The Ashes: Adelaide.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes: Adelaide.

Postby alfie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:42 pm

GarlicJam wrote:whereabouts in St Kilda did you live, Alf? I was in Alma Road.

Hi Garlic

Well not quite St Kilda , I suppose - technically Elwood : have moved around Byron Street/ Tennyson Street area - and settled for several years now just off Brighton Road. Know Alma Road well.
alfie

Postby alfie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:53 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Still wouldn't put our chances much above 5%.

Been here so many times before to know we very rarely prosper.

Not much on putting percentages on these chases...I'm with Boycott on this with his "add two wickets" and look at it ; so it is very much on a knife edge.
But if (big if !) Root and Woakes could bat through the first session (which would entail seeing off the new ball) the game would swing massively towards England . And you'd not have thought that even a remote possibility 24 hours ago.

As of now , Australia are still in the pound seats : due to historical records and the late wicket of Malan. But whatever happens this has been a welcome fight back by England . Pity they have taken do long to click into gear as this has the makings of an excellent competitive series - as long as it isn't killed off too early.

Glad to see Anderson isn't ready for the scrap heap , by the way. He'll be needed for a year or two yet.
alfie

Postby meninblue » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 pm

alfie wrote:

Not much on putting percentages on these chases...I'm with Boycott on this with his "add two wickets" and look at it ; so it is very much on a knife edge.
But if (big if !) Root and Woakes could bat through the first session (which would entail seeing off the new ball) the game would swing massively towards England . And you'd not have thought that even a remote possibility 24 hours ago.

As of now , Australia are still in the pound seats : due to historical records and the late wicket of Malan. But whatever happens this has been a welcome fight back by England . Pity they have taken do long to click into gear as this has the makings of an excellent competitive series - as long as it isn't killed off too early.

Glad to see Anderson isn't ready for the scrap heap , by the way. He'll be needed for a year or two yet.

Scoreboard pressure and new day. I expect wickets to tumble in first session itself.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby yuppie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:25 pm

Great fight by england, and still some batting to come.

I reckon this is nicely poised at present. Every session England seem to be getting closer.....
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby andy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Must admit, wasn't expecting to see this scorecard...good fightback, Root has to be there near the end, for us to have a chance, and if Woakes can stay in, we will be on the way...we need to get to lunch, hopefully only losing 1 wicket, max 2, and get about 60-70 runs in the session..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:30 pm

alfie wrote:

So... what percent is that?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:31 pm

I know Yuppie s thinking '70, maybe 80...'.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 pm

60 -40 to australia at present for me.

If Woakes can bat how he did in the first innings, and Root stays there, all pressure on Australia.

Does not look tough batting conditions during the day.
yuppie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:44 pm

England won't need to bat much under lights of course.

The bowling side practically always wins from here and the overnight optimism proves an illusion.

But, still.

60-40 sounds like it reflects how long you've been away from Aus, Yuppie. I'd expect an Aussie to say, 'it's nailed on mate'.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:England won't need to bat much under lights of course.

The bowling side practically always wins from here and the overnight optimism proves an illusion.

But, still.

60-40 sounds like it reflects how long you've been away from Aus, Yuppie. I'd expect an Aussie to say, 'it's nailed on mate'.

I have the Scandinavia optimism now. :)
yuppie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Yes, 60-40 is a Bergmanesque assessment of Australian hopes...
Arthur Crabtree

Postby greyblazer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 pm

James Anderson - superlative performance in the 2nd innings. He bowled a 11-over spell and was hitting 87-88mph at the age of 35. That is incredible as he is 35!

Even in the second essay, he could have bowled a tad fuller but he has picked up 514 scalps mainly based on hitting a good length. Yes, slightly harsh but if you're specifically looking for lbws, need to hit a fuller length especially in Australia as you get a bit more bounce and there is every chance it would miss the stumps. But a top class effort. Mind you, all other pacers in this match have extracted seam movement at some point or the other. Anderson is the only one who generated that kind of banana swing on Day 3 and a hint of swing on Day 4. And in addition to it, extracted seam movement today.

England will know what a great servant Anderson has been only when he decides to walk into retirement life.

Joe Root was very determined today. Malan played a gritty hand before the excellent Cummins upped his game to castle him.

England need to get through the first 45-60 minutes tomorrow, especially with Root still around.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:46 pm

FWIW, cricviz has England at 20% chance (draw 1%).

I'm with AC. History says that teams often end up in a position in a chase like this where they have a sniff going in to day 5 and there is optimism overnight, only for it to be snuffed out within a session or so. After all, Australia only need 6 good balls, while England need 60 good overs. But given my record of predictions over the last couple of games, I am only going to make one definitive prediction about today: I won't be getting much work done this afternoon!
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 pm

1% the draw. Doesn't sound as if rain is likely.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

Barely perceptible nods to Woakes of England and Jimmy the Saint by the way, for dragging England back into the game.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches