Australia tour of Bangladesh, Aug 22-Sept 8

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Australia tour of Bangladesh, Aug 22-Sept 8

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:30 am

Wee Davey has a start here, should really be making this count.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 am

A lot on Warner now - particularly until (unless ?) Handscomb gets settled.

He has been rather restrained today ; but seems determined to sell his wicket dearly , contrary to his reputation on these pitches...and Australia could do with a repeat of last week's effort from him.

Not that this one is exactly spinning like a top - yet. Really important they make the runs in this first innings.

Reckon the target must be something close to 400 as batting last is likely to be a different matter altogether.
alfie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 am

I think Wade will play, because there doesn't seem to be a viable alternative at the moment.

Khawaja will probably come back, as he makes runs on the pathetically flat decks Australia has been serving up recently.

Number 6 is the big question mark. The Marsh brothers, Head and Maxi don't seem to be up to it, but who else is there?

Still, it's not as if England don't have very similar problems.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 am

Surely for England the Aussies will look for the fast(ish), bouncy pitches they produced last time. I'm not sure there will be batting pitches. I'm not saying they will manage a mid-seventies WACA track, but they will do what is possible.

Doubly so after the micro-management of the surfaces in England in 2015.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:41 am

Back in Australia the batsman will be making runs whilst their quicks will take wickets because they are that good at bowling on Australias lifeless wickets.

And then the ACB will be happy and there is nothing wrong with this team.............

Carthwright has a chance here to be batting 6 for the first ashes test. Handscomb also needs a score to cement his place.

And unless wade does something here, then they will have to change him.

And there are still question marks over Renshaw. Young opener playing in his first Ashes.....
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby yuppie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:52 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Surely for England the Aussies will look for the fast(ish), bouncy pitches they produced last time. I'm not sure there will be batting pitches. I'm not saying they will manage a mid-seventies WACA track, but they will do what is possible.

Does Australia actually do that though. Sure we know the Poms do it as well as other countries, but it always seems that Australia does not do it. And its annoying as the the pitches in Australia are all becoming to similar. :Nooooo
yuppie

Postby alfie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:53 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Surely for England the Aussies will look for the fast(ish), bouncy pitches they produced last time. I'm not sure there will be batting pitches. I'm not saying they will manage a mid-seventies WACA track, but they will do what is possible.

Pitches will be generally dead. Why would they want to make things easier for visiting fast bowlers ? Australia tends to win at home by making serious runs - sometimes despite having fairly ordinary batting lineups. They will back their bowlers to get the visitors out anyway.
England should actually want a couple of lively tracks : best winning chance is to do as South Africa did and bowl Australia out cheaply in their first innings.
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:01 am

yuppie wrote:

Does Australia actually do that though. Sure we know the Poms do it as well as other countries, but it always seems that Australia does not do it. And its annoying as the the pitches in Australia are all becoming to similar. :Nooooo

There weren't any sluggish pitches on show for the latest whitewash. And until England grew demoralised later in the series, Australia didn't make big runs. Healy kept digging them out of a hole, and Smith got a few because he is one of the great bats. Even Adelaide had bounce.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby alfie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:01 am

yuppie wrote:

They don't need to do anything special : the normal nature of Australian pitches is so alien to other countries - with the exception of South Africa. Chiefly the bounce ; and adjusting to significantly higher bounce is far harder , even for top class players , than the reverse.

Also think far too much is made of alleged "doctoring" of pitches in other countries. For the most part the choice is between producing flat boring pitches or pitches that tend to suit the local bowlers : surely that's a no brainer ? And doesn't strike me as particularly unfair (though losing teams often grumble).
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am

Actually the scores weren't that high later in the series either. The Aussies just got a big score at Adelaide and made some third innings runs when they had their foot on the throat. The whitewash was a bowlers series.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby alfie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
yuppie wrote:

There weren't any sluggish pitches on show for the latest whitewash. And until England grew demoralised later in the series, Australia didn't make big runs. Healy kept digging them out of a hole, and Smith got a few because he is one of the great bats. Even Adelaide had bounce.

Disagree. Those pitches were nothing like the ones around in the last century : Johnson might have had batsmen hopping ; but by and large the scoring was kept down because there weren't many good (and in form) batsmen on display.

And pitches in subsequent years have generally got even flatter.
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

Fifty for Warner, a big turnaround for him, scoring at a sensible rate too.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby alfie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Fifty for Warner, a big turnaround for him, scoring at a sensible rate too.

Determined to prove he's not just a FTB .

In fairness to Warner : I remember him making a fine hundred in a losing cause against NZ on a pitch on which all his teammates failed - this was very early in his career. Somehow he has subsequently established a huge difference between his home and away records ; but I'm not sure he's as hopeless as all that overseas - when he puts his mind to it.

(That ought to bring Shanky out of hiding to tell me I'm an idiot :) )
alfie

Postby alfie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 am

45 stand...Handscomb on to 20.

Australia traveling pretty well here . Need a significant lead so there is still a long way to go ; but this has certainly established a decent platform. And the Bangladesh spinners haven't really looked all that dangerous this afternoon.

Could be a good match if the oft-threatened weather doesn't interfere.
alfie

Postby yuppie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:22 am

Wonderful batting from these 2, Handscomb with a much needed 50. Certainly needs to go on with it. Nice to see wee Dave putting his head down.

Australia are always 1 wicket away from a collapse, but they have got themselves into a great position here. And they are scoring at a good rate as well :salute
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches