything from the players.
if anything england are celebrating a draw as a win and the batsman and bowlers competing on the same level with india as a win.
Think this winter the only player likely to be regarded as a failure would be Ballance and to a lesser extent Finn but suspect most people would have forgotten about him being a dud in bangladesh so he might be considered again in the summer.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:36 pm

Also all the talk about england setting a declaration around 250, india scored 172.
bit of a risk setting a target of 250 on what they probably thought was a good batting deck at the time why risk losing a game which they worked so bloody hard to win.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:52 pm

One only has to look at Sam Robson's debut hundred, in only his second test, to highlight how stupid the journo's in England can be. He didnt play well on debut, and that was it, he was judged. He scored a pretty good 130 odd in the second digs, and incredibly people were still picking fault. I read one article by a cricinfo journo who suggested that it was a negative Robson had been so defensive, and referred to him as looking "like an accountant", before going on about how he looks like a typical meek public school boy brought up at Midland School (he was brought up in rural New South Wales).

Of course, Robson was dumped quickly. Yet thats the English way. If the face dont fit, they you are cast out. Hameed has the hype, he will get 20 tests to fail in before they dump him and then it will be his fault, not the fact the coaching has shown not to improve players, or the fact that the press jumped on him as the second coming after scoring one 50 (that he hardly added to overnight) in a test that had drawn written all over it.

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:58 pm

for me nick compton was the worse did really well in india scored 2 hundreds in NZ but then got dropped for batting slow in england so they can have root opening what the hell is that. :facepalm
can't actually remember a bad test in his original run and he got dropped because of a dispute with a coach and them not liking him.
not really a surprise he failed an again with the crap he got in the first instance.
not sure I would like to play for england again if that happened to me.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby sussexpob » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:01 am

bhaveshgor wrote:for me nick compton was the worse did really well in india scored 2 hundreds in NZ but then got dropped for batting slow in england so they can have root opening what the hell is that. :facepalm

Face didnt fit, like Carberry too.

But thats the whole point. They get given hardly a chance, and then when they are dumped and jettisoned out the team swiftly, the fact they dont succeed only serves to prove those doubters right the first time.

Robson was told to go get runs in the early season, he piled them run upon run, then they gave Ballance a real call after doing nothing

sussexpob

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:08 am

Really baffles me what England/Flower are looking in for with the face didn't fit aspect of it, lions love mentioning attitude but how do they actually see with players got it and they don't.
Can't complain to much since it must be working since one thing that I love about the England teams is that they don't give up and always fight to the end can't say the same for other sides.
for all the talk of England being awful or inconsistent they still one of the top sides away from home, although lately the home advantage not been that huge lately with England winning in SA, pak drawing in England, SA winning in Aus, india winning in Sri lanka and WI.
can't really remember too many home trashing these days like around 2012-2014 period.

Think at the moment only really Australia are awful away from home even WI not been that bad lately.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:26 am

sussexpob wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:for me nick compton was the worse did really well in india scored 2 hundreds in NZ but then got dropped for batting slow in england so they can have root opening what the hell is that. :facepalm

Robson was told to go get runs in the early season, he piled them run upon run, then they gave Ballance a real call after doing nothing

ballance only got called up because of his Test average and nothing else, cook liked him, his face fits and he averaged 50 so he must be good otherwise he wouldn't score them and if cook can score 10K runs with 3 shots, ballance could do the same thing.
Actually liked him getting selected really since so many english fans not on this forum but elsewhere and on twitter were going crazy over him because of his first class and test record but missed the fact his technique was over the place and he didn't fix it or resolve it yet.
not really sure why anyone sane could have expected him to score runs with him still using his old technique at a time where he knows the technique not that great and everyone in the world knows how to bowl to him was never going to work.

Baffling Selectors didn't see that ballance didn't fix his technique and it wouldn't work, really ballance is the english version of Kambli but unlike Kambli ballance record isn't 50 anymore.
literally every time ballance fails people would say but the guy averages 50 stop saying he can't score runs and he should be dropped lol.
hopefully this time ballance doesn't get recalled unless he averages 60-70 in first class cricket or he fixes/changes his technique, not sure being stubborn with your technique is a great thing since ballance didn't believe he had anything wrong with his game before and wouldn't make small adjustments to his game.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:46 am

sussexpob wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:I see the crisis talk has already started in the Australian press. Australia hasn't even lost this game yet

They would be hard pressed to lose this game, they werent even in it

:point

Doh! Wrong thread! Meant to post this one on the SA/AU game, obviously

:facepalm
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:50 am

can't actually remember a bad test in his original run and he got dropped because of a dispute with a coach and them not liking him.
not really a surprise he failed an again with the crap he got in the first instance.

Agree entirely. I was looking back at his record as an opener, and he did really well the first time round. I can't fathom why he was dumped for Root as an opener. Really odd.

I think best of luck to Hammed, but I think that for all England debutants. But the English press love to build people up and then knock them down. Still, I suppose it's page views that matter to them, not talking sense. 'New opener may or may not be any good, too early to tell' is not exactly a headline that will get a lot of interest.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby backfootpunch » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:05 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:

Agree entirely. I was looking back at his record as an opener, and he did really well the first time round. I can't fathom why he was dumped for Root as an opener. Really odd.

I think best of luck to Hammed, but I think that for all England debutants. But the English press love to build people up and then knock them down. Still, I suppose it's page views that matter to them, not talking sense. 'New opener may or may not be any good, too early to tell' is not exactly a headline that will get a lot of interest.

He was dropped because, cook and trott were the other two batsmen in the top three

And the management felt that was too defensive and they'd just put pressure on each other
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches