The Ashes: Brisbane.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes: Brisbane.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 am

All the top seven apart from Cook got a good start, at least getting to 40, but no one got a ton. They showed they could make runs, but were outthought once in. That exposes a big weakness in the England batting.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 am

Odd , that.

Would generally expect once they were "in" they'd have started to find things easier ; and at least some would have gone on with it. Though of course only Smith went on with it for Australia (not counting the second Aus innings where the fizz was gone from the game after a dozen or so overs)

Do think that England bats these days generally aren't as geared to batting endlessly onwards , even on placid wickets , as their counterparts from Australia or India , for example. Even when a Root or a Stokes , say , gets a big hundred they usually get it pretty fast. So when they have to grind out the runs time gets them making a mistake - sometimes with minimal actual impact from the bowler (Vince run out , Malan careless hook ) I guess I'm suggesting it is primarily a failure of concentration rather than skill.

Which may give a glimmer of hope : if some of the other wickets are a bit livelier , although there may be a few cheap dismissals , that will probably apply to both sides : and the advantage that a Smith marathon confers over a Root frisky fifty might not weigh in...

Alternatively Cook might settle in - when he does get going he is one player we know doesn't get tired of batting ! Not sure what he was thinking of second innings...

One can hope that this match provided the serious match practice that was missing from the flimsy warm ups and they are all better for the experience. Otherwise it is going to be a rough tour.
alfie

Postby Wiljoy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:46 am

I hope we aussies don't get too carried away with this belting of a crappy Pommy cricket outfit,our team is only about 50% as good as our earlier teams,( how many of the current side would make it into the teams of the Chappel Brothers,Steve Waugh's side Alan Borders side,Rick Ponting's side ????) not many I would say. Frankly I think the pommies team is very poor quality players.
Finally I would like to congratulate Steve Smith & Cummings on their magnificent stand that enabled Australia to thump the poms,well controlled batting from both boys.
You can't propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back
Wiljoy

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:51 am

Yes good display by your boys Wiljoy.

Good post Alfie. I think that's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:59 am

Yes, England needs players who can play long innings, like some Aussie players and Indians.

Chet batted so long that the bowlers were tired and it allowed Virat and Rohit to flourish. Smith and Michael Clarke are also long stay players. These players stay on the ground as if they have paid rent of wicket for 2 days one night. Imo Cook is also one of such player who has bored opponents to highest possible state. The player who bores the opponent's most is Chet and Cook is next boring batsman for opponents. Problem is that Cook cannot produce these 200 plus knocks frequently. I think he scored one 200 in last few months. Some other English batter has to play the long innings when Cook is not scoring a big ton or double. Otherwise with the other players capable of scoring only 50 odds the totals will be less and opponents won't be under score board pressure. For posting mammoth totals of 500 and 600, England will need Cook and Joe. I cannot see other batters in this team capable of playing for one and half day or more.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:03 am

Congrats to the Aussies - a fitting day and moment to remember the late Phil Hughes.
KipperJohn

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Think the bad part of the first test for an england perspective was the failures of Cook and root.
Cook because he failed all times in this series so far and Root for getting out in a similar way and giving an Australian team an opening to getting him out with him falling over at the crease and being vulnerable to the lbw.
Actually think Root definitely need a score in the second test otherwise it could be a tough series for root and the England team for the rest of the series.
Don't really expect cook to get a score at all in the series so no point mentioning him.
from the english batsman this test, Stoneman looks the most assured and looks like he can do well in this series, can't say the same for the rest of the batsman.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Bob willis Verdict for the Ashes test.
Got to feel for the Sky commentators though apart from Athers and Botham none of them are in australia working on the series and the commentators have to do the reporting or covering of the series either on the papers or on Sky sports cricket site.
actually surprised Sky sports are covering the Ashes properly expected them to act like the Ashes didn't exist this winter.
http://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/1 ... e-and-more

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:16 pm

England need something from key players for whom this Ashes is probably sees them entering what should be their peak, mainly Root, Mo, Bairstow, Woakes. Stokes would have been in this category. England's future probably depends on how dominant they can be.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:40 pm

I'm expecting England to thump the Aussies in Adelaide.

It's the way test series seem to go these days, especially between sides that on paper are not to far apart in quality terms.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:11 pm

backfootpunch wrote:Jake ball needs to learn how to bowl a bouncer

Bowled some appalling ones

Get them at the body not 10 foot over their head outside off

Makes Overton's omission more baffling, if Ball was playing an enforcer role he should already have the bouncer delivery in his armoury.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby andy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Wonder if Cummins may be rested at adelaide? Has played a lot of tests recently, given his history, and im sure Sayers will play at Adelaide..wonder if cummins might sit one out..?
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 pm

More likely than the last Mitch or Haze sitting it out I think.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:05 pm

A bit wishful thinking, referring to him as the Last Mitch, Arthur.

For a start, the factory is still going strong, there are plenty to come yet.

Also, you haven't seen the last of Mitch 3. He will be back in Aus colours. At least that's my prediction. He may even replace his brother, when he wears out his current welcome (or injures himself)
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:22 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:Think the bad part of the first test for an england perspective was the failures of Cook and root.
Cook because he failed all times in this series so far
Don't really expect cook to get a score at all in the series so no point mentioning him.

I wish I could argue this point, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you're right, even if you're a bit blunt about it. This might be one tour too far.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches