South Africa v India tests - Jan 2018

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: South Africa v India tests - Jan 2018

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm

The umpires got it into their head in the afternoon yesterday something was wrong. They kept walking over and checking, even though a few balls bounced a little and one ball by memory died, but it wasn't consistent nor dangerous.

It's become more pronounced and consistent, but its in the batsman head now. That, and what yuppie says, with batsman playing for movement and not getting it.

Elgar was hit in the first dig by a ball that seamed and caught his arm. Nothing about bounce, but ever since he's looked lost. A lot of saffers looked lost. Indians too...

For me, yeah there's an element there with balance getting big, but o think they are hitting batters due to the fact batsman simply don't know how to play.

Concentrate and play with great technique, get a ball like de villiers where it swings in 2 yards. So batsman are no longer trusting techniques or thinking they control their destiny. So they aren't watching the ball and trusting lines and routes.

I used to bat like that at club level. If someone swings it a lot and late, don't bother trying to watch it as you haven't a chance. Just guess and play down a line.

These batters aren't guessing right.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Sabina 98 was like a jigsaw put together, so many lines running through it. And every ball took off, or died. By memory that was what done it, Stewart got one that bounced twice, then an identical length nearly removed his wrist. That was dangerous, every ball did something different when pitching, and within 10 runs the batsman had been hit multiple times, you lost count.

This isn't anywhere near that. Maybe tomorrow the pitch falls apart and does, but not yet
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 pm

It's all making for a very interesting game, and one that is going to last most of four days. Fortunately, there wasn't the rain that was predicted.

Maybe the umpires' hesitancy over the completion of the game comes down to their assumed responsibility if anyone is badly hurt. I don't know how that stands legally. It's true that someone could get killed by a bowler with the first ball of the first day in Adelaide. But if it happened if many were saying the pitch is unplayable, there could be claims the umpires are at fault.

Of course, for 140 years, Tests have been completed on deteriorating surfaces, and often on badly prepared pitches. But that might not help those in charge on the day a fatality does occur.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:14 am

Think Arthur has hit the nail on the head there...

Easy for armchair expects to say "it's not too bad" but clearly a lot of well qualified judges have strong reservations about the fitness of the pitch. So indeed , if the worst were to happen ...well at the very least , questions would be asked of the officials.

I haven't seen enough of this match to make a personal judgement ; but I've read plenty on here and elsewhere. One thing that does puzzle me though is how the scores have developed : each innings higher than the one before , and India getting 240 in the third of them. With both sides packed with fast bowlers - and also carrying longish tails - this strikes me as a little odd if the pitch is as difficult for batting as it seems. Is it poor bowling all round or a lot of luck for some batsmen ? As on a real "minefield" I'd have expected someone to be shot out for eighty...

Maybe will happen tomorrow.
alfie

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:07 am

Durhamfootman wrote:how dangerous is this pitch?

I recall that WI pitch where the test match was called off after a handful of overs. If that was a 10, what is this?

I watched all the match yesterday. Almost every ball bowled. The wicket was assisting pace bowlers with every bowl giving a feel that there is a chance of wicket. The cracks were evident from the way the ball was zipping after hitting the wicket. Every player was getting hurt. Even Virat got hurt on fingers in spite of his good form in this series. There were blows on thighs (Ajinkya), fingers (Virat), head (Elgar). So at every height of body there was a blow and the number of blows were more in a test match. Elgar situation was used by Saffers in their favor. He did not judge it properly. That is when the controversy started. Why the umpires did not call off the play when Indian players were getting hit. Maybe they did but Virat wanted to fight it out. Similarly when Elgar got hit maybe Saffers said ok this is threatening and we will opt to walk off at least for the day. Certainly if Indians who do not see such wicket at home can bat on such wickets and score 240, then surely Saffers are better equipped to fight it rather than chickening out looking at a defeat.

The wicket is not very threatening, but it is questionable given the increased count the players have been hit with the ball. Certainly not the one to call the match off but certainly it is one to be reported by both teams so that it is worked upon for the next test match.

Have to see how it is today. Whether the situation progresses from being reported to be called off.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 am

Wonder what the roller will do overnight? Temporarily flatten the pitch, or break it up further?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:21 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Wonder what the roller will do overnight? Temporarily flatten the pitch, or break it up further?

they using the light roller to not risk breaking the pitch further.
yesterday SA used the heavy roller which was an insane move in their part.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:06 am

Poor preparation of this ground. match is delayed, saw dust being applied to one part of outfield. Such activities should be done after stumps yesterday or today before match scheduled time.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:15 am

Already India lost crucial half hour before stumps when batters are under pressure to stay not out. Now this early half hour. This is frustrating.
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:54 am

We have a start time.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:12 am

Sounds like the bounce remains erratic.

Eight runs of a Shami over though is a bonus for SA.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:47 am

India searching for their first wicket.

I'd guess one is going to bring three though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby mikesiva » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:39 am

No wickets in the first session. Who would have thought that after last night? South Africa 69-1 at lunch.

Amla 27 not out

Elgar 29 not out
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Been about 20 play and misses since lunch but not a single edge

Can't see Elgar lasting much longer
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Runs required below 150 with 9 wickets in hand

Looks the sort of pitch 1 wicket will bring 3 though
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches