First Test: England v India at Edgbaston, 1-5 August 2018.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: First Test: England v India at Edgbaston, 1-5 August 201

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:21 am

Dr Cricket wrote:Compared to other home teams it is a poor record.
they lost a test to pretty much every team at home in recent times.
that is a poor record.
lost 5 in last 10 at home as well.
you really can't spin that as good.
in home terms I believe england are 5th or 6th in the table.
that isn't good, it is more average or below average.

Losing one test in a series and going on to win the series is not a 'poor record'.

They haven't lost 5 in the last 10 at home. The last 10 home games reads W5, D2, L3.

Why do you keep skipping over the fact that England win home series?

Yes, they aren't as overwhelmingly dominant at home as India or Australia. But they still win a lot more than they lose at home, and are very difficult to beat over the course of a series.

India have a very strong chance to beat them in this series, and if they do it will rightly be considered a good achievement. Perhaps not as significant as a few years ago when England were stronger, but good nonetheless.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 am

Compared to other teams it is poor though.
when you put it on number it isn't poor but when you compare the results to other it is poor hopefully that does make sense.
TBH the reason why england or 5th or 6th isn't because of the away form, it is pretty much equal to others, the major difference is the home form.

I just feel you are glossing england losses at home because they find a way to win and nothing is really been changed about the losses, I personally don't think you should brag about losing to wI, India, PAk and Sri lanka at home.
the way is cricket is being played at the moment teams should be looking to win 90-100 percent of games at home and so in a way england home record is below par.

PS sorry about the wrong stats, just read it wrong.

Also just by looking at england home games in recent times they been pushed all the way and haven't really had any easy series so they had to push very hard for wins whereas other teams kind of have loads of easy wins.
Sri lanka breezed past SA at home and SA were meant to be the 2nd best teams in the world and Sri lanka 7th or something like that Gap was meant to be very big yet Sri lanka looked so much better than SA at home and it will be vice versa in SA.
Whereas at the moment every team looks at england and thinks they beatable at england.
no one thinks that england gonna be a challenge and it would be tough to just stay in the game.
no one fears england in england anymore.

Anyway I am happy to disagree on this.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:30 am

England have also won more matches at home than any other side in that period of time. Reason? They play more matches than anyone else.

Sri Lanka have lost 9 in the same amount of time, out of far fewer matches played. Bangladesh aren't unbeatable at home, they have a 50:50 win-loss record.

South Africa don't win everything at home - England beat them for a start, as did Australia.

Your 'personal' rankings don't appear to match reality.

A poor home record would be West Indies, or Bangladesh, who actually lose home series on a regular basis.

England win nearly all their series at home. That is a fact that you keep ignoring.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:33 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:England have also won more matches at home than any other side in that period of time. Reason? They play more matches than anyone else.

Sri Lanka have lost 9 in the same amount of time, out of far fewer matches played. Bangladesh aren't unbeatable at home, they have a 50:50 win-loss record.

South Africa don't win everything at home - England beat them for a start, as did Australia.

Your 'personal' rankings don't appear to match reality.

A poor home record would be West Indies, or Bangladesh, who actually lose home series on a regular basis.

England win nearly all their series at home. That is a fact that you keep ignoring.

They lost to most teams at home in recent times though you cannot beat that also chances are Australia, England SA are gonna get hammered in Sri lanka, sri lanka generally only lose at home to the Sub C teams since they are very bad lately.
anyway I am gonna produce the home league table soon to show you how average england home record is.

Really nothing to brag about england home record in recent times.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 am

Dr Cricket wrote:I just feel you are glossing england losses at home because they find a way to win and nothing is really been changed about the losses, I personally don't think you should brag about losing to wI, India, PAk and Sri lanka at home.
the way is cricket is being played at the moment teams should be looking to win 90-100 percent of games at home and so in a way england home record is below par.

I'm not glossing over the losses, just pointing out that England are winning those series 2-1 or 3-1. You seem to be focusing far more on individual losses.

Losing to India at home? Last I checked, England won that series 3-1.

Dr Cricket wrote:Whereas at the moment every team looks at england and thinks they beatable at england.
no one thinks that england gonna be a challenge and it would be tough to just stay in the game.
no one fears england in england anymore.

So how come nobody's actually beaten them in a series at home for four years?
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:37 am

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ;type=team

last 4 years
England are 5th basically next to the minnow of test cricket and in reality they should be below Sri lanka soon since I doubt sri lanka would lose a test to a non Sub c team at the moment in home conditions.

Massive gap between the top 4 and England though.
if you think that is a good home record then I am never really gonna win this argument or make you change your views so happy to agree to disagree here.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:42 am

Bigfluffy that because winning away from home is very difficult.
it hardly will happen but I can tell you that India and Australia are looking at beating england at home in 2018 and 2019.
they both confident of their chances.
winnings away from home is probably the hardest thing in the sports especially a 4th or 5th match series since home teams can make it so tough for you to cross the line.

TBH I actually think in recent times england home record or performances at home is more of a concern then them getting thrashed in Australia or India.
they probably need to fix the home issues first and getting a settled teams before they can look at being competitive away from home.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:43 am

Massive gap between India and Australia, massive gap between Australia and the rest.

England still have a significant winning record at home. We're clearly applying different standards. If you judge a 90% winning home record to be the standard required for 'good', that's up to you. A 2:1 win-loss ratio at home and victory in most series qualifies as decent in my books. Not amazing, but still indicative of a team that's hard to beat at home. And definitely not poor.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:48 am

Anyway the points is that between 2000-2013
England hardly lost a test at home only lost a series to Aus, India and twice to SA.
it was rare thing to see England lose a test to anyone.
since 2014 england losing test at home been quite regular and they been losing to weird teams as well.
wouldn't surprise me to see if the number of test lost between 2000-2013 is similar to the number england lost in the last 4 yrs.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:51 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:Massive gap between India and Australia, massive gap between Australia and the rest.

England still have a significant winning record at home. We're clearly applying different standards. If you judge a 90% winning home record to be the standard required for 'good', that's up to you. A 2:1 win-loss ratio at home and victory in most series qualifies as decent in my books. Not amazing, but still indicative of a team that's hard to beat at home. And definitely not poor.

Yeah think we looking at different standard.
TBH in my opinion England and india should always at all times look at dominating the sport because of the money, resources and everything they have.
it is actually a disgrace if teams like WI, Sri lanka etc win a match against these teams.
which is probably why I am being harsh since England should be near the top.

England have certainly under performed compared to the money and resources they have compared to the others.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:55 am

Anyway should be an interesting series wonder if this series would be the point people look at when india dominate the sport in the next 20-30 yrs.
the way I see the structure of cricket in india and the players coming through I see them being a balance side that could be competitive and challenge teams in all conditions in the future.
the money, populations and fans should in reality means it is only a matter of time till india dominate cricket.
will this be india time we have to wait and see.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:46 am

Dr Cricket wrote:England have certainly under performed compared to the money and resources they have compared to the others.

Now that I will agree with.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:35 am

At least we agree on something lol.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:23 am

That really isn't an XI that inspires confidence.

I am quite worried that England are going to be on the receiving end of a drubbing in this series.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 am

Really need a strong start by India with the idiots in the press box, already talking crap.
Maybe I need to follow an example led by Kohli and not read the *modded*.
They do realise england played the same amount of red ball cricket as India did during the tour started right.
Jheez cancelling one day of training at Essex as really annoyed the hell out of English journo, really insane how much they care about these games that has nothing to do with them.

A strong start like the South Africa 2012 is needed where berry was made to look like an idiot.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches