Third Test: England v India at Trent Bridge, 18-22 August.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Third Test: England v India at Trent Bridge, 18-22 Augus

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:32 pm

don't worry sports fans......... England have lots of players who'll try and hit their way out of trouble
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby DiligentDefence » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:33 pm

mikesiva wrote:Pope out for 16! Shami!

It seems to me Pope has been pushed into the Test team a little too early. The West indies did the same to Hetmyer. He's only just recovering.

Probably too early. Certainly too high in the order.
Ban v Eng combined fantasy guru '10 summer chess champ
'10 Ban v Zim ODI fantasy guru 2011 county division one prediction guru
2011 Zim vs NZ combined prediction guru 2011 India vs WI Tests prediction guru
2012 CB40 fantasy league guru 2014 World T20 fantasy guru
2015 6 Nations prediction league winners 2016 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2017 Masters Fantasy league Winner 2018 Ryder Cup fantasy league winner
2019 WI v Eng ODI fantasy league 2019 Eng v Pak ODI fantasy league winner
DiligentDefence

Team(s) Supported: Northants, England

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:34 pm

Pant drops Buttler.... how many times has he been dropped this summer? Its making him look far from the utter useless bat he seems to be. Probably hammer a quickfire 30 now and claim he scored more runs this test than 6 batsman combined.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:39 pm

Pandie all over Stokes that over. Shami all over Buttler..... if we are 4 down at lunch, ill be amazed
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Buttler edges again, lands safe.... must have said his prayers this morning

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm

This time its an inside edge.... for four.

12 off 4 balls this over. Buttlers been out classed and decides to go route 1... another risk filled cover drive

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Well they made it to lunch somehow. Thanks in no small part to India's keeper dropping a wicket

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:04 pm

Obviously the draw has gone. Could still make it to the close though.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:22 pm

The draw was arguably never there even for a team on form with a functional line up, but I am not sure the state of the game at all matters for England's batters.Take the context of the match score out of the equation, and I see 7 players all bang out of form who should be looking at every single ball in test cricket as an opportunity to express their suitability. Lets not beat around the bush, at the moment we could probably drop all of them and not feel that much like it was a loss. Apart from Root, who's way off his best, no one else would have gotten near our team 10 years ago with these performances. And they arent isolated. They are consistently under par, some for many series in a row.

Id have expected that every single one of these players went out and batted like demons. Lay down a mark. Show the public they have it, that they want it. What do we get..nothing? Nada....

Jennings.... footwork presumed dead, last seen... er..... never actually. How many tiues does he need to throw his bat at wider balls with no movement from his feet before our iditoic coaches and selectors realise the best he can do in international cricket is carry the drinks?

Cook.... the gaps between his scores and his failures seems to be widening to the point youd be forgiven for assuming he can actually score a 100 now.

Root.... averaging now creeping into the 30s at 3. Averages over 60 in the next to slots.... tell me again why he's being asked to come in at 3, a place he has said he doesnt like?? More clear sky thinking.

Stokes.... not batted well, but so far today he's just been beaten by a few balls, not gone chasing any as yet.

Buttler...... has one approach. An approach that is rarely useful. He will only ever get starts, and only has done this summer with massive luck. Why is he there?

Bairstow.... those gloves are hiding an ever increasingly obvious batting decline.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:30 pm

Mo nearing 200...
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:46 pm

I seen criticism of Ramprakash on this thread earlier, but I am not sure what Ramps could do with this sorry ragtag bunch of no hopers to make them test standard. Can you imagine being a coach at the highest level, and Keaton Jennings strolls up to the nets the day before a test match; I'd be puzzled quite frankly. It must have felt like that scene in the 1990s film "Memphis Belle" where the hot shot doctor played by Billy Zane turns out to be a just a fraud who flunked medical school when his comrade gets blown to pieces by cannon flak and he has to administer first aid.

"Ok Keaton, going to start with some throw downs to warm up".... "ready".......

Ball goes down

"Ok Keaton, not bad, but try getting those feet moving, yeah? Foot to the pitch, remember that. Ok mate, lets try again"......

Several hours later

"So when you said you played cricket, did you mean the English or French version? The English version? Are you sure? No mate, not arguing, just wondering? Why? Well, its just you remind me of my 5 year old playing French cricket in the park. Why? Well, you known, the rules in French cricket mean you cant move your legs or feet... so it kind of occurs to me you might not have played proper cricket before".....

Repeat for days, months, years

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:48 pm

I think its fair to point out that India have also out bowled England here. Englands batting has been shocking but after being put in England would have expected more from their bowlers on the first day. Reminds me a bit of Adelaide.

I also think getting rid of the left arm bowler has taken away some variety from the England attack. The arrogance of the selectors to think that they could drop one of the better players from the first 2 tests speaks volumes about their ability as selectors.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:53 pm

yuppie wrote:I think its fair to point out that India have also out bowled England here. Englands batting has been shocking but after being put in England would have expected more from their bowlers on the first day. Reminds me a bit of Adelaide. I also think getting rid of the left arm bowler has taken away some variety from the England attack. The arrogance of the selectors to think that they could drop one of the better players from the first 2 tests speaks volumes about their ability as selectors.

Criticism of the bowlers for me personally is wide of the mark. They are the only thing that keeps this team from being utter tripe, and are almost exclusively responsible for any success we have. So they dont turn up a couple of innings a summer (well 300/350 is hardly a massively bad day at the office,so more a case of putting in a few average rather than bad performances) , but this is forgivable to the point of not being worth of mention. Until India score 500 on a helpful pitch, id be more inclined personally to give them infinite free passes.

Id imagine Curran will be back for the next test....and Id bet my life its in place of Woakes instead of Stokes.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Overall it is harsh to blame the bowlers, because for most of the time they are Englands only saving grace. But when they don't perform to their best, then England are in real trouble. A team should never loose 10 wickets in a session, the fault in this test is mostly with the batsman. But this test also shows that if the bowlers are not at the top of their game, then they really can not rely on the Batsman to get them out of trouble.
yuppie

Postby yuppie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm

The Stokes inclusion after already naming the squad for this test has backfired for England. They named the squad already and could have said that they will consider Stokes for the 4th test.

It would also have said to players that if you perform well, you will keep your place. Sends out the wrong message to the players on the fringe of the team.
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches