The Ashes: Perth.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes: Perth.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Good post. No batting line up could have coped with Johnson?

Haynes/Greenidge/Richards/Richardson/Lloyd/Gomes/Dujon?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:37 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Good post. No batting line up could have coped with Johnson?

Maybe hyperbole from me. We'll never know. I never had the pleasure of seeing them bat. I guess if that line-up batted in the nets against the likes of Holding, Garner, Marshall et al they may have been able to, but having the world's best fast bowlers on your team, did they ever face really high quality pace from other teams? After all, when that line-up toured Australia, they faced the likes of Alderman, Hogg and Lawson - all ok, but hardly regarded in the pantheon of Australia's great fast bowlers:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1689 ... a-1984-85/
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby KipperJohn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 pm

Fair enough, but history tells you that the Aussies haven’t won the Ashes in England since before 2005 and we’ve won once on their turf, although the losses have been heavier. At least we’ve not been bundled out for 60 before lunch!

The climate and pitches are so different, it’s hardly surprising that home advantage counts for so much.

I don’t disagree with the assessment of England’s overall and individual performances, but a sense of perspective of the reality of the task wouldn’t come amiss.
KipperJohn

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 am

KipperJohn wrote:I don’t disagree with the assessment of England’s overall and individual performances, but a sense of perspective of the reality of the task wouldn’t come amiss.

England showing a bit of heart, probably wouldn't come amiss either. Not too much to ask, surely?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:03 am

Durhamfootman wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:I don’t disagree with the assessment of England’s overall and individual performances, but a sense of perspective of the reality of the task wouldn’t come amiss.

England showing a bit of heart, probably wouldn't come amiss either. Not too much to ask, surely?

Agree. It's not necessarily the defeats (which were expected), it's the manner of them. The gulf between the two sides is proving here to be larger than expected, and it's about 10% talent and 90% application (or lack thereof).
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:09 am

Durhamfootman wrote:

Don’t really agree with that from what I’ve read - pretty sure they’ve tried hard - they’ve competed at times but lost the key battles - i’d be surprised if it was down to any lack of desire or effort.
KipperJohn

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:34 am

I agree with Fluffy, KJ. There showed spells of determination to succeed when things were going not so well, but way less consistency with toughing things out than they should, imo, less so than the Australians - which is a major difference between the teams. That, and the bowling.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 am

I reckon England might be off the hook here.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 am

from_the_stands wrote:I reckon England might be off the hook here.

what a kerfuffle.

I thought they were looking inexperienced and amateurish when they were putting the covers on - in almost a squall, admittedly - last night.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 am

They're obviously not used to it. This is more rain than Perth sees in months.

TMS is saying there's almost no chance of a resumption until after lunch at least. If the pitch is as badly damaged as it sounds, they could have to abandon play altogether. I don't think it likely, but it sounds pretty awful.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Play due to start at 12pm local time (4am UK, 3pm Eastern Aus). Still 75 overs possible, although that involves play running until 6pm local time, so light could be an issue. If the game lasts that long even.

Vaughan reckons that it's still not fit to play on, and that England will have every right to call foul. But taking a broader perspective, if they've got into this position, they can't complain if they're asked to play cricket and go on to lose, as long as it's not actually dangerous. It's not as if this is likely to change the result.

England's first aim is simply to score the 130 runs or so needed to make Australia bat again.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:06 am

Delay until 4.40. But it looks as if the rain is going to clear.

Somehow despite the loss of two hours of play, only 23 overs have been lost. Perhaps they've finally adjusted their over rate expectations to something close to what teams actually bowl?

Nonetheless, Malan and Bairstow will have to bat at least 40 of those overs, maybe more, if England are going to have any chance. Let's face it, that won't happen. We need a miracle.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby meninblue » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:44 am

Seems like rain will bat out the time for England.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Good post. No batting line up could have coped with Johnson?

Maybe hyperbole from me. We'll never know. I never had the pleasure of seeing them bat. I guess if that line-up batted in the nets against the likes of Holding, Garner, Marshall et al they may have been able to, but having the world's best fast bowlers on your team, did they ever face really high quality pace from other teams? After all, when that line-up toured Australia, they faced the likes of Alderman, Hogg and Lawson - all ok, but hardly regarded in the pantheon of Australia's great fast bowlers:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1689 ... a-1984-85/

Also, Dennis Lillee destroyed the West Indies once...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1702 ... a-1981-82/
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 am

KipperJohn wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:

Don’t really agree with that from what I’ve read - pretty sure they’ve tried hard - they’ve competed at times but lost the key battles - i’d be surprised if it was down to any lack of desire or effort.

I'm with you kipper. I very much doubt a team of international cricketers haven't given it their best. From what I've seen and read, the Aussies have been better for the majority, and hence are two up.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches