The Ashes: Adelaide.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: The Ashes: Adelaide.

Postby meninblue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:A bit of a recovery late on. Sadly I have no expectation of England knocking Aus over cheaply in the second innings. England will end up having to bat for 4 sessions at least to save this test.... and we all know how good they are at that.

Still one partnership is all what Aussies need to take game further away from England. Still lot of batting left to knock that partnership. Peter, Marsh, Paine can play significant innings on their own. StarCraft, Lyon, Cummins can bat well enough for good partnership.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby backfootpunch » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Adi wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:A bit of a recovery late on. Sadly I have no expectation of England knocking Aus over cheaply in the second innings. England will end up having to bat for 4 sessions at least to save this test.... and we all know how good they are at that.

Still one partnership is all what Aussies need to take game further away from England. Still lot of batting left to knock that partnership. Peter, Marsh, Paine can play significant innings on their own. StarCraft, Lyon, Cummins can bat well enough for good partnership.

And most importantly they will be batting during the day not under the lights

We have to take 6 wickets in the morning session really to have any chance
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby meninblue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
Adi wrote:

Yes, good point regarding first session of day light. The situation is such that every run will hurt.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby yuppie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:00 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
Adi wrote:

England can take heart in the fact they have given themselves a chance. England have also got the big 2 wickets and the fact that Handscomb is a walking LBW at present means that Aus will need another 75 runs from the lower order.

I would not be surprised if Aus struggle to make much more than 100.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby andy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Even if they only make 100, they probably still have too many runs, and will probably wrap it up by close of play tomorrow....if our batsmen can just take note of Woakes's and overton's knock, and actually apply themselves they might actually score some runs!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby yuppie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:24 pm

andy wrote:Even if they only make 100, they probably still have too many runs, and will probably wrap it up by close of play tomorrow....if our batsmen can just take note of Woakes's and overton's knock, and actually apply themselves they might actually score some runs!

Yep they are a long way behind and even if they can limit the lead to only 300, going to be tough to get those runs.

Feels like everything will hinge on tomorrow evenings play.
yuppie

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:40 pm

I think the highest run chase in the 4th innings by England in Oz was 322/7 back in 1928. I’ll let the expert statisticians check that, but it gives some idea of the mountain they have to climb already. Not very optimistic to say the least.
KipperJohn

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:also are you seriously telling me you never heard anyone not say ashes is the only thing that matter and any other result in cricket is irrelevant compared to what happens in the ashes.

You don't get it because you don't get it.

and you won't get it because you don't get it.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:19 pm

KipperJohn wrote:I think the highest run chase in the 4th innings by England in Oz was 322/7 back in 1928. I’ll let the expert statisticians check that, but it gives some idea of the mountain they have to climb already. Not very optimistic to say the least.

332/7 according to cricinfo is the highest successful run chase (in 1928, you are correct), but England have scored 350 or more 7 times in the fourth innings in Australia (and lost every single one). Even four years ago they scored 312 in the second dig at Adelaide, one of their only two 300+ scores of the series.

If England can bowl Australia out in the morning session and be chasing 330 or less, they will be in with a chance. A pretty minuscule chance, but a chance. But more likely, this is just the brief flicker of resistance that gets our hopes unreasonably up, only to be brutally dashed by cold, hard reality.

Did I mention I'm an optimist (seriously, it's not much fun being a Pom in Oz when this is going on - yesterday workmates were gleefully coming up to me to rub it in while we collapsed).
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby yuppie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:56 pm

England were 7 down for 140, so to find themselves with a slight chance to win this game by the end of the day is a huge positive.

Australia are still overwhelming favorites, but a couple of quick wickets tomorrow, then they might suddenly have the momentum.

Australia will be thinking, 40 overs, bat 40 more overs.
yuppie

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:57 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:I think the highest run chase in the 4th innings by England in Oz was 322/7 back in 1928. I’ll let the expert statisticians check that, but it gives some idea of the mountain they have to climb already. Not very optimistic to say the least.

332/7 according to cricinfo is the highest successful run chase (in 1928, you are correct), but England have scored 350 or more 7 times in the fourth innings in Australia (and lost every single one). Even four years ago they scored 312 in the second dig at Adelaide, one of their only two 300+ scores of the series.

If England can bowl Australia out in the morning session and be chasing 330 or less, they will be in with a chance. A pretty minuscule chance, but a chance. But more likely, this is just the brief flicker of resistance that gets our hopes unreasonably up, only to be brutally dashed by cold, hard reality.

Did I mention I'm an optimist (seriously, it's not much fun being a Pom in Oz when this is going on - yesterday workmates were gleefully coming up to me to rub it in while we collapsed).

I know what you mean bfl. Our youngest has lived and worked in Melbourne since 2004, has an Aussie family and now has dual citizenship. Fortunately he’s far too busy to get involved in any cricket debates!

At least the banter is friendly when I go out there.
KipperJohn

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 pm

I was surprised with my brother in law - still got a fairly thick Wiltshire farmer accent - becoming an Aus supporter not too long after getting his Aus citizenship. I didn't believe him, and put it to the test each time the Ashes are on, but he is genuine with wanting Aus to beat England.

In '06, when we went to the Melbourne test with him, he was a England supporter, so it wasn't a matter of him wanting to be on the winning side or anything.

Same with father in law, but he has been out here for decades.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:08 pm

KipperJohn wrote:I know what you mean bfl. Our youngest has lived and worked in Melbourne since 2004

What did he do? Steal Trevelyan's corn too?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 pm

sussexpob wrote:What did he do? Steal Trevelyan's corn too?

Australians are allowed - nay, expected - to bag Melbourne, but that doesn't mean that you are allowed to.

Actually Melbourne is a great city, I will happily admit to that - and that is a big thing for a native Sydneysider to say - I love visiting there. And I am sure that KJ will have good things to say about it as well.

No doubt, you have your criticisms, Sussex, I am interested in reading them. (not getting narky, genuinely interested hearing a differing viewpoint)
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:26 pm

So do I. Melbourne's a great place. I love visiting.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches