First Test: England v South Africa, Lord's, July 6-10.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: First Test: England v South Africa, Lord's, July 6-10.

Postby The Professor » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:51 am

I, for one, am celebrating the return of Ballance. His County form alone has put him in contention for an international call up and if you add in the fact that he has previous experience internationally then it is something of a no brainer.

We forget that it is not an unnatural thing to drop a player for a period of time in order for them to refind their form and recalibrate their batting. Rahul Dravid, one of the finest players to ever bat in Ballance's position, was dropped from the international team three times in the late 1990s and went on to be prolific and undroppable. The only difference is that he was younger than Ballance is.

Ballance has played 38 Tests and his form split those performances into two categories. After his first seventeen tests he had an average of just under 70 with four hundreds and three fifties. In his next 21 Tests he only got over 50 twice and, by the time he was dropped, his average had got to 39.25. The Ballance that has been turning out for Yorkshire seems more reminiscent of the early years Ballance and one can only hope that he can be a driving force for England at number three against South Africa and Australia.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby rich1uk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:56 am

The Professor wrote:I, for one, am celebrating the return of Ballance. His County form alone has put him in contention for an international call up and if you add in the fact that he has previous experience internationally then it is something of a no brainer.

We forget that it is not an unnatural thing to drop a player for a period of time in order for them to refind their form and recalibrate their batting. Rahul Dravid, one of the finest players to ever bat in Ballance's position, was dropped from the international team three times in the late 1990s and went on to be prolific and undroppable. The only difference is that he was younger than Ballance is.

Ballance has played 38 Tests and his form split those performances into two categories. After his first seventeen tests he had an average of just under 70 with four hundreds and three fifties. In his next 21 Tests he only got over 50 twice and, by the time he was dropped, his average had got to 39.25. The Ballance that has been turning out for Yorkshire seems more reminiscent of the early years Ballance and one can only hope that he can be a driving force for England at number three against South Africa and Australia.

i agree tbh

i haven't seen a huge amount of him this season but what i have seen the problem he developed with going extremely deep in his crease and getting trapped with nowhere to go has gone

during that first spell with england where he was exceptional, he showed great discipline and patience, my only concern was it became quite easy to set fields to him and restrict his scoring because he was quite limited in the areas he played, which led to him getting bogged down at times

with teams now using spray charts to look at the areas batsmen favour it'll be interesting to see what fields SA do set for him
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby st_brendy » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Even as a Hampshire fan, I am not saying that I rate Dawson as a first-class level spinner. But at the end of the day, we're over half way through the D1 season and:

(a) Leach is the only English spinner with more wickets than Dawson - and that is only by two, despite having bowled 40 more over than Dawson, and playing on a turning wicket at home.

(b) Of those who have bowled at least 100 overs, Parry is the only English spinner with a better average than Dawson - being 27.9 vs 30.0. So hardly a huge difference there either.

Throw in the fact that Dawson can bat, was in the last test team, and is known to the England coaches and selectors, then it is maybe not the biggest shock in the world that he has been picked as a spin option. I appreciate that neither Rashid nor Moeen have particularly had the opportunity to get themselves involved in the above stats, given their involvement with the England limited overs sides.

I still wouldn't have picked himself, I'd have picked an extra man to bat in the top three (I know Dawson has actually batted there for us just recently, but he's not good enough for that - so surely won't be asked to bat there at international level). And then on the seamer front, I'd either go with the primary four, or decide to leave one of them out for TBJ if we didn't want to risk all of the fitness levels. Certainly wouldn't be picking all five. But if the call is to pick Moeen and another spinner, then I can understand going with Dawson. Crane for example is not ready yet, and may prove to never be ready/good enough.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Probably not possible to pick any England spinner based on CC performances this year.

As you say Brendy, I'd have picked a long term number three in the squad.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:53 pm

The Professor wrote:I, for one, am celebrating the return of Ballance. His County form alone has put him in contention for an international call up and if you add in the fact that he has previous experience internationally then it is something of a no brainer.

He was dropped after a rough time v NZ and Aus in 2015. On reselection, was lucky to be kept after a depressing series v Pakistan last summer, only to stretch that run into a tour of BD ending in demotion. His previous international experience amounts to him being a two time failure. He is described as being 'mentally tough' but what he actually has is an obvious flaw in the way he plays; and then he was picked again without doing anything to address it. I think it annoys people (me) that he was recalled last summer despite doing almost nothing to deserve another chance. And he was terrible. And now he's back, like a fortunate son, after just a mere glimpse of a recovery. I wonder a bit if his assumed mental character is the interpretation of coaches flattered by seeing their own values mirrored so clearly back at them.

I would have given him two years in CC to show better form. I feel those who have been doing well over recent seasons have been let down by not getting a chance.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby rich1uk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:05 pm

couple of things AC

firstly you say he has an obvious flaw in the way he plays, but he doesn't have the same flaw as he had back in 2015 when he was dropped for the first time, when his movement back in the crease became incredibly exaggerated

yes he shouldn't have been picked last year when he had done nothing to deserve it, i was very critical of that recall, but that wasn't his choice, the selectors picked him

lastly, that "mere glimpse" of form you mention is 800+ runs in 11 innings at an average above 100

if he hadn't be recalled last year when he was quite clearly still working his way out of the technical problem he had and hadn't earned it, i doubt anyone would even be blinking an eye about his selection now

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:31 pm

re Ballance.......... for once the selectors have picked a player who is in form now; at the moment; currently. In the past they would have overlooked him for this series, waited until he hit a blip in his season, and then called him up for the WI tour.

I have no problem with Dawson being selected, other than I was banking on his points for the T20 FL
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:35 pm

rich1uk wrote:lastly, that "mere glimpse" of form you mention is 800+ runs in 11 innings at an average above 100

if he hadn't be recalled last year when he was quite clearly still working his way out of the technical problem he had and hadn't earned it, i doubt anyone would even be blinking an eye about his selection now

A glimpse in time I meant. A month? His form is a high spike, but a brief one.

The latter point is true, but that's where we are. His selection last year was one of those decisions that have to work in order not to appear misguided. And given how badly he played on his recall, that's how his latest return will be judged.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Probably not possible to pick any England spinner based on CC performances this year.

As you say Brendy, I'd have picked a long term number three in the squad.

Isn't the number 3 likely to be Jennings when Hameed finds some form?
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Ballance was dropped with a test average over 50, that to me says all that was obvious at the time....he didn't look test standard. His career so far is built on innings vs pretty bad bowling attacks, OK he scored v jadeja and ashwin, but before either had really cemented their own test status, and on docile pitches.

Against good bowling, he's look bang average at best. His only decent innings against Pakistan was inside edge central. He simply hangs on without (a) scoring options around the wicket. He's an easy bat to suffocate due to his limited range of ability..(b) he ain't got much of a defensive technique.

I'd hazard to guess he is the epitome of a player who will excel with his guts and determination against bowlers with a more limited ability, determination or concentration to beat his stubborness.

Against world class bowlers moving the ball, he's toast
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:18 pm

I guess we'll see. If he can handle Rabada, Philander and Morkel, then that's definitely on the tougher side (although probably still not as rough as facing Starc, Hazlewood and Pattinson in Australia). I hope he succeeds, but I am not overly optimistic :(
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby alfie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:52 am

rich1uk wrote:i've never really been a fan of picking someone just in case someone else in the XI gets injured

if a player isn't 100% fit and able to get through a 5 day test they shouldn't be getting picked in the first place

I'm not either. But it does look as if they are suggesting Stokes may not bowl , does it not ? Which - if it is the case - raises the question : would you include Stokes just as a batsman ? I suspect most would...

Alternative view is that Dawson will play and Moeen is being shunted into concentrating on trying to fill the number five slot and acting as just a part time bowler.

Guess we will find out on Thursday.
alfie

Postby alfie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:09 am

And after reading the last few pages it seems popular opinion on here is that Dawson will play ; which does surprise me a little ...

Why not Rashid ? Not that I am totally against Dawson -who did play the last Test , after all - but I'd have thought Rashid has more wicket taking form on the board.

I would have preferred a number three bat ; but I guess Root will stay there (Bayliss likes the top man at three) and Ballance at four. His form has earned the chance , I suppose ; but it is surely his last.
alfie

Postby rich1uk » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:16 am

alfie wrote:And after reading the last few pages it seems popular opinion on here is that Dawson will play ; which does surprise me a little ...

Why not Rashid ? Not that I am totally against Dawson -who did play the last Test , after all - but I'd have thought Rashid has more wicket taking form on the board.

I would have preferred a number three bat ; but I guess Root will stay there (Bayliss likes the top man at three) and Ballance at four. His form has earned the chance , I suppose ; but it is surely his last.

its only the popular opinion because of the squad thats been picked and the decision is between dawson and roland-jones, so either 5 seamers and ali as the spin option or 4 seamers with dawson and ali

if we ignore the squad thats been picked i doubt many people would be picking dawson ahead of rashid

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:05 am

rich1uk wrote:
alfie wrote:And after reading the last few pages it seems popular opinion on here is that Dawson will play ; which does surprise me a little ...

its only the popular opinion because of the squad thats been picked and the decision is between dawson and roland-jones, so either 5 seamers and ali as the spin option or 4 seamers with dawson and ali

if we ignore the squad thats been picked i doubt many people would be picking dawson ahead of rashid

I wouldn't.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches