The Ashes; Melbourne

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: The Ashes; Melbourne

Postby alfie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:21 am

yuppie wrote:England seem to have something about them in this test, with many players out to prove their critics wrong.

With strong batting to come, i think England should be confident about tomorrow.The question should be asked as to why they wasted the second new ball against M Marsh at the WACA last week. Bowled beautifully this morning to the Aussie tail on a slow pitch. If they had not bowled half volleys last week to M Marsh things might well be very different now in this series.

About the only day of the series I didn't see a ball. (Not that they take much notice of my texts when I am watching :) )

But I was astonished to note M Marsh thrive as he did - not so much Smith ! I expected Australia to get a big score at the WACA after the good groundwork they'd done the afternoon before ; but their total eclipse of the England bowlers bewildered me. Suppose you just have those days sometimes but , without watching it , did wonder if they weren't playing the previous game as regards bowling tactics...
alfie

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:35 am

Shocking innings from bairstow

Was batting like we were 150 ahead not 50 behind

Australia haven't had to get any of our batsmen out

3 appalling shots and two idiots who got inside edges and didn't review it
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby alfie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:40 am

And it is the Lyon who strikes after lunch ! Fine catch by Paine...That was too close to cut , Bairstow should be annoyed with himself for that...

Any chance of England getting a decent lead seems to be disappearing rapidly. Any hope of Moeen getting going for once ?

And now we see it confirmed that Malan's lbw would have been overturned for impact outside anyway ! You just know those two unused reviews will later on be squandered - probably by Stuart Broad :) Not that it will matter now...
alfie

Postby Athertonian » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:41 am

alfie wrote:
Athertonian wrote:Why didn't Cook take a lead in those two discussions and encourage the two batsmen to ask for reviews?

Presumably , like the umpire , did not clock the edge...which is actually very easy at speed. Perhaps with two reviews left Malan could have tried anyway as the impact might have been in the umpires call area ...

I still find it extraordinary that a batsman can't feel that on his bat : not as if he hit the ground at the same time or anything...just weird.

There’s been some discussion icon TV. The consensus was that Cook wouldn’t have much of a future as an umpire...
Athertonian

Postby alfie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:45 am

Moeen apparently deciding attack is his best chance against Lyon. Bit of good fortune there as his lofted shot just eludes Cummins and goes for six ...but the 300 is up.

Can't see this lasting long though...
alfie

Postby alfie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 am

Athertonian wrote:
alfie wrote:
Athertonian wrote:Why didn't Cook take a lead in those two discussions and encourage the two batsmen to ask for reviews?

Presumably , like the umpire , did not clock the edge...which is actually very easy at speed. Perhaps with two reviews left Malan could have tried anyway as the impact might have been in the umpires call area ...

I still find it extraordinary that a batsman can't feel that on his bat : not as if he hit the ground at the same time or anything...just weird.

There’s been some discussion icon TV. The consensus was that Cook wouldn’t have much of a future as an umpire...

Well standing the other side of the pitch I'm not sure he's in a great position to judge exact impact point . You'd think if Malan had said "I think I got the pad outside" he'd have been encouraged to review ? But I have given up on batsmen's judgement of lbw calls...
alfie

Postby backfootpunch » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:51 am

This is just pathetic

Cook is now stranded with the bowlers

The coach needs to be sacked or root removed as captain, iv had enough of the lack of discipline in the batting

Moeen was batting like a number 11 having a swipe at everything

With cook 140 odd not out the innings that bairstow and moeen have played are just unacceptable
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby alfie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:55 am

alfie wrote:Moeen apparently deciding attack is his best chance against Lyon. Bit of good fortune there as his lofted shot just eludes Cummins and goes for six ...but the 300 is up.

Can't see this lasting long though...

And indeed it doesn't. Silly fellow : he'd succeeded in getting twenty quickly ; was surely a good time to pull back and take some singles ? I think I'd drop him for Sydney as it looks as if his head's gone.

I really am fine with positive cricket ; but this England team seem unable to mix a bit of discretion at the appropriate time : and quite frankly I think this is the single biggest factor in their decisive loss of the Ashes.

Meanwhile Cook reaches 150 :clap

If only he could have found just two partners in this innings...
alfie

Postby alfie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:07 am

backfootpunch wrote:This is just pathetic

Cook is now stranded with the bowlers

The coach needs to be sacked or root removed as captain, iv had enough of the lack of discipline in the batting

Moeen was batting like a number 11 having a swipe at everything

With cook 140 odd not out the innings that bairstow and moeen have played are just unacceptable

Sack the coach ? Sounds simple...

But we don't know what the coach is telling them , do we ? In truth his tenure will be in some question after this disappointing tour - though I think he will survive for now.

I didn't mind Bairstow playing his shots - he just played the wrong one , to the wrong ball , and got out. As did several Australians in this match.
But Moeen , sadly , is just having a total 'mare and needs a rest. Pity ; because his late order batting can be so destructive...and without Stokes his failure has been doubly costly.

I do seem to recall some on here advocating him as a number 5 not too long ago. But I'm not evil enough to look back and check :)
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:35 am

So the collapse that was predicted has happened. I seem to remember that the England bats were told that they had to play positively in order to make the game more attractive, as one of the solutions to the unpopularity of the team after the last whitewash. Maybe playing recklessly is just a corporate mission statement.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:40 am

Sigh.

Cricviz had Australia's chance of a win at 10% at start of play this morning. I thought that was ridiculously low, and I think I was right. Australia have to be favourites again now, thanks to England throwing it away for the fourth match in a row. They're not out of it yet, but I don't fancy their chances much.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:47 am

Still some batting left for England though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:49 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Still some batting left for England though.

indeed. England can easily get a 100, even a 150 run lead. One good spell from Anderson and a support will have England all over Aus.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:51 am

I see Smith has now dropped Cook twice.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:31 am

GarlicJam wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Still some batting left for England though.

indeed. England can easily get a 100, even a 150 run lead. One good spell from Anderson and a support will have England all over Aus.

True. As I said, not out of it by any means. But at this stage in the series given England's failures to take advantage when on top, you'll understand why I consider it the less likely outcome. The good old English supporter pessimism is a difficult beast to shift.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches