First Test: England v India at Edgbaston, 1-5 August 2018.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: First Test: England v India at Edgbaston, 1-5 August 201

Postby andy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:09 pm

Fantastic game of test cricket, and a good pitch for it! Fantastic performance by the bowlers, but our batting needs so so much work!!! Great win though, and great to go 1-0 up!!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby meninblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 pm

This was one of the worst test match i have seen. I dislike such crap fielding. Regulation catches have been dropped by both teams and at this level so many dropped regulation catches is pathetic to watch for me. As if Kamran Akmal, Monty Panesar, Rahul Dravid in last two years in slip were fielding in same fielding side. The bowlers deserve a lot of credit for picking 40 wickets in just over 3 days for all the rubbish fielding that they had to their support. Fielding has been at its worst and batting has been better only when compared to fielding standards in this test. Watching bowling is the only positive thing from this test match imo.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:20 pm

There was definitely some poor quality fielding, and some dodgy batting but the bowling was high class throughout.

In terms of watchability, absolutely right up there, and a great advert for the game, so not sure what Adi means by worst?

You should have a great chance at Lords, your only win in 2014, Pakistan hammered us there a few months ago, and Stokes is likely to be absent.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby andy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:22 pm

I think we will struggle at Lords, will be a lot flatter, and Curran will probably be less effective, meaning Rashid will have a lot more overs to bowl....and i don't know how much Root trusts him at the moment..
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 pm

England got away with it, I see.

Gentle Ben
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby sussexpob » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:34 pm

Obviously they asked snicko who man of the match was, and it produced that result. Laughable really. Insult to kohli
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby meninblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:01 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:There was definitely some poor quality fielding, and some dodgy batting but the bowling was high class throughout.

In terms of watchability, absolutely right up there, and a great advert for the game, so not sure what Adi means by worst?

You should have a great chance at Lords, your only win in 2014, Pakistan hammered us there a few months ago, and Stokes is likely to be absent.

I can understand one dropped catch per batting innings. But here there were so many and so many of them were normal catches:

1. Ajinkya dropped Keaton.
2. Karthik dropped Sam
3. Shikhar dropped Dawid
4. Shikhar dropped Rashid
5. Shikhar dropped Sam.
6. Dawid drops Virat.
7. Dawid drops Virat again.
8. Cook dropped Hardik.
9. Dawid drops Vijay.

I am not sure whether that is complete list. It's not just the number of dropped catches which i find disgusting but the type of catches. How many of those catches required a full stretch dive. None iirc.

Add to that, the batting has been pathetic as well by most of the batsmen. The gap between bat and pad of Dinesh Karthik was enough for two elephants to go through. The shot that Rahul played in first innings was horrible. It highlights the lack of temperament. As if he had a huge pressure of SR or as if this was a T20i match requiring a T20 temperament. The shot that Ajinkya got out, trying to score runs over three slips. That showed he too brought his T20i game to play in test match. Okay, one has to score but such a risky shot over an area which has 3 fielders and one wicket keeper ?. A shot which had very less percentile of safety. The Indian players showed total lack of temperament. One can understand that England had two world class bowlers in Jimmy and Broad, so some edges where bound to happen no matter how good the technique was. But what i cannot understand is lack of temperament and shot selection. These batsmen have lost the art of doing well-left. Vijay and Ajinkya were two good leavers outside off stump. Now those two are looking to score runs of deliveries which they once used to leave and remove the basics of their success before in test cricket. There are many sessions which i did not get to watch and may fit into bad dismisals from batsmen of both teams. The way test format is approached by most of our batsmen is of very bad quality and hence we struggle whenever the batting conditions are tough. The same batsmen will score loads of massive runs whenever the conditions are favorable for batting in this series.

That is why i wrote this was a very bad test i have seen in terms of fielding and batting approach as elaborated in this post.

At Lords, i expect conditions will be more favorable to batsmen and England have been defeated by Asian teams before over here. Think India won here on last tour. Pak won one match at Lords? Someone else too. So in spite of this loss i have hopes that due to couple of favorable scenarios we have better probability of winning at Lords.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:02 pm

sussexpob wrote:Obviously they asked snicko who man of the match was, and it produced that result. Laughable really. Insult to kohli

When was the last time a MOM was on the losing side?

Curran got us back in the game twice, once with the ball and once with the bat, so it was a decent call.

I don't think that blip on snicko was bat, I could see daylight between bat and ball. You have to consider bat brushing pad as well as other scuffs and noises around the bat as possibilities for the small spike in the graph.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby andy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Im happy with Curran getting MOM, Kohli a close 2nd

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby meninblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:16 pm

sussexpob wrote:Obviously they asked snicko who man of the match was, and it produced that result. Laughable really. Insult to kohli

It would be insult to Sam as well if Virat or Ishant had got it . Similarly it would be an insult to Ishant who took 5 fer if MOM was Virat or Sam. None of Sam or Virat scored fluent runs. Ishant's bowling was flawless. It depends whom we chose to find flaws in. If one watches Virat's full innings then one can find lots of flaws in dropped catches and countless missed edges but given the context of the match i would say it was good innings which bought hopes of win for Indian team. Similarly flaws can be found in batting innings of Sam or probably even few lose balls that Ishant was scored off ?

To me Sam contributed important 24 when England were struggling to go past 250. Then he ran through India's top order in a matter of few overs and put us totally on backfoot. Then when England was about to get out below 150, he came and smashed 63 from 64 balls. Like i posted before the MOM was given i had him as MOM as well.

Having said that i would not be too fussed if Virat or Ishant had got it. All three were contendors but i agree with the MOM selection in this case.
meninblue

Postby andy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:22 pm

ah yes forgot about Ishant's performance...keeping Bumrah out of the side!

andy

West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby meninblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:28 pm

andy wrote:ah yes forgot about Ishant's performance...keeping Bumrah out of the side!

5 fer 51 in spite of all the crap fielding and dropped catches. So if we add context his actual performance looks more better.

With Virat you never know, Ishant could be dropped. :laugh Bhuvi was dropped for second test in SA after scoring 38 runs and picking 6 wickets for 120 odd runs in first test !

Kuldeep was dropped after taking fiver fer against England in T20i series.
meninblue

Postby alfie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:37 pm

sussexpob wrote:If I were kohli I'd be demanding an explanation of the Sharma wicket. Makes no sense at all.

Hardly. Clear space between bat and ball - on my TV anyway :)

And that little "tremor" didn't look like an edge to me...nor , obviously , to the third umpire. Lot of little noises happen around the batsman. I'm satisfied the correct decision was made - and I didn't detect any shock or outrage from the Indian camp over it.
alfie

Postby alfie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 pm

Excellent advertisement for Test Cricket .

True , fielding was often shocking and batting hard work with few exceptions...but perhaps that was largely down to some very good bowling from both sides on a pitch that gave all types of bowlers considerable assistance. Even on the first day I felt it was likely to be a fairly low scoring match. Class mostly won out : Kohli supreme ; but Root and Bairstow also the only other fifty makers in the match ...until Curran's belligerent fight back effort . In fact apart from those four , only Jennings and Pandya passed thirty in the match...
I suspect a previous generation of batsmen might have done rather better ; but you can't have everything - these moderns score at a regularly good rate , largely due to habits brought across from the limited overs stuff. You win some , you lose some.

Twists and turns ; each side seemingly about to take an unassailable advantage only to be pegged back...all the way down to a tense finish . Everything you want to see , surely ? This is what makes the five day (OK , four day :) ) format the best.

The batsmen get to play on plenty of roads ; nice to have one that gives the bowlers something - and I think such conditions (which were far from impossible for batting , just challenging) generally make for more interesting cricket. Hope the remaining pitches have something for everyone too...
alfie

Postby alfie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Sympathy for Kohli , whose efforts didn't deserve to see him on the losing side. I would have had him as MoTM , brilliant as young Curran's match turning performance was.
But with his all round influence - and the tradition of awarding it to someone on the winning team - you can see why it went where it did.

If his teammates can back him up next match , India will have a great chance to fight back at Lord's ...England will miss Stokes !

This may go on to be a very interesting series.
alfie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches