The Ashes: Perth.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: The Ashes: Perth.

Postby yuppie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 am

mikesiva wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Sounds like Vince got a snorting delivery this time, instead of giving his wicket away.

It was a fantastic delivery from Starc!

That will be on the highlights for many a year.
Last edited by yuppie on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby yuppie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:56 am

from_the_stands wrote:We need about two more hours of play to wrap this up, I feel. The forecast is for more rain. Another 6 for 35 would do just nicely. The urn is coming home, bit I'll be honest, I want a white wash. A whitewash in the Ashes is such a beautiful thing. It helps to ease the pain of the 2005 defeat, the scars from which may never fully heal.

Watching the highlights form todays play the ball seemed to be doing a bit more off the pitch, and even a bit more in the air than the previous days. If it stays like that tomorrow it should be enough for the Australians to wrap up the innings.

Rain is Englands best hope, but their 2 best batsman of the series are at the crease.

Broad and Cook, major problems for England. It certainly feels that Broad is having his Gillespie moment.
yuppie

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Yesterday, or the day before, Michael Clarke was on air, talking about the WACA's cracks in the pitch.

He stated along the lines of: throughout my career, I have never seen the cracks cause a batsman's loss of wicket. The IDEA of what the cracks may do, yes, but no wickets have fallen directly attributable to the cracks.

You go and have a quiet word to James Vince, Clarkie, see what he has to say.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby yuppie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 pm

Vinces face said it all
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm

GarlicJam wrote:Yesterday, or the day before, Michael Clarke was on air, talking about the WACA's cracks in the pitch.

He stated along the lines of: throughout my career, I have never seen the cracks cause a batsman's loss of wicket. The IDEA of what the cracks may do, yes, but no wickets have fallen directly attributable to the cracks.

You go and have a quiet word to James Vince, Clarkie, see what he has to say.

I said before the test that Mike hussey said exactly the same thing. The ball never spits out the cracks despite what they look like
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby mikesiva » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Is there a case for Cummins to be promoted up the order to replace starc at eight?
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby yuppie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:02 pm

mikesiva wrote:Is there a case for Cummins to be promoted up the order to replace starc at eight?

From the evidence in this series, i would think so.
yuppie

Postby KipperJohn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:34 pm

yuppie wrote:
mikesiva wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Sounds like Vince got a snorting delivery this time, instead of giving his wicket away.

From what I’ve read it was going down the leg side then hit a crack. If that was deliberate by the bowler then, fair enough, it’s indeed a fantastic delivery; if not then it was just pure luck.
KipperJohn

Postby yuppie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:37 pm

KipperJohn wrote:
yuppie wrote:
mikesiva wrote:

From what I’ve read it was going down the leg side then hit a crack. If that was deliberate by the bowler then, fair enough, it’s indeed a fantastic delivery; if not then it was just pure luck.

I would think the bowler would be aiming for the cracks, but after that its just luck. Just as much chance for the ball to go even further down leg side.

Even so, its a great wicket taking delivery, and will be shown for years to come.
yuppie

Postby meninblue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:43 pm

The crack got his wicket.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:05 pm

I think the crack not being a factor in making batting harder but gets into the mind of the batter is just accepted/received wisdom. Of course if it hits the crack it will misbehave. Perhaps it just happens infrequently.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I think the crack not being a factor in making batting harder but gets into the mind of the batter is just accepted/received wisdom. Of course if it hits the crack it will misbehave. Perhaps it just happens infrequently.

Cracks definitely make batting difficult. It is proved in lot of matches (Wankhede, Nagpur, Mohali , Kotla from Indian wickets itself) . Kumble got 10 wickets at Kotla, most because of crack resulting in the ball taking abnormal paths and very inconsistent bounce from the same crack spot. Nayan Mongia had to wear the helmet and he got hit few times while keeping !! On day 5 in India, the cracks gets spinners those extra wickets.

Kotla wicket is a prime example of how cracks can make batting very tough. It has been under scrutiny in few tests. In 2013 the match versus Aussies ended in 3 days. Cracks started to develop on day 1 and Aussies lost lot of wickets on the day 1 (some due to cracks impact) . Some balls were staying too low and some bounced too high.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:44 pm

yuppie wrote:
mikesiva wrote:Is there a case for Cummins to be promoted up the order to replace starc at eight?

From the evidence in this series, i would think so.

It has been discussed a fair bit this series, even ny Starc, who is not against the idea.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby meninblue » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Adi wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:I think the crack not being a factor in making batting harder but gets into the mind of the batter is just accepted/received wisdom. Of course if it hits the crack it will misbehave. Perhaps it just happens infrequently.

Cracks definitely make batting difficult. It is proved in lot of matches (Wankhede, Nagpur, Mohali , Kotla from Indian wickets itself) . Kumble got 10 wickets at Kotla, most because of crack resulting in the ball taking abnormal paths and very inconsistent bounce from the same crack spot. Nayan Mongia had to wear the helmet and he got hit few times while keeping !! On day 5 in India, the cracks gets spinners those extra wickets.

Kotla wicket is a prime example of how cracks can make batting very tough. It has been under scrutiny in few tests. In 2013 the match versus Aussies ended in 3 days. Cracks started to develop on day 1 and Aussies lost lot of wickets on the day 1 (some due to cracks impact) . Some balls were staying too low and some bounced too high.

Add to it the one ball that Ryan Harris bowled to Ben on day 5 at Perth. It was ridiculous deviation. Nathan Lyon bowled one which was taken by leg slip ! and signaled wide. Ian Bishop bowled a wide too in 1997 on this wicket due to deviation from crack. The video links are posted below. These were as bad as Kumble getting help from some wickets which had cracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oAdJ9Q0-6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6yC_gmk4p4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKmlJgpptY

I remember Monty getting enormous bounce on tour of India. The keeper and slip fielder (i think Cook) had lot of trouble gathering the ball. iirc the Englnd keeper was wearing helmet as well when Monty bowled.

Tough to believe Michael Clarke hasn't watched any of that, either while playing in India or at Perth or on videos.
meninblue

Postby yuppie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Richies commentary on the Bishop ball is great.

After bowling on the WACA road for the first 3 days, tough to begrudge the bowlers some assistance on the final 2 days.
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches