First Test: England v India at Edgbaston, 1-5 August 2018.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: First Test: England v India at Edgbaston, 1-5 August 201

Postby meninblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:06 pm

alfie wrote:Sympathy for Kohli , whose efforts didn't deserve to see him on the losing side. I would have had him as MoTM , brilliant as young Curran's match turning performance was.
But with his all round influence - and the tradition of awarding it to someone on the winning team - you can see why it went where it did.

If his teammates can back him up next match , India will have a great chance to fight back at Lord's ...England will miss Stokes !

This may go on to be a very interesting series.

What happened to Ben? How many tests will he miss. Took Virat's wicket :x I will be very excited if he misses remaining whole series.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby captaincolly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Adi wrote:
alfie wrote:Sympathy for Kohli , whose efforts didn't deserve to see him on the losing side. I would have had him as MoTM , brilliant as young Curran's match turning performance was.
But with his all round influence - and the tradition of awarding it to someone on the winning team - you can see why it went where it did.

If his teammates can back him up next match , India will have a great chance to fight back at Lord's ...England will miss Stokes !

What happened to Ben? How many tests will he miss. Took Virat's wicket :x I will be very excited if he misses remaining whole series.

His court case starts Monday and is apparently likely to last between 5-7 days. Should just miss the second test.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby meninblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:19 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Adi wrote:

His court case starts Monday and is apparently likely to last between 5-7 days. Should just miss the second test.

Thank you. I hope the hearing gets adjourned few more times until this series ends. :idea:
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:23 pm

alfie wrote:
sussexpob wrote:If I were kohli I'd be demanding an explanation of the Sharma wicket. Makes no sense at all.

Hardly. Clear space between bat and ball - on my TV anyway :)

And that little "tremor" didn't look like an edge to me...nor , obviously , to the third umpire. Lot of little noises happen around the batsman. I'm satisfied the correct decision was made - and I didn't detect any shock or outrage from the Indian camp over it.

I'd refer anyone who is interested (nobody) to the discussion I had with delta alpha years ago about snicko on the drs mandatory thread, page 18. It's not interesting, but technically explains how sound engineering works.

It's very unlikely, verging on impossible, that a sound be filtered to block out ambient sounds and you get incidental sounds coming through. The bat doesn't hit the pad as the tremor registers, it does so as the ball pass the edge.

If an incidental sounds pass through the filter, to register it is likely to have to have been such a large sound in the same frequency ranges as an edge sound.

I said to delpha alpha years ago, people get confused about sounds and shapes of waves they recognise, but it's totally wrong to do that.

If the ball is next to the bat and a clear sound registers, it doesn't matter how big or if it's the expected shape, you are 99.9 percent sure it's bat on ball.

The shape of the oscillation can and is always manipulated. It's changed by all around it.

He's either hit it, or snicko is compromised. They are literally the only two conclusions.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby captaincolly » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Adi wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Adi wrote:

Thank you. I hope the hearing gets adjourned few more times until this series ends. :idea:

There was an article on cricinfo saying if there is an adjournment he'll probably play the second test. I don't know anything about these cases but the suggestion was that adjournment is highly unlikely.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby meninblue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:35 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Adi wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Adi wrote:

There was an article on cricinfo saying if there is an adjournment he'll probably play the second test. I don't know anything about these cases but the suggestion was that adjournment is highly unlikely.

With Sam Curran giving such performance it will give some peace of mind to Joe Root. Otherwise Ben's absence could have been a major issue. Actually the way he bowled was very surprising. He looked very ordinary when I watched his bowling in May. But he is taking key wickets now. Obviously the major difference is the conditions.
meninblue

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Unless my tv is broken there is a visible gap between the bat and the ball

You can even see off stump in the gap between ball and bat
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:40 pm

looked good to me too, on higlights
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:41 pm

I didn't realise there was any controversy, or I wouldn't have deleted my recording of the highlights
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:08 am

None of the commentary I've read suggests there is any controversy about that wicket whatsoever. There is daylight between bat and ball on the replay and nothing on hotspot.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby alfie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:32 am

sussexpob wrote:
alfie wrote:
sussexpob wrote:If I were kohli I'd be demanding an explanation of the Sharma wicket. Makes no sense at all.

Hardly. Clear space between bat and ball - on my TV anyway :)

And that little "tremor" didn't look like an edge to me...nor , obviously , to the third umpire. Lot of little noises happen around the batsman. I'm satisfied the correct decision was made - and I didn't detect any shock or outrage from the Indian camp over it.

I'd refer anyone who is interested (nobody) to the discussion I had with delta alpha years ago about snicko on the drs mandatory thread, page 18. It's not interesting, but technically explains how sound engineering works.

It's very unlikely, verging on impossible, that a sound be filtered to block out ambient sounds and you get incidental sounds coming through. The bat doesn't hit the pad as the tremor registers, it does so as the ball pass the edge.

If an incidental sounds pass through the filter, to register it is likely to have to have been such a large sound in the same frequency ranges as an edge sound.

I said to delpha alpha years ago, people get confused about sounds and shapes of waves they recognise, but it's totally wrong to do that.

If the ball is next to the bat and a clear sound registers, it doesn't matter how big or if it's the expected shape, you are 99.9 percent sure it's bat on ball.

The shape of the oscillation can and is always manipulated. It's changed by all around it.

He's either hit it, or snicko is compromised. They are literally the only two conclusions.

Well in fact I remember reading that discussion at the time (and just reread it) Contrary to your comment , Sussex , I did find it quite interesting - though I have to confess I wasn't quite able to understand all the finer details !
Obviously I'm not silly enough to try and argue with you on something that is not my field ; but I do note that you use words such as "unlikely" and " 99.9%" ...which point to a lack of total certainty , do they not ? And unless I am mistaken , you have not actually been involved in the design or operation of the snicko device that is used in the drs system.

I do not know what extraneous sounds manage to infiltrate the system ; but I am fairly sure I have at times seen small unexplained marks on the snicko visual that are quite clearly nothing to do with the bat. In the case at hand - I haven't yet viewed it back - I had assumed any extra sound was a case of bat on pad , bat on boot ; as many have said it seemed the ball was nowhere near the edge of the bat,

Look I may be wrong - not claiming omniscience - but the total lack of any surprise on the part of the batsman I think also supports my contention that there was no edge...as does the fact that no one apart from yourself seems to think here was anything controversial about the decision.

Hey maybe snicko is indeed "compromised" ? I don't know ; but I certainly don't believe there was clear and obvious grounds to overturn the onfield decision of out...
alfie

Postby meninblue » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:46 am

My simple take on the dismissal.... I am sure that there is no controversy regarding any of Indian dismissal. Else there would have been chaos in Indian fans right now, especially the decision being against us. The chaos right now is about our batsmen apart from Virat Kohli in these batting conditions.
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:47 pm

Here it is
Attachments
Sharma.JPG
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:None of the commentary I've read suggests there is any controversy about that wicket whatsoever. There is daylight between bat and ball on the replay and nothing on hotspot.

Hotspot isnt being used in the series, is it? Think India dont agree to use it in last few years. Certainly over 3.5 days, I never once saw Sky use it (or I have gone mad). Certainly wasnt used by the umpire.

Is there daylight in the picture below?

sussexpob

Postby alfie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:05 pm

sussexpob wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:None of the commentary I've read suggests there is any controversy about that wicket whatsoever. There is daylight between bat and ball on the replay and nothing on hotspot.

Hotspot isnt being used in the series, is it? Think India dont agree to use it in last few years. Certainly over 3.5 days, I never once saw Sky use it (or I have gone mad). Certainly wasnt used by the umpire.

Is there daylight in the picture below?

I think there is. Not a lot of it ; but any is enough...

Obviously you see this differently from the rest of us so I think we'd best agree to disagree...
alfie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches