England vs West Indies First test Edgbaston

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: England vs West Indies First test Edgbaston

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 pm

DiligentDefence wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:The constant droaning of this song from the crowd is doing my nut in

Great minds think alike.

They clearly let a load of villa fans in
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Malan just doesn't look like surviving at this level. I wish Sky could give you the option of turning down the effects volume, the crowd is beyond insufferable. I can't imagine Day Night tests are particularly family friendly.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby ianp1970 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
DiligentDefence wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:The constant droaning of this song from the crowd is doing my nut in

Great minds think alike.

If that's the Villa song then no wonder their team is $H!T - who could stand playing in front of such a racket for 90 minutes every fortnight??
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 pm

ianp1970 wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:
DiligentDefence wrote:

Great minds think alike.

If that's the Villa song then no wonder their team is $H!T - who could stand playing in front of such a racket for 90 minutes every fortnight??

I think it's an England football song

I'd never sit in the Eric hollies stand for a test, full of mouth breathers in fancy dress who drink 20 pints and make a racket

I feel like shooter mcgavin
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 pm

what the hell, looks cold, doesn't look much of a full house.
what is this football, chanting the football songs and stuff.
not a fan of day night cricket in the uk, at least in australia it works and the weather is good and the fans actually want to watch cricket during the night.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:27 pm

150 for Cook, been a really good knock from him today, just needs to make sure he's there in the morning.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Malan just doesn't look like surviving at this level. I wish Sky could give you the option of turning down the effects volume, the crowd is beyond insufferable. I can't imagine Day Night tests are particularly family friendly.

doesn't even look like the crowd are even there to watch the cricket, wonder how many are there to get smashed, just like the T20 blast games.
probably explains the empty stadium now.
it will have to see if day night test works outside the novelty aspect of it.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm

backfootpunch wrote:I feel like shooter mcgavin

This is Cricket, for GOD SAKE man
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Good day for England, well, Cook and Root.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 pm

sussexpob wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:I feel like shooter mcgavin

This is Cricket, for GOD SAKE man

Go back to your shanties

backfootpunch

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Pretty hard to stand the drunkenness at international games until 6pm. Might be intolerable by 9pm.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Pretty hard to stand the drunkenness at international games until 6pm. Might be intolerable by 9pm.

People are still at the ground for the same amount of time though, and today wasn't the first time I've been highly annoyed by the singing in the crowd, the Moeen, Moeen, Moeen Ali chants from the last tour of South Africa were pretty unbearable. If the ECB want to push cricket as a more game of all walks and backgrounds then we're going to get a lot more of a football atmosphere, Edgebaston hasbeen known for years as the ground you get that sort of atmosphere, Vaughan was even promoting it before the start of play. Headingly is the other that springs to mind.

I've not seen much international cricket outside of London for a few years now, but today was nothing worse than what I have seen at Friday night T20s at the OVal.
Making_Splinters

Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:55 am

bhaveshgor wrote:what the hell, looks cold, doesn't look much of a full house.
what is this football, chanting the football songs and stuff.
not a fan of day night cricket in the uk, at least in australia it works and the weather is good and the fans actually want to watch cricket during the night.

Because Public Transport in England does not cater for late evening events and services are still stuck in the dark ages, Birmingham New Street station is something like 2.5 miles from Edgbaston. In Australia they tend to put on chartered services for a number of events.

Day/Night cricket is pointless in England when the evening cools down quickly or daylight lingers, public transport becomes less frequent after 6pm and virtually non-existent after 9pm.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:18 am

A few thoughts from my day there yesterday:

It was a packed house (not 100% full, but over 90% - pretty good for a weekday against a poor opposition), but the Hollies stand did get annoying after a while. Other parts of the ground were more civilised, thankfully. It was interesting that the crowd began to clear out in the last hour to the extent that the ground was half empty by 9.30, but the consensus was that the shuttle buses back were going to cease shortly after 9.30, and people were concerned that if there was heavy traffic leaving the stadium, last trains/buses home might be missed, or they'd be getting home at midnight with work tomorrow. Something the powers that be have to work on.

Good to see Cook back among the 100s, even if that was probably the easiest international hundred he'll ever score. He's had it tough in the last couple of series, without an opening partner to rely on, and has probably done better than his average suggests, but with several 50s but no ton, good to see him convert to a big one.

Stoneman looked to have a good technique in his brief stay at the crease and was unlucky to get the best ball of the day early on. Westley on the other hand never look comfortable, and did not convince at all. Malan played very tentatively after giving that initial chance (I can't believe how much respect he showed to part time spinners who were a class below those he habitually destroys on the T20 circuit), but he was clearly growing in confidence towards the end. Being not out overnight will be good boost for him, and he'll never have a better opportunity to get a score and cement his place. That said, hard to say if he'll be a long term solution. He came in to bat at what should have been the hardest time of the day to play, under lights, fired up Roach, new ball due, and was instead allowed to play himself in against several overs of Brathwaite's unthreatening spin.

The pink ball did more or less what was expected - a little early movement but that went away quickly, but then it did a bit more under the lights, especially the second new ball. Emphasis on a bit, however - it was hardly jagging about all over the place.

West Indies bowling was horrible all day, and backed up by some atrocious fielding. It wasn't just the misfields, but the complete lack of effort chasing things down and backing up the bowlers. Cummins was pick of the bowlers for me, at least managed to put together a few consistent overs in a couple of spells. Roach ran in hard and gave it his all, but is down on pace from his peak and still gave away too many cheap runs. Holder was completely innocuous and never looked like taking a wicket, Chase can only have been bowling to try and up the (pathetic) over rate, and Joseph was simply appalling - I think he bowled a boundary ball every single over, and never got more than two deliveries in a row on target. I think it was a mistake for the West Indies to go with a four man pace attack with no spinner, despite what I said above about spinners at Edgbaston - Bishoo would have lent some variety and control to an otherwise wayward and one-dimensional attack.

Unless West Indies get better, fast, it's going to be a horribly one-sided series, but that won't surprise anyone.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby The Professor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:00 am

Surprises me how many people called the last two sessions of yesterday 'boring'

Two exceptional batsmen going about their business is one of the best things you can see.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches