England vs West Indies 2nd test Headingley

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: England vs West Indies 2nd test Headingley

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:50 pm

I guess Root wanted a second new ball.

Not many were predicting West Indies would get that.

Pretty amazing. After seeing Moeen's over last night I thought the spin would win the game if all else failed.

Well done and congratulations WI, particularly Shai, Kkraig and Mikesiva. Not forgetting some sterling work from the pace bowlers. Should be entertaining to watch the highlights.

Four day Tests? Great idea!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:00 pm

Congrats to the WIndies. Full credit is due for the way they held their nerve when it seemed as though the tide was turning in England's favour.

I love it when England's arrogant press/media get things so very, very wrong, and end up looking like turnips... arrogant turnips. It's just a shame that the team has to suffer for the mistakes of others.

All to play for
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby ianp1970 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 pm

ianp1970 wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:300 lead.

Not sure why there is talk of a declaration. Very risky.

Can't see Windies going at 3.35 runs per over, even if they get close we should be able to see the game out defensively.

FWIW I see them being 225 all out about 4:30pm tomorrow.

:facepalm How wrong can you get? :oops:

Well done WI, winning probably 13 of the 15 sessions :clap
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:46 pm

Got to own up to a rather rash criticism about the talent of the Hope bros. Though in my defence, I was just trying to stir up a little chat on a quiet day. Even so, I can't talk nah.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 pm

if anyone wants more prove bumble racist.
pretty clear is he only talking about india.
I understand the players are disappointed about the ICC's actions in this Test. It's a nonsense, of course, to punish anyone for swearing in frustration at themselves when a boundary is scored of a catch is dropped. And the anomaly comes if the umpires do not understand the language being spoken out there. We all know of one Test team who are major offenders and get away with this…

didn't anderson get away with so much crap, so bit odd to just target india bumble.

might be wrong but didn't jadeja get banned for a test and is pretty much close to bigger suspesion soon, at root got away with 3 demerit points with the same crime that jadeja did.
but of course the racist dude will never see that or mention that.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Maybe Lloyd is more of one-eyed patriot than a racist! Sport often provokes that kind of thinking/feeling.

Nativism I think it's now called.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe Lloyd is more of one-eyed patriot than a racist! Sport often provokes that kind of thinking/feeling.

whatever it is the guy needs to stop makes him look sad probably explain why no one outside sky even wants to use the guy.
really was no need to take a dig at an unnamed team, especially since that team has nothing to do with the charge or not even playing this series or test match.
not sure how that team relates to the umpires stopping swearing in this game.
Who knows Kohli or who ever says it in the indian team, might get a demerit point in the next game for saying benchoad or what ever words they say.
might even be a new policy started from icc last week to stop all kinds of swear words, so what was the need to take a dig at another team.

plus I find it hard to believe that no one in the cricketing world will know what the swearwords are in a foreign language if they are used all the time, umpires and players should know a lot of swearwords in other language so to even think that umpires don't take action because they don't understand the world is stupid considering clearly bumble can understand it if he is accusing a team of getting away with it.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:19 pm

According to Mark Nicholas (who is on top oleaginous form on the highlight) says no one has ever scored two tons in one match in all fc cricket at Headingley. Surprising. Shai did it, and Kkraig came within a hair too.

Nicholas also said in his preamble tonight that England had already saved the game and now it was a question of winning it...
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Maybe Lloyd is more of one-eyed patriot than a racist! Sport often provokes that kind of thinking/feeling.

whatever it is the guy needs to stop makes him look sad probably explain why no one outside sky even wants to use the guy.
really was no need to take a dig at an unnamed team, especially since that team has nothing to do with the charge or not even playing this series or test match.
Who knows Kohli or who ever says it in the indian team, might get a demerit point in the next game for saying benchoad or what ever words they say.
might even be a new policy started from icc last week to stop all kinds of swear words, so what was the need to take a dig at another team.

Don't Indian players use English swear words? I thought English swearing was universal. Maybe typical British parochialism on my part.

I presume the swearing thing is just because of the stump mics being amplified into our living rooms. In the UK, that shouldn't happen pre-watershed, probably in other countries too. I don't think anyone feels swearing out of frustration is a problem for any other reason, so Lloyd is being disingenuous as he must realise that. Solution. Turn off the stump mics. You can have that one ICC.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 pm

too many pundits and english fan in other forums were getting arrogant, like sussex said it was a stupid declaration.
actually quite funny in one of the other forums I post in, you can't even post that it was a poor declaration without someone attacking you for saying it.
although that forum most of the people are pretty clueless about cricket.
sussex is spot on, was quite stupid to declare at that time, if they really wanted to declare at that many overs then they really should have scored quickly.
root got is calculation wrong.
PS you are allowed to criticise captain for being too lenient just like you can criticise them for being too conservative.
that is a pretty stupid point to make just because you criticise cook and Strauss for being conservative that you can't critise for them losing a game after declaring.
if you lose a game declaring then you obviously didn't get it right.
you don't bloody lose a game when you declare.
you meant to declare when only a draw or win is possible for you, not all 3 results for the team.
if you gonna declare at least set a tough total for WI, not something so easy like this one on a flattie deck.
they only needed to bat the day out and win and not even take a risk.
they literally could have seen any tough spell out and they did.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:

Don't Indian players use English swear words? I thought English swearing was universal. Maybe typical British parochialism on my part.

I presume the swearing thing is just because of the stump mics being amplified into our living rooms. In the UK, that shouldn't happen pre-watershed, probably in other countries too. I don't think anyone feels swearing out of frustration is a problem for any other reason, so Lloyd is being disingenuous as he must realise that. Solution. Turn off the stump mics. You can have that one ICC.

they usually use the indian ones,
basically if the umpires hear you swear, then you are in trouble and you can even be in trouble if the umpires didn't hear you but the tvs did.
the stump mikes are only a problem because some players are being charged on tv evidence or hearing tv evidence.
but holder was charged on what the umpire heard.
indian players do also use english ones but bumble was taking a dig at foreign swearword and the only team that I know that swears a lot in another language is indian players, kohli in particular is seen swearing all the time.
you could pretty much lip read him.
really was no need for him to say teams get away from using non english swearword when one he has no prove and secondly they only started taking action on swearword on this game and india or any sub c team haven't played a test lately outside Bangladesh.
so who knows next time india, sri lanka etc play they might get done for swearing in another language.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:41 pm

like I said 12 months ago, it is pretty obvious that mistrust on the icc penalising players still exist, this point system was meant to change it, but it looks like it not really changed much yet.
generally you get english/Aussie players/media etc think india players get away with it.
you have indian players/media think english or aussie players get away with it.
and then you have the players outside the big 3 think the big 3 players get away with it.

they probably need to use their brains on the demerit system and not be uber strict but the policy is quite good since they generally taking action on all player they do still need to be more universal in giving the charges.
probably need to cut out on the requirements for level 1 charges, bit dopey to get done for swearing one word or some of the minor stuff in the rules, also bit harsh on the accidental 3 point demerit points like jadeja and rabada got charged on.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:44 pm

I accept that it was a risky declaration. But I thought it was an acceptable risk. Suggesting England were arrogant in their calculation is too strong a criticism for me. Of course captains take into account the strength of the opposition when they declare. Of course they wouldn't have offered that to the Australian side of Steve Waugh and Allan Border. The apparent weakness of WI batting had to be part of the decision. Root wouldn't have given that equation to India, naturally. He took a chance to squeeze a win.

I think it actually does the WI more justice to recognise the excellence of their effort. Suggesting that Root gambled while intoxicated on the fumes of his own side's superiority (I know that's an exaggeration) diminishes what WI achieved. As if England asked too little of them- when in fact scoring those runs was a big task.

By the way, how many times have we listened to the bored commentators willing the captain to declare in the third innings while the ascendant side ground on, and say if the opposition get these runs we shake hands and say bloody well done? Well I bet a few aren't saying that now. Nicholas at least implied Root declared too early, on the highlights.

ANd then went on to say this was the best comeback ever! It was great, but it was a long way from that!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm

Not sure it was that big of a total on the conditions the players had.
Really you could probably blame the defeat on stokes, bairstow and malan dismissal on day 4.
If they didn't play stupid cricket, they would have won or drew.
That small period cost England the game since it made root declare after Ali knock.
Like I said at the time it was stupid for stokes and England to play declaration cricket at 160 odd lead.
What the hell were they thinking.
Lucky for me they played stupid cricket and I left at that time would have lost money otherwise.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:50 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:you have indian players/media think english or aussie players get away with it.
and then you have the players outside the big 3 think the big 3 players get away with it.

That's inevitable, caring about the outcome makes people biased even to the point they see and hear different things. Classic case being the ball bouncing on the line in the 1966 WC final. English people see that it's in, Germans see that it bounced out.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches