Fifth Test: India v England, 16-20 Dec (Chennai)

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Fifth Test: India v England, 16-20 Dec (Chennai)

Postby yuppie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:06 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
yuppie wrote:Maybe bhaveshgor you could write some blogs about your thoughts?

That's a laughably good idea lol.

I'm an ideas man

But it might be the best place to put ideas into a coherent article and not flood the match day threads?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:55 pm

yuppie wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
yuppie wrote:Maybe bhaveshgor you could write some blogs about your thoughts?

That's a laughably good idea lol.

I'm an ideas man

But it might be the best place to put ideas into a coherent article and not flood the match day threads?

Asked for it to move to Adi Virat captain thread.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Both teams given final warnings for their behaviour by the umpires.
agree with hault quite pathetic ICC were not strict earlier in the series especially with both teams with history.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016 ... -anderson/

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Other sites don't seem to have this.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:28 pm

I can't find it either.

I'm not sure how much weight to give these historical rankings, given that most of them are hypothetical calculations on what rankings might have been for players who retired long before the ranking system was introduced. Where's Jim Laker on the all-time offspinner list, for example?

I think we can all agree though that Ashwin has had a magnificent couple of years. :salute But for me, he's got to succeed outside Asia to be considered an all time great, whatever the rankings say. I'm not saying in every country - almost no-one has an unblemished record everywhere (Murali didn't do so well in Australia and Warne not so well in India, and they're both greats). But Ashwin hasn't really succeeded so far outside the subcontinent, largely because he hasn't had the opportunity (one fairly poor series in Australia has been pretty much it). That's not to say he won't succeed elsewhere, just that I won't regard him as in the same league as Warne, Murali, Underwood etc. until he does.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:15 pm

I'd agree with that, it's performances away from home in unfamiliar conditions that make a truly great player especially in the modern era where players get the opportunity to play in those conditions more often during their career.

India have been playing well of late, I'd go so far as to say that this team is unbeatable at home over a series, but if you're going to start talking about the all time greats then you have to go abroad and do that. No ifs no buts about it.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Red Devil » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:39 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I'd agree with that, it's performances away from home in unfamiliar conditions that make a truly great player especially in the modern era where players get the opportunity to play in those conditions more often during their career.

India have been playing well of late, I'd go so far as to say that this team is unbeatable at home over a series, but if you're going to start talking about the all time greats then you have to go abroad and do that. No ifs no buts about it.

I think we are quite a long way from starting to compare with the WI sides of the 80's or the Aus era of Warne and McGrath!

However, India's dominance at home over the last 4 years or so is very very impressive. in terms of being world number 1 we only really need to be ok away from home to justify the number 1 tag given the dominance at home - we don't have to beat everyone away from home. If we manage to do that over the next couple of years then we really would be talking about an all-time great test side - for that to happen a lot rests on Shami, Bhuvi, Umesh and Ishant - as well as how effective Ashwin can be away from home.
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:06 am

They certainly got the potential to be the greatest Indian test team.
Although ganguly team a good shout but they didn't really have the bowlers to win games.
Dhoni team to passive.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:50 pm

Reckon India losing the test, pitch is damaged game could be a lottery could be a good toss to lose. Drying the deck by coal, hearing from someone they only doing this because the pitch is very damp and game could be called off if the game played tomorrow.
They really should shift the game or delay the start.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Hard to believe that hovering trays of coal will dry the pitch out effectively, any more than exposing it to the elements, now the storm hs passed. Though as this is what they are doing I presume they've done it before, and therefore know what effect it will have.

It was thought that the first day would be lost, but it seems it will go ahead on time.

Only change that seems to be mooted for England is that Dawson will come in, presumably for one of Ball, Anderson or Woakes. Might be some surprises though.

Is it likely Shami will be back? Seems we won't see Rahane again. Shami, Mishra, Pandey and Ishant are still in the squad, according to cricinfo.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Hard to believe that hovering trays of coal will dry the pitch out effectively, any more than exposing it to the elements, now the storm hs passed. Though as this is what they are doing I presume they've done it before, and therefore know what effect it will have.

It was thought that the first day would be lost, but it seems it will go ahead on time.

Only change that seems to be mooted for England is that Dawson will come in, presumably for one of Ball, Anderson or Woakes. Might be some surprises though.

Is it likely Shami will be back? Seems we won't see Rahane again. Shami, Mishra, Pandey and Ishant are still in the squad, according to cricinfo.

Was it in India where running over hot coals in bare feet was used to test the courage of young men? Maybe the Opening pace bowlers should be prepared.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:21 pm

You just know England will pick 3 spinners with the 3rd spinner likely to do nothing and the pitch helping the fast bowlers.
Should be interesting test match if it helps the fast bowlers.
Should be a good test for the Indian team if they do win on a deck with help for the fast men.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Both sides won't be practicing till the test match.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:29 pm

Remember when I said 2 months ago that loads of players are not happy with the ICC punishment mostly because it is never applied equally, well England believe that.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricke ... hment.html

no issues with the punishment but would like it to be applied all the time to all the teams.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:49 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Remember when I said 2 months ago that loads of players are not happy with the ICC punishment mostly because it is never applied equally, well England believe that.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricke ... hment.html

no issues with the punishment but would like it to be applied all the time to all the teams.

Kohli certainly seems to get away with a lot

Ball tampering in the same way faf was
Giving Stokes a send off
Now this

If the rules are there they should apply to everyone
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches