Australia limited overs tour of India, Sept 17-Oct 8

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Australia limited overs tour of India, Sept 17-Oct 8

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:17 am

100 for finch, bit of a forgotten man.

Short boundaries, so far nothign for the bowlers. I think Australia will need over 350 to be competitive here.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:31 am

Time to start picking up the pace, otherwise that 350 will be a bridge too far.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm

300 will be a brdge to far :no
yuppie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Maybe harder to bat later on.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Easy in the end for India, and they move to number 1 in the ODI rankings.
yuppie

Postby meninblue » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Three consecutive series wins. WI, SL and now against Australia. :dance

It may be tough, however i hope we convert this 3-0 into 5-0 to win series very comprehensively.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 pm

I cannot fathom how Australia are still number 3 ranked ODI side in the world, after their horrendous away form.

Looking at their record over the last 12 months, they have played 22, won 8, lost 12, NR 2. 7 of those 8 wins came at home vs New Zealand and a very poor Pakistan side, with the only away win v Ireland in September last year. Since then they have lost 11 completed away ODIs on the bounce. Their win/loss record of 0.66 is 9th out of 12 full members, just behind Bangladesh's 0.7, ahead of just Sri Lanka, Ireland and West Indies.

Meanwhile, England (ranked just behind them) and South Africa (just ahead) have almost identical records for the period, with win loss records of 2.66 at almost identical run rates, while India are deservedly well out in front.

I know the rankings take into account two years' worth of matches, but I thought more recent games were given more weight? Both in tests and ODIs, this current Australian side are looking very much like home-track bullies (even given the pretty big home advantage enjoyed by all teams in cricket in this era).
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby yuppie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 am

Australias away record has to be close to the worse it has ever been.

They seem to be clueless in the sub continent. Missing a couple of players, but not enough to hide the fact that it appears to be to easy to get baggy greens. Trying to build for the future, but maybe making it a little to easy at present.
yuppie

Postby andy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Agar still dosen't convince me as a spinner...would much rather see Zampa play..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby yuppie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Agar seems to be Lehmans pet project. He did ok in BD, but they seem to have discarded Zampa pretty quick. I can only think that they are trying to get as amany spinners as possible to get experience in these conditions. Lyon is Australias best spinner, so waht if he bats 11 and dosenot contribute with the bat. There are many players in this team not contributing with the bat at present.
yuppie

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:54 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:I cannot fathom how Australia are still number 3 ranked ODI side in the world, after their horrendous away form.

Looking at their record over the last 12 months, they have played 22, won 8, lost 12, NR 2. 7 of those 8 wins came at home vs New Zealand and a very poor Pakistan side, with the only away win v Ireland in September last year. Since then they have lost 11 completed away ODIs on the bounce. Their win/loss record of 0.66 is 9th out of 12 full members, just behind Bangladesh's 0.7, ahead of just Sri Lanka, Ireland and West Indies.

Meanwhile, England (ranked just behind them) and South Africa (just ahead) have almost identical records for the period, with win loss records of 2.66 at almost identical run rates, while India are deservedly well out in front.

I know the rankings take into account two years' worth of matches, but I thought more recent games were given more weight? Both in tests and ODIs, this current Australian side are looking very much like home-track bullies (even given the pretty big home advantage enjoyed by all teams in cricket in this era).

TBH quite baffled how Australia won the world cup in 2015,in this moment of time reckon india, England etc would beat them at home as well.
if the world cup was being played now in Australia/NZ not sure australia would be winning it.
batting gone backwards, over reliant on Smith and Warner, with finch struggling with injuries.
haven't really been able to replace Watson, Clarke, Haddin which caused maxwell, Faulkner etc to be able to bat more higher up or they batting was more important.
they batting isn't really that good, probably weaker than WI.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby yuppie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Australia won the 2015 world cup because they had Clarke, Watson, Haddin, Johnson, Starc and Hazelwood all playing in Australian conditions who are not playing in india now. Australia was easily the best team at the world cup when playing in Australian conditions. Maxwell was a luxury that could be accomidated and Faulkner seems far from the player he is now. Finch was australias worse player in the WC and he made 100 yesterday. Maxwell and Faulkner are fine luxuary players, but they dont seem to be able to handle the pressure of being main players.

Compare the bowling line up in the WC final to what played yesterday. Starc, Hazelwood, Johnson, Faulkner, Watson and Maxwell vs Cummins, Couter nile, Richardson, Stonis, Agar and Maxwell.

Johnnson had played more ODIs then all those bowlers who played yesterday combined :panic

I would fancy Australia to knock India over in Australia with a full team. Indead last year they beat India 4-1, loosing the 5th match at the SCG where INdia would be expected to do well and Australias bowling line up was Boland, Hasting, M Marsh and Faulkner. A fully fit Australia now would have Starc, Hazelwood and Cummings bowling, i would be confident that would get results in Australia. I remember the Indian bats having no answer to Starc in the Semi Final at the world cup.

The problem for Australia is that they do not have the players who can perform in conditions away from Australia.
yuppie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:47 am

Spot on, yuppie. Australia has plenty of batting that can prosper when the ball isn't doing much (Warner, Finch, Maxwell, Faulkner when he was in form), but apart from Smith, they don't seem to have anyone who can really dig in when the ball is turning or moving off the seam. Hence they lose in India, New Zealand and England, whereas the pitches that are produced in Australia at the moment, especially for ODIs (but more and more often for tests too, sadly) just have so little for the bowlers that the batsmen's shortcomings are not exposed (see also Voges, Khawaja, etc.).

If you recall, it was the same in the world cup. Almost every game played in Australia was won by the team batting first and scoring 320+. Australia lost in the only game they played in New Zealand.

With the pace and accuracy of a fit Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood (and formerly Johnson when he got it right) Australia can bowl teams out on those surfaces, but without them they can't keep powerful batting orders like India's in check.

I'd bank on Australia to beat India in ODIs at home still if their bowlers are fully fit, as the Australian pitches won't turn at all, and India doesn't have the express pace of Starc and Cummins.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby yuppie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:00 am

Strong start from the Aussie openers, but thats not really Australias problem of late.

Can they get a win today? Batting first has to help.......
yuppie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:36 am

Wickets starting to fall now though, and Smith out.

That's only a so-so looking bowling attack for the Aussies.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches