Ireland vs Pakistan, only Test, May 11 - 15

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Ireland vs Pakistan, only Test, May 11 - 15

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 15, 2018 2:26 pm

backfootpunch wrote:Have to say I'm disappointed watching this seeing Ireland doing so well

Disappointed this didn't happen 5 years ago when all these Irish players were better players than they are now

I totally disagree. I think the timing of this fledgling test status is going to be terminal for the Irish case. With Brexit looming on the horizon, one has to ask what the state of Irish cricket and its capacity to survive and grow will be, once the UKs arrangement with Brussels is concluded.

We cant ignore the fact that this team is basically an Irish Born, English county XI. Without English cricket, none of these players would have anywhere to have developed or learn the game. They all came through the county system. In 2 years we could have a distinction whereby these players would either (a) have to sacrifice their Irish status to play as domestic players in England (b) would have to be recruited as overseas players. It seems unlikely that free movement between Ireland in the EU and the UK will survive it its currently, almost entirely unregulated form.

How many Irish players would chose a regional Irish side over the money on offer from Franchise cricket? Given the fact that, now its not going to be possible to go to England, fail, come back to Ireland and play. I'd say money will talk in a lot of cases. Opportunity and development will talk to others. Seems very little on offer for a young Irish cricketer faced with the two opportunities.

An additional problem comes with the very nature and definition of the team. This isnt a Southern Irish team, in fact I believe the majority of Irish cricketers in the past (and current actually) have come from Protestant areas of Londonderry and Belfast, are foreigners with grandfather/parent qualifications, with the rest exclusively coming from Dublin (and then mostly moving to English Uni's).

How is that going to work? A non-Eu country forming a sporting alliance with a EU country? Will legislation leave this arrangement unworkable? How is such a nationality defined? Are Northern Irish, which form at least half of the team, going to be forced to take up de facto Southern Irish citizenship in order to play for a United Ireland? I wonder how that will go down with a group historically utterly horrified by such a question. With a Hard Border, how would Northern Irish fans get to games easily? Will this impact revenues, attendances? Its more than likely any hardening of the Irish border and restrictions to free movement of workers will force Northern Irish players eastbound to England. Or in fact, further a case for a Northern and Southern Irish team.

Massive questions to be answered. I am one to fear that within 5 years, this experiment will have died a death as a consequence for wider politics out the game.

And thats before we start to ask how many teams will actually tour Ireland, or have them tour. Bangladesh have already been sacked off by Australia a week ago.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Another run out, but its too late.... 6 wickets to get, 20 runs to defend.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby mikesiva » Tue May 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Babar run out for 59 to a good piece of fielding.
:salute
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Pakistan win by 5 . Good effort shown by Ireland, well done to them.

sussexpob

Postby westoelad » Tue May 15, 2018 4:44 pm

How Ireland can survive financially must be very questionable judging by the attendance these last few days in what should have been a prestigious game. Pity because they certainly didn't disgrace themselves performancewise in this game.
westoelad

Postby captaincolly » Tue May 15, 2018 4:57 pm

westoelad wrote:How Ireland can survive financially must be very questionable judging by the attendance these last few days in what should have been a prestigious game. Pity because they certainly didn't disgrace themselves performancewise in this game.

I agree. Was very surprised that the game wasn't remotely close to a sell out.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Ali888 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:51 pm

I think Day 1 probably was sold out.
Ali888

Postby captaincolly » Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Ali888 wrote:I think Day 1 probably was sold out.

Yes. I think it was.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby westoelad » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Ali888 wrote:I think Day 1 probably was sold out.

For which everybody will have got a full refund. Even then capacity at Malihade is only 8000.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 pm

8000 for a day's cricket in Dublin is astonishing.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue May 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Well done Ireland for giving Pakistan a good run for their money. Definitely shown that they are worthy of test status - if they can play like that against the likes of Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Afghanistan (or on recent form, England), and it won't be long before they get a win. Assuming they can actually get the opposition.

Good post sussex on the political implications. I hope to goodness you're wrong, but I suspect that you are spot on.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches