Second Test: England v Pakistan, Headingley

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Second Test: England v Pakistan, Headingley

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue May 29, 2018 11:40 pm

On to round 2 of the English summer. One that sees the England test team at arguably its lowest ebb since the turn of the millennium.

England have a lot of soul searching to do after a wretched performance at Lord's. One that was not an aberration, but that speaks to a pattern of poor performance. Of course, this England team is nothing if not inconsistent, and the past three years of home form have shown that they have the capability to bounce back after a terrible performance (see: Headingley v West Indies, Trent Bridge v South Africa, Lord's v Pakistan and Lord's v Australia). So don't write them off. In fact, England haven't strung together back-to-back losses at home for 10 years (v South Africa, 2008). But the pressure will be tremendous, and should England lose, you would think that multiple heads must roll.

Despite not winning a test in eight attempts, England have only made one change to the line-up, with the in-form Keaton Jennings coming in for Mark Stoneman. Jennings has a test match hundred to his name, but suffered at the hands of the South African quicks in the early season last year. He has a fair bit to prove, but the bar is low. Chris Woakes may also return given Mark Wood's indifferent form.

Pakistan meanwhile are on the up after a famous victory. They just need to do the same again. One change is needed, with a replacement for the injured Babar Azam. Not sure yet who will get the nod.

Headingley is not a happy hunting ground for England - quite the reverse. It's a scene of several poor performances over the last few years. What England would give to be playing this game at Edgbaston, Old Trafford or Trent Bridge. But it isn't to be.

It's a few days out, but the weather for Leeds is set to be reasonable, with patchy clouds, some sunshine and temperatures in the low 20s. Fine test match weather, in fact. A few scattered showers and clouds on the first day, along with the brittle nature of England's batting line up, and Headingley's reputation for the ball moving when the cloud is around, suggests that both captains may be tempted to bowl first if they win the toss.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Re: Second Test: England v Pakistan, Headingley

Postby Durhamfootman » Wed May 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Hope it goes better than the first

and I hope that it doesn't rain in Leeds between now and Friday
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Good stuff bfl. Not sure England are of the quality of the sides who used to bounce back. England have lost to WI, SL and NZ in their last four games in Leeds.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed May 30, 2018 7:05 pm

what are england playing at agree with mark and dagnall why would you possibly have Sam curran at 6 when england are usually 100/4 would you really want sam batting in that position.
I personally would pick a batting cover and give hildreth a go, drop bess, pick 4 seam bowlers and have Jennings, Malan and Root providing 5th bowlers overs and spin.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed May 30, 2018 9:25 pm

A lost in the 2nd test and England go 7 in the rankings.
Could go 8 as well if they lose to wi and Sri Lanka in the winter.
Wouldn’t call out a scenario if they end up 9th if Bangladesh home form continues.
IMHO they wouldn’t actually be much of a gap between 9th and 8 really or 7th so it is possible.

Think england never been lower than 8 and when they were 8th coach and captain got sacked.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby ianp1970 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:57 pm

4.75 (just under 4 to 1 in old money) available on a second Pakistan victory. Seems a lot better value than staking £15 to win just £8 if England win...
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed May 30, 2018 10:19 pm

Sam Curran called up because Stokes is carrying an injury! That doesn't fill me with confidence.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Thu May 31, 2018 12:09 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Sam Curran called up because Stokes is carrying an injury! That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Nor me. Given the batting woes it seems odd to have a bowling all-rounder as cover for a number 6 batting all-rounder.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu May 31, 2018 12:12 am

ianp1970 wrote:4.75 (just under 4 to 1 in old money) available on a second Pakistan victory. Seems a lot better value than staking £15 to win just £8 if England win...

Are you seriously telling me that England are odds-on favourites to win with the bookies? Pakistan are 4-1 outsiders? Really?

I'm not a betting man, but gee, that's sorely tempting.

And Sam Curran? Really? A guy whose seven first class innings this season have a top score of 19? I can't see him actually playing given that Woakes is a better allrounder, but still. We have Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Wood as fast bowling options. Stokes bats at 6 (rightly or wrongly). Why the hell wouldn't you call up batting cover?

Crazy.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu May 31, 2018 8:47 am

Getting Bairstow to give up the gloves seems to be the new assumed cure for the middle order. I don't get that at all. Just because Sangakkara was revealed to be an ATG bat when he became batter only, it doesn't mean it's a generally repeatable phenomena. You've got to be a burdened genius to have the potential to be an unburdened genius.

Taking the captaincy off Root is another popular suggestion. There may be something in this. Not because it is definitely effecting his batting, but if someone suspects there is a better skipper and leader in the XI.

I wonder if Root will become our Lara not because of his legendary batting but because he was England's last great player in a period of epochal decline. Not an original thought, but one that nags away.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby yuppie » Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am

I think Root will be Englands Mark Waugh. Pleasing on the eye, gets lots of starts but does not convert to bigger scores. Just unlucky for England he does not have a twin who is better at turning starts into 100's :D
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 am

He has got a brother who plays for Notts.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:
ianp1970 wrote:4.75 (just under 4 to 1 in old money) available on a second Pakistan victory. Seems a lot better value than staking £15 to win just £8 if England win...

Are you seriously telling me that England are odds-on favourites to win with the bookies? Pakistan are 4-1 outsiders? Really?

When people tell me the Bookie always wins, they are probably not gamblers. In certain sports, the home bias really does give huge bloated value on away teams. Case in point. I think Pakistan were 5-1 even though England were 40-3 in the first test. That reduced to 4-1 at 170-8. England were still favourites with the bookie well into the game. I think Pakistan only caught up after they had passed Englands score.

Even after Cook got dismissed for a duck and well behind, Pakistan were only 8/13..... ok, no longer tremendous value, but considering the scenario, would England win 5 times out of 13 in that situation? I think 1/13 was more appropriate.

Obviously lots of home fans betting on England probably not knowing what they are doing.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu May 31, 2018 1:53 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Sam Curran called up because Stokes is carrying an injury! That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Nor me. Given the batting woes it seems odd to have a bowling all-rounder as cover for a number 6 batting all-rounder.

Would think Buttler moves up to six, then either Curran or Woakes play at seven should Stokes be unfit to play the 2nd test.

Not surprised Stokes is crocked considering he has not played a great deal of cricket in recent months. Would have been better off building strength and fitness playing County Championship cricket instead of the IPL circus.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby andy » Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Buttler at 6 and Curran 7 would worry me a lot.... suprised that Curran even got the nod to be honest...rumours that Bairstow is strugglung now as well..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Next

Return to Live Cricket Matches