Australia tour of India, Feb 17-March 29

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Australia tour of India, Feb 17-March 29

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:46 pm

India are on the road for the next 5 series although series at home could be schedule in between those 5.
got Sri Lanka away
SA
nz
England
Australia
Next 18 months.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby yuppie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Is that the order to be played in BH?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Yep.
Although after Sri Lanka wi could be played in India to replace Pakistan.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby yuppie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Cheers :salute
yuppie

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:59 pm

Feels a bit of a shame that the series ended with an Australian collapse. They had made those of us not from India to dare to think the seemingly impossible was possible. Read somewhere that India have now won there last series against every Test nation, which is an impressive stat.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:06 pm

I fancy Australia to beat India at home, but India should hold their own away to England and South Africa and maybe beat NZ. India will be travelling with strength in depth regarding pace (best ever?), spinners who contribute a lot with the bat and a strong top three. Weaknesses will be fielding in unfamiliar conditions, an uncertain middle order, and (only arguably) how much aggro Kohli stirs up because away crowds will be less tolerant (? an issue with DRS too).
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Deeply unimpressed with Kohli's gracelessness after the series. I criticised Smith yesterday but at least he was graceful in defeat, went over and shook Rahane's hand as the first action at the end of the match, and apologised for his outburst on day 3. Kohli then fans the flames further. He had the chance to be a bigger man, and didn't take it. Poor form.

On another note entirely, I don't think Australia will be able to field Cummins and Starc in the same attack until they've solved the all-rounder problem. They're both strike bowlers who work best in short spells, and are prone to injury. They're not workhorses, and a four-man attack can only carry one strike bowler who is used in short spells.

I expect we've seen the last of Marsh. A supposed horses-for-courses selection, he played one good innings in 8, averaged under 20. To add to that, he's now injured, and will be 34 (I think) by the time England arrive in November. Surely Khawaja must replace him?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:14 am

I think Cummins and Starc can play the same team successfully, Fluffy. Ditch the allrounder - the two of them together make up an allrounder's batting skills - and go with 6 proper batsmen and four proper bowlers. Both Cummins and Starc are great in the field and handy with the bat.

Assuming that one of them gets injured every third test (is that wishfully low?), Pattinson can step in for them.

Maybe this is wishful thinking as well, but I reckon they will become less injury prone as they get closer to the 30 mark. Starc has been pretty stable the past couple of years - can't count the gash to his leg, that is just bad luck.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:51 am

GarlicJam wrote:I think Cummins and Starc can play the same team successfully, Fluffy. Ditch the allrounder - the two of them together make up an allrounder's batting skills - and go with 6 proper batsmen and four proper bowlers. Both Cummins and Starc are great in the field and handy with the bat.

Assuming that one of them gets injured every third test (is that wishfully low?), Pattinson can step in for them.

Maybe this is wishful thinking as well, but I reckon they will become less injury prone as they get closer to the 30 mark. Starc has been pretty stable the past couple of years - can't count the gash to his leg, that is just bad luck.

It's not so much the batting as their workload I am concerned about. How will the pair of them hold up if Australia have to bowl 150-200 overs in the subcontinent, or in Australian summer heat?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby alfie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:15 am

Hmm. Starc Cummins Hazlewood Lyon looks a handy combination for Australian conditions at least ; but if they were forced into a long bowl say at Adelaide it might be tempting fate with the strike bowlers...and putting a lot of pressure on Lyon .

It is a fair point that no all rounder might make more sense than picking someone who just isn't good enough to clog up a spot : but the risk in having no backup is considerable. Certainly the overwork factor killed them against SA - not their latest tour , the one a couple of years earlier when Australia pretty much ran out of pace bowlers...
alfie

Postby yuppie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 am

If Cummins and Starc were to play in the same team, then i would think you would need another part time bowler. M Marsh would be good enough as that bowler, sadly though he can not make the runs.

I guess Maxwell if fit will start Australia's next test at 6, though im not sure he will be around for to long. He can bowl a few overs though. So next to look at will be Head and Stonis? Soon everyone will have been tried.

Will be interesting to see how Handscomb goes in the next few tests. One good innings and a few where he looked comfortable, but overall he had a pretty average series. Still many questions about Australias batting from 5-8.

And obviously after one bad test Australia will start putting more pressure onto Lyon....
yuppie

Postby rich1uk » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:34 am

i've got a feeling Head might be in the team for the Ashes, there will probably be 2 top 6 spots up for grabs and if he continues to show the sort of form he has in ODIs then will get the nod
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby yuppie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:31 am

I thought head was unlucky not to go to India.
yuppie

Postby dan08 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 am

yuppie wrote:If Cummins and Starc were to play in the same team, then i would think you would need another part time bowler. M Marsh would be good enough as that bowler, sadly though he can not make the runs.

I guess Maxwell if fit will start Australia's next test at 6, though im not sure he will be around for to long. He can bowl a few overs though. So next to look at will be Head and Stonis? Soon everyone will have been tried.

Will be interesting to see how Handscomb goes in the next few tests. One good innings and a few where he looked comfortable, but overall he had a pretty average series. Still many questions about Australias batting from 5-8.

And obviously after one bad test Australia will start putting more pressure onto Lyon....

4-8. Can't see Shaun Marsh surviving.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby yuppie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:26 am

dan08 wrote:
yuppie wrote:If Cummins and Starc were to play in the same team, then i would think you would need another part time bowler. M Marsh would be good enough as that bowler, sadly though he can not make the runs.

4-8. Can't see Shaun Marsh surviving.

I can not either. But i assume Usman will walk back into the test side now. The top 4 will be Warner, Renshaw, Usman and Smith. And on paper that is not to bad. Handscomb will stay at 5 and Wade has done enough to stay at 7 for now, just. A fit Starc at 8, Cummings 9. Of course that's if either of them are fit at the same time.
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches