Fourth Test: England vs India 2018

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Fourth Test: England vs India 2018

Postby backfootpunch » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:37 pm

andy wrote:Burns,Gubbins,Vince?

They can't do any worse than the current lot

Might as well just pick the best 3 slip catchers in county cricket, they will save us 150 runs a test match because of all the drops

Any runs would be a pleasant bonus
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:My impression is that (most) home boards started using the warm ups as a means to winning the series, and now it has become standard behaviour. I think those advocating better preparation mean that this shouldn't happen.

Yes, obviously meaningful practice is the key. There's no point playing 5 bloody warm-up games against Glamorgan B on a flat track. The preparation games should be against Division 1 first team opposition, and should be fully competitive four day games. Maybe even give the host team a few bonus points to their CC table score if they win to give them an incentive to play their best XI and prepare a track that gives a chance of a result. Using A teams and/or an Ireland test is another option. I wasn't advocating longer tours for their own sake. We have to move away from this tit-for-tat by home boards giving the tourists no meaningful preparation on purpose. Everybody does it now. I'm not sure who started it (Australia?), but it's become pervasive.

Of course England would be annihilated on rank turners. No one is pretending this result actually means they're a really good side. They've been relying on their bowling to win home series for a long time. Doesn't mean they're not hard to beat at home because of it.

BTW - agree 90% with what sussex said about India's previous series, but I think you're understanding SRT's contribution to the 2007 win. He top-scored with 91 for India in the match that they won, and I vividly remember his battle with Sidebottom and Tremlett on day 3 - he played superbly.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:15 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
andy wrote:Burns,Gubbins,Vince?

They can't do any worse than the current lot

Might as well just pick the best 3 slip catchers in county cricket, they will save us 150 runs a test match because of all the drops

Any runs would be a pleasant bonus

Not Vince, good grief. Maybe Burns, Gubbins, Hildreth?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby andy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Would love to see Hildreth finally get a go...
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches