The Ashes: Perth.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes: Perth.

Postby alfie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Anyway, let's talk about Perth. After the joke of a warm-up fixture, and yet more off-field shenanigans to distract England (you have to wonder if they're doing it on purpose at this point), there doesn't seem to be any clarity about England's situation going forward. So, great.

I think it's clear that England's problems are not going to be solved by selection. Bumping Bairstow up a notch or two, swapping out quicks, rearranging the batting order, it's all window dressing. The players lining up are, for better or worse, the best we have available to us at this point in time. The key is going to be getting the best out of what we have. That means Cook scoring runs, Root converting, and the bowlers creating pressure from ball 1.

England do have some comfort in that they have been competitive at points in this series. The Australian batting has looked frail. The bowling is strong but not impossible to score off if you are patient, and as the series wears on the strains on the 4-man attack will tell. The key I think for England is patience. It's no coincidence in my mind that England were successful under Flower overseas when they had a mindset of grinding the opposition down. Play long innings, and with the ball just keep drying up the runs and building the pressure. Under Bayliss, what has turned them into a pretty good ODI side is the attacking instinct that it seems that players cannot turn off in the test arena. So we see poor shots with the bat and too much short bowling with the ball trying to be aggressive. It's not working.

Perth is a very difficult place to play well, but historically that has been the case for Australians as well as touring players - those not used to the WACA's bounce have not always thrived. Players from WA usually do well, but from other states it's a bit of a toss-up. Case in point: Johnson was always a handful here, (he was man of the match in 2010, the only game Australia won), as it was his home ground. Warner loves batting here, but most of the other Australian batsmen have middling records here at best, and Lyon has averaged over 50 in his four games here.

The Perth pitch has also not been quite what it was. Two years ago it was a pathetic road that really should have been reported (I can't recall if it actually was or not, but it is interesting to note that in the run up, the curator was saying exactly the same things as have been said in the run-up to this game: that he wants a spicy wicket to replicate the WACA of old. Hahahaha. I seem to recall that being said of Adelaide too. Drop in pitches in Australia are responsible for a lot of sins. But I digress). Last year Australia suffered a humiliating loss to South Africa. So while England's record here is beyond horrible, it is not an impossible place to do well for a touring side.

It would be a brave person to bet on anything other than an Australian victory, but as we have all said all along, England are not THAT bad, and Australia are not THAT good, especially under pressure. England have underperformed so far. If they actually play to their potential, get Australia on the ropes again as they have in the past two games, and follow it up rather than let it slide, they could pull a win out of the bag. Improbable, but not completely impossible...

Have been a bit too busy to post lately but just wanted to say that I think this is an excellent summary of the situation leading into this Test Match. :clap

Lots of reasons to say England have no hope this week ; but on the other hand : they're due...
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Root denies a rift between Jimmy the Saint and the coaching staff...

That's good.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Root denies a rift between Jimmy the Saint and the coaching staff...

That's good.

Up next, Trevor bayliss throws a bottle of sambuca over his star bowler and sets it on fire
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:19 pm

No offence intended.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Even without prior context it's a pretty dumb and cowardly thing to say. In context, it's frankly unbelievable
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:56 pm

That's in reference to Anderson, not root

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:21 pm

What has Anderson said?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:09 pm

yuppie wrote:What has Anderson said?

He said that they bowled poorly at Adelaide because they bowled too short, and then threw the coaches under the bus by saying they should have known and instructed the bowlers to bowl a fuller length as analysis was their responsibility

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 pm

sussexpob wrote:
yuppie wrote:What has Anderson said?

He said that they bowled poorly at Adelaide because they bowled too short, and then threw the coaches under the bus by saying they should have known and instructed the bowlers to bowl a fuller length as analysis was their responsibility

Cheers SP, that's not great.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Dobell reckons that careers are on the line if England lose here. He's probably not wrong.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... ne-england

Jimmy's certainly doing no favours to the impression of this touring party. It's gone from bad (Stokes incident) to worse and worse, and now it looks as if the dressing room's completely broken down. I suspect that's actually a long way from the truth, but the problem England have in this situation is that their behaviour is now so under the microscope that every little thing is used as yet more evidence of problems, which feeds back to the team, making them more frustrated, etc. etc.

Only one way to stop the spiral of negativity - start performing on the pitch. The WACA beckons for the last time. :hide
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 pm

alfie wrote:
Have been a bit too busy to post lately but just wanted to say that I think this is an excellent summary of the situation leading into this Test Match. :clap

Lots of reasons to say England have no hope this week ; but on the other hand : they're due...

Thanks!
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:when does this test kick off?

Not sure of the time difference between Adelaide and Perth, I think it might be 2.5 hours? Or maybe 3? Seem to remember its a weird and unique half hour situation.....

Most likely around 0200-0300 hours on Thursday UK

Perth is 8 hours ahead of UK at present, so yes, 2.5 hours behind Adelaide. Aussie timezones are a bit odd.

The match kicks off 0230 UK time on Thursday morning.

Thanks chaps

what time does the humiliation start?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:07 am

I suppose that happens whenever England start to bat
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 am

It's always going to come back to KP for me. He was considered unmanageable by Flower and Cook. But he certainly never went public with any criticism until he had been sacked. Even when his private comments were invariably leaked to the public.

Wrong subject for a match thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Win the toss and bat. In case the Waca crater later appears down the middle of the pitch.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:16 am

Durhamfootman wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:when does this test kick off?

Not sure of the time difference between Adelaide and Perth, I think it might be 2.5 hours? Or maybe 3? Seem to remember its a weird and unique half hour situation.....

Most likely around 0200-0300 hours on Thursday UK

Perth is 8 hours ahead of UK at present, so yes, 2.5 hours behind Adelaide. Aussie timezones are a bit odd.

The match kicks off 0230 UK time on Thursday morning.

Thanks chaps

what time does the humiliation start?

Depending on who wins the toss, 0231 (when Cook gets out) or 0430 (when Warner break's Gilly's record for fastest ton, and scores his second ton before lunch).
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches