ICC Champions Trophy warm-ups

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: ICC Champions Trophy warm-ups

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 am

I'm not entirely sure if any England player would get into a "best" side. Yes there have been lots of good performances in the England side, but are any of them the best in their given position? Not so sure.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Slipstream » Wed May 31, 2017 12:13 pm

SKY's team of the tournament in 2013
S Dhawan, K Sangakkara (wkt), J Trott, V Kohli, J Root, R Bopara, R Jadeja, R Ashwin, L Malinga, J Anderson, M McClenaghan. :)
Slipstream

Postby meninblue » Wed May 31, 2017 5:36 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Simon Hughes has posted his ideal XI for the tournament:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/40095152

Warner, de Kock, Kohli (c), Root, ABdV, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes, Starc, Cummins, Tahir

One feels India is a little under-represented, but it's hard to argue with any of the choices other than perhaps Stokes and Cummins based on their records for the last 2 years. I'd have Rabada ahead of Cummins on current form. Woakes gets in on his all-round ability, even if Boult is arguably a better bowler.

Most of the allrounders who might be alternatives to Stokes are either not playing in the tournament or are spinners who might not be as useful in England (Shakib, Hafeez, Jadeja). Matthews is a possibility though.

Thoughts?

Ben has knee injury, so he may not bowl. In that case i would drop him and include Chris Morris as all rounder replacement.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed May 31, 2017 10:55 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I'm not entirely sure if any England player would get into a "best" side. Yes there have been lots of good performances in the England side, but are any of them the best in their given position? Not so sure.

Surely Root?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:18 am

Ahead of Smith and V.irate Kohli.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:47 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote: V.irate Kohli.

:clap
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:32 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Ahead of Smith and V.irate Kohli.

Based on form for the last 12 months or so, I'd have Root over Smith. Smith had an amazing 2015 and early 2016 in ODIs, but by his own high standards he tailed off a bit. In both 2016 and 2017, Root has a better average, SR and higher ratio of 50s and 100s per games played than Smith does (oddly, Root has a fairly similar rate of scoring 100s to most top ODI players, apart from Warner, who's been a bit of a freakshow recently. But he gets a lot more 50s, hence the perception that he tends to fall when set).

Smith's still bloody good. But for me Root nudges it.

It's all academic though. And past 12-18 months form means nothing if they don't produce over the next two weeks.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Ahead of Smith and V.irate Kohli.

Based on form for the last 12 months or so, I'd have Root over Smith. Smith had an amazing 2015 and early 2016 in ODIs, but by his own high standards he tailed off a bit. In both 2016 and 2017, Root has a better average, SR and higher ratio of 50s and 100s per games played than Smith does (oddly, Root has a fairly similar rate of scoring 100s to most top ODI players, apart from Warner, who's been a bit of a freakshow recently. But he gets a lot more 50s, hence the perception that he tends to fall when set).

Smith's still bloody good. But for me Root nudges it.

It's all academic though. And past 12-18 months form means nothing if they don't produce over the next two weeks.

I've a feeling that Ross Taylor gets somewhat overlooked in discussions, not looked at anything to back that up but it seems as if he's had a good couple of years when in the side.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches