The Ashes; Melbourne

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: The Ashes; Melbourne

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:34 am

Darn it. I said I was done with this series, then England go and have a more-or-less perfect day, and put themselves in a good position in the test and reel me back in, sucker that I am. Still, England have put themselves in decent positions in every game, only to manage to toss it away, which is what has made the series so infuriating. Odds are this match will be infuriating too. England still have to bat last, so a bit lead is almost certainly going to be necessary if they are going to win.

Well done Cook and Broad. Finally a little luck, and the old adage of form being temporary, class being permanent proves itself true yet again. Never in doubt? (*looks back over posting history. Regrets big mouth*). And yes, better to have done it while the series is still live, but they all count. If they contribute to avoiding the 5-0 defeat, I will say that's worthwhile.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:43 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:Well done Cook and Broad. Finally a little luck, and the old adage of form being temporary, class being permanent proves itself true yet again. Never in doubt? (*looks back over posting history. Regrets big mouth*).

Hmm. Surely these are brief diversions on the road south to retirement. Certainly for Cook. Probably for Broad. Maybe even for Anderson.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:47 am

My surprising fact of the day - as Anderson goes past Walsh's wicket tally and into fifth place in the all-time leaderboard, I looked at the stats and found that he has a better strike rate than Walsh and Warne! I would not have predicted that!

He's also now in second place for the most matches played by a bowler - 133, second only to Warne. Astonishingly, Murali took his 800 wickets in 133 tests, exactly the same number as Anderson's played to date. However, in those 133 tests Murali's sent down nearly half as many deliveries again as Jimmy (44000 to Jimmy's 29000).
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:Well done Cook and Broad. Finally a little luck, and the old adage of form being temporary, class being permanent proves itself true yet again. Never in doubt? (*looks back over posting history. Regrets big mouth*).

Hmm. Surely these are brief diversions on the road south to retirement. Certainly for Cook. Probably for Broad. Maybe even for Anderson.

I’d suggest with the Ashes lost all three will want to play till 2019 to try and get them back. They’ve all got individual milestones to chase in that time too.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:15 am

A good day for Anderson in that Astralia's back up pace bowling went wicketless.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 am

A good day for an England supporter to be at the ground...

I think I bring them luck. Was there on day two four years ago when they had their best day of that disastrous tour and briefly looked a winning chance... Dare I hope that this time they won't mess it all up with a rotten couple of sessions ?

Ah it's the hope that kills you :)

Anyway for now I'm happy to have witnessed a fine fight back with the ball...bit of luck going their way perhaps but you'd reckon it might have been about due...and a really good exhibition of concentration from Chef : he actually played more fluently on this turgid strip than anyone else so far bar Wee Davey...

AC suggesting it's a virtual curtain call ...I'm not so sure. The way he reacted on reaching the 100 suggested to me that he doesn't have any intention of calling it a day just yet - and on that display he could go on to his and England's advantage for a while yet.
Root looked pretty determined too ; if still not quite his usual busy self. Need them - and the other bats - to push on and get a good lead tomorrow. If they can - then some kind of result might be salvaged from this tour , albeit a bit late.

No guarantee though. Stringing two good days together has been the challenge so far. Fingers crossed ...
alfie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:45 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:

Ultimately, isn't everything?
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:47 am

Sounds like a good day, alfie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. How was the atmosphere?

I've been to the Melbourne test for the last two Ashes, but didn't make it this time around.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby alfie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:30 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Sounds like a good day, alfie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. How was the atmosphere?

I've been to the Melbourne test for the last two Ashes, but didn't make it this time around.

Always a bit of atmosphere at the G , BFL. Very hot of course ; the locals had a music and singing set up this time to rival the Barmies - in fact where I was sitting their sound carried better. But as the Cook/Root stand developed the beer snakes and (rather halfhearted) Mexican Waves suggested a little loss of interest in the cricket ...

Special mention to Steve Smith for his uncharacteristic generosity in coming on for the last over and presenting Chef with several loose deliveries to save him sweating on 93 overnight : late Christmas present ?
alfie

Postby alfie » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:41 pm

And just on Broad : I was almost in the "might be a good idea to rest him for this match" camp before today. But I thought I saw signs of the bowler we are more used to watching this morning. Particularly after he got the lbw against Marsh....I know he was bowling to tailenders , but he looked to have his rhythm back. Which is everything to a fast bowler. Will see how he comes up when he has to bowl again: he and Jimmy will surely be hoping that for once the batsmen can give them a decent rest before they are called on again !

Curran , by the way , may not be quite ready for this yet : but I thought he did OK. At least I think the experience won't hurt him for the future.
alfie

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:55 pm

Anderson is quietly having a good series considering the conditions don't favour him

15 wickets at 24

The same can't be said for the other bowlers
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:21 pm

backfootpunch wrote:Anderson is quietly having a good series considering the conditions don't favour him

15 wickets at 24

He’s had a phenomenal year. 50 odd wickets at under 20.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:38 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:Anderson is quietly having a good series considering the conditions don't favour him

15 wickets at 24

He’s had a phenomenal year. 50 odd wickets at under 20.

He's as good as ever really

Maybe not quite as quick as 2010/11 but he has it on a string
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby KipperJohn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:

I’d suggest with the Ashes lost all three will want to play till 2019 to try and get them back. They’ve all got individual milestones to chase in that time too.

Hopefully the latter won’t be included in any reasoning for future selection.

Nice to wake up and see a more positive headline for a change. However, as many have said, England have fought back from tricky positions several times in this series but not carried on. Interesting that apparently the G emptied quite quickly as Cook and Root’s partnership developed.
KipperJohn

Postby The Professor » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 pm

This is that hope thing that everyone is crapping on about...but I think it is going to *modded* us over again.

We always end a day in these tests in the ascendancy and then balls it up.

I think England will be all out without making another hundred runs and Australia will be 100+ for the loss of one batsman by this time tomorrow.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches