First Test: England v Pakistan, Lord's.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: First Test: England v Pakistan, Lord's.

Postby yuppie » Sun May 27, 2018 12:21 pm

Dr Cricket wrote:Might make english cricket come out of the denial they had in the last 2-3 yrs.
been banging the drum a lot in the last 2-3 yrs, but they been pretty average in the last 4 yrs in test with SA being an outlier.
it was only a matter of time before they came crashing to an all time low with the way they were picking players, performance and even the county standards and schedule.

Is this an all time low?
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby yuppie » Sun May 27, 2018 12:35 pm

Interesting that Butler got the most runs in this test. Selectors might have got that one right.

Where do England go from here?
yuppie

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun May 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Dr Cricket is like a broken record when it comes to the England cricket team. I can't remember much drum banging surrounding the test team in recent years.

Mind you I do keep hearing about how good the Indian team is, so even though their away record suggests they aren't as good as they think they are, it will still be embarrassing if they lose to this abysmal England side later in the summer!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 27, 2018 12:46 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Dr Cricket is like a broken record when it comes to the England cricket team. I can't remember much drum banging surrounding the test team in recent years.

Mind you I do keep hearing about how good the Indian team is, so even though their away record suggests they aren't as good as they think they are, it will still be embarrassing if they lose to this abysmal England side later in the summer!

Are you being serious
See 2016 when I had 2 or 3 months argument with Backfootpunch on it.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 27, 2018 12:47 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Dr Cricket is like a broken record when it comes to the England cricket team. I can't remember much drum banging surrounding the test team in recent years.

India away record better than england though recently.
England couldn't even beat West indies Away from home, struggled against bangladesh likely to lose against sri lanka away from home, lost to Australia and india.
Imho the only place England got any credit is the South african team.

irrespective of the results it is about the process and the level below the test team, india may lose against England and be bad away from home but the fact they have IPL and the general standard of the Ranji trophy being high and the fact the pitches are world class at the moment gives me hope and faith they will be good in the future or competitive since they have the players coming through that can compete everywhere.

can you say the same thing about england where the County and grass root level is struggling, the pitches are awful and don't mirror Test matches, very hard to produce spinners and fast bowlers and top of that england seem to have shortages of batsman.
can you have any faith or hope that they will be competitive or be any good in the next 5 yrs, if anything no guarantee they would even win games at home.

Really don't see why every year I get hate on this forum.

Might not follow English cricket or support them but I do have the right to watch them and follow them.
got a feeling kev on twitter is correct impossible to support 2 international cricket teams, god knows how ECB will get people like me to support England or get them into the stadiums or follow county cricket if we are not even allowed to comment on English cricket.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 27, 2018 1:02 pm

on record India might lose 5-0, 4-0, 3-1 and they will be criticises for it for me but when you look at the paper you have rahane, Rahul, Kohli, Saha, B kumar, Ishant, Shami, Umesh, Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep yadav etc so they should be competitive and got a very good chance of winning the series.

when you look at the future you have Shaw, Samson, Gill, Iyer, pant, Kishan etc with the bat, Mavi, Nagarkoti with the ball, Avesh Khan is a good prospect so of course they is a lot to look forward to in the future for an indian fan in the test area or world cricket.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby yuppie » Sun May 27, 2018 1:03 pm

It does not look good for England. It seems there is a lack or suitable replacements, and the old guard is not as good as it once was.

Where is the hope for English supporters to hold onto?
yuppie

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 27, 2018 1:05 pm

Anyway lets get back to topic what are people squad for the next test.
Would have
Cook
Gubbins
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Hildreth
Foakes
Woakes
Bess
Anderson
Broad
Ball

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm

last comment on it but now you got the answer why only Englishmen post here, Imho only me and Adi post from outside England and australia.
surely you now know why less people are using this forum now.
no wonder Shanky, Greyblazer and many more hardly ever use this forum now.
Surely people should be more welcoming to people that support other countries.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby yuppie » Sun May 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Just for the record i am no englishman. Thats probably the worse thing anyone has called me. Sorry to the english guys on here, but im sure you understand.....
yuppie

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 27, 2018 1:30 pm

According to bayliss likely to be the same team or squad for the next test match.
isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby m@tt » Sun May 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Not good. Not good at all.

Cook - good knock in first innings, dropped multiple catches.
Stoneman - lucky to be selected, had a dire match which may force selectors' hand.
Root - another unconverted half-century, not leading particularly well but easy to say so after a defeat.
Malan - a spot too high, but he is definitely good enough for this level? Showed he can make Test centuries in Australia, but now averages under 30 after 23 innings.
Bairstow - should he be worried that he was bowled twice? Was a habit during his first Test stint.
Stokes - batting was a rusty cameo, bowling seemed sharper than at any point this year.
Buttler - poor first innings but second innings was encouraging. Still, need centuries not occasional fifties.
Bess - remarkable with the bat on debut, didn't offer enough control with the ball (and second innings spell was dreadful) but no better options who are fit and in form.
Wood - not the best pitch for him, are we actually getting the best out of him with the short-ball tactics?
Broad - didn't play badly, didn't do as well as Pakistan's quicks but then their batsman played more sensibly than ours
Anderson - ditto

Honestly not sure of what to do, because I'm not convinced chopping and changing will fix everything. There's more to it than that, especially regarding our approach which too often seems to lack intelligent, primarily with the bat but also the ball.

That said... I don't think Stoneman is good enough. I don't think Malan's ceiling is high enough. You could bring in Gubbins and Clarke. People will no doubt crow for Hameed - and he has scored several centuries this month for Lancashire's 2nd XI and his club team, but he won't get a first-class game until 9th June. It may help, it may not.

Ian Ward was giving some tough questions to Bayliss after play, including asking if we could change to a split coaching role now (rather than once Bayliss leaves next year) and whether the team had gone backwards under him. I don't know whether the latter is true - during the preceding 18 months we'd had a disastrous Ashes tour, lost at home to Sri Lanka, struggled to beat India at home, and failed to beat the West Indies (and that's ignoring the white ball stuff). Bayliss had a low base and brought an instant improvement, and it shouldn't be forgotten than there's also been a home Ashes win and home/away wins over South Africa, but overall there's been too many losses, too much bad cricket.

England may well name an unchanged squad, come back stronger and win the series. And in interview they'll talk about taking the defeat on the chin, looking at themselves, giving 110%, proving people wrong, etc etc and being proud to come back and draw the series. But chances are this will keep on happening.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 27, 2018 2:08 pm

I heard Boycott yesterday saying the team hasn't become a bad team because of one bad game and there should be no changes. If this is the best team going into the match, one match doesn't change anything.

That's a point of view I usually share... but surely he must have noticed it is hardly one bad game! England are on a long losing run in which only one player has been producing anything like adequate form. Of course that's James Anderson.

Losing at home to this Pakistan team isn't quite as bad as it gets. Not as bad as losing to WI at home last year I suppose. Or that home loss to SL in 2014. Losing at home to BD would be far worse. But it is still a weak Pakistan team who are doing poorly themselves and struggled to lay a killer blow on Ireland in the last two weeks.

Situations like this may well just be the outward manifestation of a deeper, more endemic rottenness. But in the short term it is the players who are most exposed to the need to improve from yet another low. They can at least move on from players who have been given plenty of opportunity to fail and taken the chance unequivocally. I'm looking at Stoneman and Wood.

Well done to Pakistan. That was a battling performance in unfamiliar conditions. Of course, an away win is a big deal in present day cricket.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Cook started out as a bad slipper, who became decent enough and now is reverting to his former standards.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby yuppie » Sun May 27, 2018 2:14 pm

Good Point AC. It is a great win for Pakistan. To much time being given to Englands problems with out enough credit being given to Pakistan. Who to be fair, out batted, bowled and even fielded better than England. When considering that Ireland were better in the field against them then that is a huge turnaround in a few weeks.
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches