England Lions tour of the Caribbean, Feb 5 - March 11

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: England Lions tour of the Caribbean, Feb 5 - March 11

Postby westoelad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:13 pm

On spin-friendly tracks playing 3 spinners would hardly be revolutionary; the host country did so. My argument was hadParkinson been an original choice the outcomes may have been different. I was surprised at Bess inclusion. Speculative and personal opinion, of course.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:05 pm

westoelad wrote:On spin-friendly tracks playing 3 spinners would hardly be revolutionary; the host country did so. My argument was hadParkinson been an original choice the outcomes may have been different. I was surprised at Bess inclusion. Speculative and personal opinion, of course.

I think the problem Parkinson may have in the future is, by all accounts he doesnt know what a bat is, let alone how to use one. And when you have Mahmood and Leach also in not too dissimilar circumstances, then it makes for a long tail. Bess at least can bat a bit, so he was probably preferrable with also an impressive FC record in this situation.

Gleeson was the inclusion for me that was most puzzling. Is the test team really going to pick someone over 30 with only 50 FC wickets? Seemed a wasted pitch!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby westoelad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 am

Bess' bowling stats for a 20 year old are certainly impressive but you have to weigh that against the fact that half his games have been played on Turnton.
Gleason only came into the Ist class game when he was 28 year old since when his stats have been impressive. Worth looking at then as short team cover but nothing further.
westoelad

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches