The Ashes: Adelaide.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes: Adelaide.

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:49 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:Sadly GJ I have to agree with you regarding Anderson. His conduct on the field has far to often been found seriously wanting - so whatever he says regarding sledging etc is pretty hypocritical.

Yeah, everyone hates agreeing with me KJ.

Eventually they all do though...

Hate isn’t in my vocabulary GJ :halo:
KipperJohn

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:53 pm

TBH Just don’t like they hype, the cricket fans of them, the media and the way they treat other series and world events.
Don’t even get me started on the fact careers only matter on ashes performances and nothing else matters.
TBH ashes is one of the sole reasons English cricket is a laughing stock.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Really don’t see why ashes as to be treated as something special, I get the rivalry but it doesn’t all just have to be about the ashes.
You can easily have the rivalry and treat other cricket games with respect.
It gets totally silly when Australia or England are a mid ranked side and everything in the 4 or 2 year cycle is geared into beating an awful or average side.
Surely the aim should be trying to be the best in the world and success in the series will cover itself, it doesn’t really need special treatment especially if the ashes series is played between two average teams.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby alfie » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:03 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
Dr Cricket wrote:TBH Anderson wasn’t complaining about the bouncer more on the sledging which is why I found it ironic.

I just read Anderso's article in the Telegraph. Wow, he should really be embarrassed about that. Painting the Australians as the evil-doers and England as choirboys. Get your hand off it, Jimbo, the world knows what a *modded* you are, you have absolutely no right to be whinging about sledging (which was all pretty low-key anyway).

And to complain that Aus were laughing at them and taking the mickey during the press conference - the only thing that was about was Bairstow's headbutt, maybe you should talk to your team-mate about that...

I thought Aus handled all of the many questions about the Bairstow incident in a very low-key manner. you should be thanking them, not whinging in the media about them, you stupid plonker.

Hmm. I read the same article (presumably )...not sure Jimmy was "whinging" about the sledging (which would indeed be pretty cheeky !) . He said it was hard to put up with ; but he also said they just have to deal with it and get on with the game ...which doesn't seem unreasonable ?
As for the accusation that the Aussies are basically bullies who up the talk when they get on top : well I imagine Smith and co would basically take that as a compliment - they do it well. I can't remember a good Australian team that didn't have a capacity to enjoy bullying anyone timid enough to let them ...and that is one of the reasons they tend to crush opponents once they have them down.
Does he suggest England are choirboys ? He says they don't indulge in the chirp as much : which is probably true though perhaps not due to his own lack of contributions :) Can't see anywhere he suggests the home team should be stopped from talking...just that his team have to shut them up through good cricket. Honestly can't see anything wrong with that.

I am sure he annoys a lot of opponents but I have always felt he gives it out and takes it when it comes back. It wasn't him complaining about Clarke with his broken arm stuff - just the armchair critics.

Anyway I've had enough of all the verbals looking forward to the game...
alfie

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:23 pm

TBH that is pretty much a lie, they is a reason why England tended to be one of the hated teams during Strauss and cook reign.
if anything teams tended to get annoyed at the way England use to sledge or some of the players antics.
England pretty much chirp the same amount as other teams, the only real difference is that England don't really seem to have any relationships with other teams.
Whereas other teams tend to sledge and then be friendly afterwards.

Although I would love to know what it is that makes england such an hated team during that period, sadly I doubt that will never come out in the public domain.
Doubt it was all purely on the sledging considering every game and series got sledging and all teams do it.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby greyblazer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:45 pm

This was recorded two days ago. So doesn't have info about Moeen's injury or some of the behind the scenes talk :)

https://soundcloud.com/the-barry-and-pr ... how-s01e01
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:27 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The Aussies announce they are unchanged. Cricinfo says England will be too even though Mo is injured and his bowling will be impaired which tells us all we need to know about how much they value spinners.

England have added Overton to the eleven from the Gabba and will cut one player tomorrow.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:41 am

Now Moeen injured too. England have not really had the rub of the green so far with injuries. But you have to make the best of what you have in front of you. England would almost certainly not have won in 2005 if Glen McGrath hadn't stood on an errant ball. But it's still remembered as one of the best series ever.

The stuff about the tail and bouncers, well, I think it was unreasonable for the umpires not to step in. But if you're in a position where you urgently need runs from 9-11, or for them to hang around for a long time, you have bigger problems i.e. that your top 8 haven't got enough. Batsmen are in the side to score runs, not bowlers. IMO 8 should be able to chip in consistently and maybe get the odd 50, but anything 9-11 score is strictly a bonus.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 am

England win the toss and bowl. Risky decision. Adelaide is almost always a bat first wicket. And if you do well and bowl Australia out cheaply, you'll be batting under lights. But cloudy skies and green on the pitch means Root wants to chance it.

Hmmm.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:28 am

Big call by Joe.

Has he been suckered in by the "England bowlers will have the advantage in Adelaide' line that' has been abounding?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:14 am

Looks that way.

This is really poor stuff from England. Too short from all the bowlers, easy singles available every over, inconsistent lines, there's no pressure at all. They've said on commentary that only two balls in the first eight overs would have actually gone on to hit the stumps. And that's despite the fact that there is a bit of movement out there. All the scoring has been square of the wicket, they haven't induced the drive at all.

Unless they pull their socks up pronto, we'll be looking back on Root's decision to bowl as the one where the Ashes were lost, akin to Hussain's in 2002 or Ponting at Edgbaston in 2005.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:21 am

Rain :(

Could be a blessing from England - they need to regroup, have a talking to from the bowling coach, and come back out with some better execution.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:49 am

A&B can sometimes draw the length back so as not to give runs away, and are criticised for it being too early. I guess they think there's not enough in the pitch and want to bowl dry.

Debut for Overton.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:54 am

This rain is helpfully, for England, moving play into the night time.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:09 am

An extended night time.

Restart in about ten minutes.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches