England limited overs tour of Oz, Jan 14-28

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: England limited overs tour of Oz, Jan 14-28

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:52 am

Heading for a close finish. England not seeing it through to 50 overs could be crucial.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm

24 off 18, one wicket to go. England in the box seat surely, but a couple of boundaries from Paine will be all it takes.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:22 pm

Quite the finish, Ball nearly throws it all away only for Curran to come back and clear Paine up.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:22 pm

England win - 5 fer for Curran. Surely a man of the match performance. Great game!
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm

5-fer too for another new man, Andrew Tye.

4-1 to England. Must be England's best ODI win in Australia.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:18 pm

it'll help them erase the memory of the test series.... 'nothing wrong here'

I see it was the inaugural intentional event for the new stadium in Perth. How did it look?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby andy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:41 pm

fantastic series win, we are a brilliant white ball side these days, everyone has off days, but on the whole, cracking outfit, fully expect a t20 series win as well
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby The Professor » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Think Jos Buttler being overlooked for man of series is a bit of an oversight
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:24 pm

andy wrote:fantastic series win, we are a brilliant white ball side these days, everyone has off days, but on the whole, cracking outfit, fully expect a t20 series win as well

True. They are very much a team - and a good one at that.

Of course, they were helped by Aus not really being up for the fight throughout the series - but you could really say the reverse applies too: England just did not allow Aus to play well.

England's attitude - relentless, and to never give up, no matter how well the other side is doing - was highly impressive, from what I saw.

Very much like how Aus used to play, when they were in their pomp.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:42 pm

When I have seen Curran play previously, I have wondered who he reminded me of. In his first over last night, it came to me - Andy Bichel: not tall for a pace bowler, but broad-shouldered, blonde, very athletic, handy with the bat, terrific in the field, and the most Bichel-like trait: tries his hardest at every bloody thing he does.

then, in his second over, he confirmed my thoughts with that yorker to remove Warner. Then that run out....

I see being compared to Andy Bichel as a huge compliment, hopefully (for England) he can continue his run.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 pm

I don't think we can simply write off England's occasional massive collapses, we're not going to win a World Cup unless we stamp them out. You don't need to score 300+ every game, but you can't collapse the way we do.

It's such a cop out to simple say, "Oh, we're super aggressive, it will happen." The middle order need to start digging in when the top order implodes and stabilise before setting off again.

The bowling is looking in better shape than it has previously, and when Stokes finally comes back the team will improve.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:07 pm

You can win a world cup if you have the occasional collapse, as the format is forgiving enough that as long as you get it out of the way before the knockouts, you can still go through. 3 losses out of 22 is about as good as it gets - no team is perfect. You just need to make sure it doesn't happen in crucial games, as per the Champions Trophy.

OK, I'm being devil's advocate a bit here, but as I think I've said before, it's very rare in limited overs cricket to find a team that's utterly impregnable (Australia 2007?). The format is swingy enough that sometimes odd things happen.

One thing that has impressed me this series is how relentless England have been. Even though they've arguably been short of their best, they've found ways to win, they've kept up the pressure at all times and not let Australia's players get away from them at any point. Even from 8-5, to come back to only a 3 wicket loss and give Australia some nerves along the way was a pretty good recovery.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:25 pm

The Professor wrote:Think Jos Buttler being overlooked for man of series is a bit of an oversight

Chris Woakes would have my vote.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:29 pm

GarlicJam wrote:When I have seen Curran play previously, I have wondered who he reminded me of. In his first over last night, it came to me - Andy Bichel: not tall for a pace bowler, but broad-shouldered, blonde, very athletic, handy with the bat, terrific in the field, and the most Bichel-like trait: tries his hardest at every bloody thing he does.

then, in his second over, he confirmed my thoughts with that yorker to remove Warner. Then that run out....

I see being compared to Andy Bichel as a huge compliment, hopefully (for England) he can continue his run.

15 years on, the mention of that name still send shivers down my spine!!
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:15 pm

good to read, Ian. Bichel is a much loved figure amongst Aus cricket fans - especially in Qld - mainly for his 100% effort, 100% of the time.

I reckon he'd be a good bloke to have a beer with, as well.
Maybe
GarlicJam

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches