South Africa v India tests - Jan 2018

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: South Africa v India tests - Jan 2018

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:01 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not really using it as an excuse I don't think. Just an observation. Money shouldn't be a problem given how much the ECB has abandoned in its procurement. Exposure and reach is what English cricket lacks.

Cricket moving off FTA has a lot to answer for. The effects weren't felt for a few years because the players that would become the team of 2009-12 that had quite a bit of success were already in the system, which disguised the problem. Now that we're almost on to a new generation since cricket moved to Sky, the effects of the lack of reach on the depth of talent coming through are obvious.

I agree with AC and doc - England shouldn't have any excuses resourcing wise. The test team certainly underperforms at present. But there's no magic bullet - it's going to take time to fix the system. Let's hope the fallout from the Ashes will begin the process of change. Based on previous thrashings, I am doubtful.

I am not sure what to expect for India in England - if Anderson bowls as well as he did last summer, England will probably win, but that's a big if. India certainly have the ability to win, and I'll be astonished if they don't win at least a test or two. But England's inconsistency, the weather, India's general difficulties batting in England and the possibility of being ambushed on a greentop means that it's not a foregone conclusion either way. The only thing I will say with conviction is that India should do better in England than England did in India.
Last edited by bigfluffylemon on Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:02 am

Dr Cricket wrote:All in all I think at the moment india and Australia are more likely to beat England in England Than it is for England to beat india or austrlaia in India or Australia.
TBH at the moment england target is probably beating Sri Lanka, nz, pakistan, wi etc away from Home as well.

Beating Pakistan away? No chance with the current mob.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby meninblue » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 am

I hope we avoid a whitewash. 1996 was better. At least two batters came to a party there. There was hope with those batsmen and they did build one of the most memorable partnership overshoot. Here Virat alone is giving a fight. Obviously it's wrong to compare this batters with Fab 4.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby yuppie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:18 am

Is this SA team is as good as everyone thinks? Beaten easily by England and NZ gave them a good contest last time they toured.

An amazing pace attack but im not convinced by the batting. I wonder what pitches Australia will get when they tour.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:45 am

yeah batting is quite poor and will probably struggle as well in the future when Amla and AB leave.
Very good bowling attack though.

think from the 3 team india, Australia and SA, SA are more likely to be number 1 though for the next 2 yrs, they batting is decent enough with Amla, AB ( assuming he plays after Australia), Faf, Markram and Bavuma, plus a very good pace attack.

we should know more about india after the England series, think the england series might be decided on the pitches, if the decks are flat and slowish reckon india will fancy their chances in england, should be noted england record in london isn't great lately, even struggled at home flat decks.
At the moment I don't like india batting, it could just be they needed time to adjust outside asian conditions but at the same time the selection is baffling and it was insane to get rid of Kumble doesn't help that a very poor captain runs the show and the coach is basically in the same wavelength as the *modded* captain.

Wonder if they will do what they did with Tendulkar and remove the captainacy from kohli.
think if india are to do better overseas they will need a better captain and coach, kohli will always do well in india, considering india could probably beat every team with their eyes shut in Asia.
but kohli tactical nous and what he wants from the team is very poor and if india are to win overseas they will need a very good captain to overcome the home advantage and make the most out of the oppurtunities india get overseas for a victory or draw.

Also think Kohli and Shastri are trying to copy too much of Australia great team.
Kohli and shastri are so obsessed with left-right combination, attacking cricket with the bat and they are basically manufacturing the way they want the team to play, they really should concentrate on what the players strengths are and work with those, the difference with the way india batted with kumble in charge and with shastri in charge is huge.
Rahul, Vijay, pujara should bat normally before Kohli and Rahane can be more attacking at 4 and 5, 6-7-8-9 scoring vital runs to take games away from the team or get close to parity or get a huge lead.
at the moment all the batsman are told to score at a quick rate and play attacking cricket and it means the top order are losing their wickets more quickly without seeing off the new ball and it put more pressure on the middle and lower order to score runs as well.
baffling why kohli and shastri actually like india batting like this considering india scoring way more runs and batting time was winning way more matches than scoring quickly from ball 1 and getting all out for 250 odd.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby yuppie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:53 am

Could India actually remove Kohli as captain, and if so, how would Kohli take that? Im guessing not well.

I think England will prepare the pitches they require to beat India at home. Indias pacers should enjoy those pitches as well, but Englands bats in those conditions should be to strong.
yuppie

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 am

poor running from Pujara in this test match, so many run out in this game, both teams have been poor with the bat and with the running in this series.
one thing this series lacks at the moment is world class batting.
would be nice if they was a Tendulkar type brillence batting like he did in cape town in 2010/11 against a very impressive steyn.
not sure we had a session barring the pandya knock where we were applauding the batting yet.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 am

Also I wonder if pujara run out are because of Kohli fav word of intent.
no need for the extra run.
pujara would never do this normally as well.
find it crazy that pujara was blamed for the defeat in the first test for surviving 90 balls and allowing pandya to actually score those 90 odd runs.
if anyone is to blame it was the top order on day 1.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 am

I suppose that's it for India. Not sure there's anyone left for India tough enough to plot this chase.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby mikesiva » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:22 am

Four down.

What is way to lose a wicket.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 am

I'm thinking of a Border, a Thorpe, a Dravid.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 am

feel odd to celebrate my biggest win in a bet when india are losing lol.
2 poor dismissal as well today, parthiv looked good at the crease as well.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:39 am

can't see the likes of pandya, Ashwin surviving 90 odd overs on this deck.
they are more likely to chase the total down then actually batting that long to save the game.
from what I seen from the deck this morning, India will be disappointed they didn't restrict SA to a target around 200, reckon india could have chase 209 here.
batting looks easier with the old ball.
289 is far too many when the new ball is very hard to play against.
makes the decision not to go for the new ball more baffling for kohli.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby yuppie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:45 am

Sharma should treat this as a one day innings knock. A few quick runs might just cause SA to rethink.
yuppie

Postby mikesiva » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:47 am

Morkel with a great catch! Rabada gets another wicket. Patel out for 19.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru