England v South Africa ODIs, 2017.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: England v South Africa ODIs, 2017.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon May 29, 2017 8:57 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
Stokes would like to see more England players playing IPL, and that's fine for him because he was playing every game, but it hasn't done Roy and Buttler any favours... sitting on their arses ahead of a major tournament

I'm not sure playing no fc cricket is great prep for playing ODIs.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby ianp1970 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:33 pm

I can definitely see more of a case for Bairstow being brought into the team at the last minute, than there was for Ballance at CWC 2015. He is a terrific player and currently in sublime ODI form, which would probably find him a place in each of the other 7 sides.

However, this group of players has transformed our 50 over game in the last 18 months - I remember typing on here that I never thought I'd see the day we would score 400 - that it seems very hasty to change a winning formula just before the first match of a tournament.

At least when we chopped and changed previously it was because we were always rubbish, and looking to do something to improve!

This time, we are rightly one of the favoured sides, coming on the back of some great performances put in by a consistently selected XI.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 pm

Yes, I'd stick wit the top seven.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Mon May 29, 2017 9:54 pm

andy wrote:I missed most of the game due to work, anyone watching this morning, was it poor batting, excellent bowling, crucial toss, or just one of those freak mornings?

Eoin Morgan criticised the pitch, said it was not suitable for ODI cricket and implied the game was lost at the toss!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon May 29, 2017 9:58 pm

that must be why SA struggled and struggled in their innings too
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Mon May 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:that must be why SA struggled and struggled in their innings too

:lol: Yep.
Looks as if his excuse was that batting first pretty much guaranteed a low score!

Asked if he was confident they would not have similar pitches in the upcoming tournament, he said: “I’d be disappointed if we did because any side that bats first has the potential to lose the game on the toss and in a major tournament it would be hard to take. It makes it one-sided, which I don’t think is good for anybody.”

captaincolly

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue May 30, 2017 3:54 am

I thought England were due a bit of a shocker, but I don't think there's any need for concern. Sometimes that happens, and it can happen to the best sides. Rather today, in a dead rubber, than on Thursday, as others have said. England's batting line-up, hasn't become poor overnight. They still are the best performing batting line-up since the 2015 WC.

England know who their best XI are, and Stokes' knee notwithstanding, it looks as if they will all be fit for Thursday. I don't think they will replace Roy with Bairstow at this stage, although that's the only possible change I can see (Bairstow opens for Yorkshire on List A games, doesn't he?).

Hales, Roy, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Rashid, Plunkett, Wood.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 30, 2017 9:36 am

The back up has two spare batters (Bairstow and Billings) and two spare pace options (Ball and Willey) but no spare spinner. So if Rashid had a poor tournament or he or Mo got injured, there is no alternative other than to replace him with a fast bowler. This seems to be a weakness in the squad, and perhaps illustrates a lack of faith in spin. Or a lot of faith in Joe Root.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby rich1uk » Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 am

you can replace an injured player i believe
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 30, 2017 9:44 am

OK. Maybe a cut off point for that though.

There's probably a good chance Bairstow and the fast bowlers will play. Doesn't feel all that likely Billings will get a game.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 30, 2017 9:54 am

A little disappointing Morgan was complaining that the Lord's pitch was too helpful for the bowlers. Personally I think competitive pitches make for better ODIs, but either way it makes his side look a little one dimensional that they were unable to adapt, or survive the short period when the ball is a useful weapon for the bowlers.

JB2 and a couple of the bowlers recovered things a bit, but really it was quite possible for them to do so much more as batting became much easier. I thought Bairstow and Willey were a bit disappointing for that reason. Plenty of good ODI sides have recovered through one of the bats and the lower order over the years. I don't excuse them from the criticism just because they scored more than the main batters.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Tue May 30, 2017 10:17 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:A little disappointing Morgan was complaining that the Lord's pitch was too helpful for the bowlers. Personally I think competitive pitches make for better ODIs, but either way it makes his side look a little one dimensional that they were unable to adapt, or survive the short period when the ball is a useful weapon for the bowlers.

JB2 and a couple of the bowlers recovered things a bit, but really it was quite possible for them to do so much more as batting became much easier. I thought Bairstow and Willey were a bit disappointing for that reason. Plenty of good ODI sides have recovered through one of the bats and the lower order over the years. I don't excuse them from the criticism just because they scored more than the main batters.

I agree. Bairstow and the lower order did well to partially recover things but all got out to soft dismissals when seemingly set.
captaincolly

Postby alfie » Tue May 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Arthur makes a good point. Once the innings had been at least put back into something resembling normal cricket it would surely have been better for Bairstow and Willey ( who by then didn't look to be having too much trouble with the bowling) to set themselves to just bat the overs - and if that meant 245 , so be it. At least it would have offered some hopes of defending if - as did appear to happen to an extent - the ball did a bit again after lunch .
Instead they seemed to be still after the now usual six per over...

Does this show a bit of a lack of flexibility in the team plan ? Certainly the early bats totally failed to adapt to the conditions or the situation.

OK it is nice to say "play with no fear" and "this is just a hiccup" ...but if they get a couple of sporty pitches for NZ and Australia and play like that the show could be over pretty quickly !

Not to panic - Morgan probably just wants to sound positive ( though if it had been , oh , Cook or Moores saying that he'd have been kicked to death on here :) ) Hopefully they have taken it on board internally ; and Root probably won't go so cheaply - to a good ball - too often.

The other issue is Roy. Morgan seems to have no concerns ; but when does faith become stubborn refusal to face reality ? He may come out firing against Bangladesh... and if he does we know how devastating he can be. But what if he fails again ?Do they still keep faith for NZ and Australia ?
It isn't just his lack of runs that bothers me ; but the fact that he's had very little time in the middle for months now. He has been a strong member of a winning team but that doesn't guarantee he will find form overnight - and I wonder if it should guarantee him a place ahead of a player who looks to be in excellent form but can't find a spot ?

If Bairstow were a regular opener I'd call it an open and shut case . As it is I can see the point in maintaining the "shape" In hopes it all comes right on the night. But I feel it is far from a clear decision and if they were to make a change I would not categorize it as a knee jerk reaction or any sort of panic. Indeed if they stick with the status quo and it all goes pear shaped then criticism of pigheadedness might be hard to deflect. Given all the optimism surrounding this team I hope for the selectors' sake that whatever they do decide pays off . The English cricket public is not renowned for sympathy and understanding...

Me , I'm just about tossing a coin between batting Bairstow at three after Hales and Root or giving Roy the Bangladesh game
to find form. But I am just a little afraid that even failure against Bangladesh might not sway Morgan's faith - and I think that would be taking continuity a little too far.
alfie

Postby m@tt » Tue May 30, 2017 9:11 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:OK. Maybe a cut off point for that though.

There's probably a good chance Bairstow and the fast bowlers will play. Doesn't feel all that likely Billings will get a game.

I think injury replacements can be called up at any time. In the 2011 WC, Morgan pulled out beforehand then returned mid-way through the tournament after KP got injured, whilst Tremlett, Dernbach and Rashid replaced Broad, Shahzad and Yardy midway through the tournament too - Rashid barely got there before England were knocked out!
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 pm

OK, thanks Matt.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches