India tour of Australia, Nov 21 - Jan 18

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: India tour of Australia, Nov 21 - Jan 18

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:35 pm

yuppie wrote:Just pride left for Australia now.

Perhaps they can add to these great stats from this series.

Highest Australian score....79 Harris
Total 50's.......8
Harris 2
Head 2
Marsh, Khwaja, Finch and Cumming 1

1 innings to go, so many records to be broken......

To answer the earlier question, surprisingly the last time Australia failed to score a hundred in a home series was 2009/10 v the West Indies. However, that seems to have been a bit of a freak result - Australia's batting average in that series was 42, they scored 15 fifties, but the highest individual score was 99.

Other than that, Australia have failed to score a century in a home series only six times, five of which came in the 1870s or 1880s. And four of the seven previous occasions where they failed to score a century in a home series, the 'series' was a one-off match.

Australia have never yet failed to score a century in a home series of 4 or more matches. What is more, Harris' 79 is the lowest individual series high score in a home series for Australia since the 1880s
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

On the batting average front, this is currently the 13th worst home series for Australia. However, eight of those thirteen worse performances took place before World War I, so are hardly comparable. Although currently the Australian team batting average is ever so slightly better than the team average in the 2016/17 defeat to South Africa.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... iew=series

The 326 made at Perth is the team's high score for the series, which is the lowest high score in a home series since 1980, when New Zealand toured in what was an extraordinarily low-scoring series overall. Lillee and Thomson on one side, Hadlee on the other (Hadlee took 19 Australian wickets in 3 games!). The only other instances of Australia registering a lower team high score for a series took place in the 19th century.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... iew=series

No matter how you cut it, this is one of Australia's worst home batting performances, certainly of the modern era. You can argue about which was the actual worst, but it's right up there.

Of course, I should probably have done the analysis at the end of today's play, as it could get better or worse for Australia. Maybe I will this evening :)
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby yuppie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:47 pm

A Cummins 100 with a 50 from Lyon will rescue the batting stats for this series.........
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:51 pm

No wonder they had timeless Tests in the nineteenth century when the format began. They can't have conceived game could last longer than three days.

Have to give credit to Indian bowlers I suppose for the stats in the current series.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:53 pm

Not sure runs in this innings will count for much. Not much glory in turning up once the show is over.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:08 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:No wonder they had timeless Tests in the nineteenth century when the format began. They can't have conceived game could last longer than three days.

Have to give credit to Indian bowlers I suppose for the stats in the current series.

Indeed. For those sorts of stats, you need a quality bowling attack as well as helpful pitches and hapless batting.

Apart from the 1980 series against New Zealand I mentioned above (Hadlee playing an incredible lone hand), one of the other worst Australian batting performances at home in the modern era is the 1984 tour by the West Indies, where the bowling attack featured Marshall, Garner, Holding and Walsh.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/c/engine/series/61908.html

But even in that series, Australia made 471/9 in the final test in Sydney with 173 from Kepler Wessels, although they didn't break 300 in any of their other innings. Wessels also had a couple of 90s, and there was another ton in there somewhere.

In terms of averages, the South Africa tour in 16-17 ranks as one of the worst Australia home series, but it is skewed slightly by being a three test series in which Australia were blown away in one test (85 and 161). The other tests they scored 244 and 361 (not that bad, but not enough given the Saffers scored 500), and 383 and 127/3 (won the match). Khawaja made 97 in the first test and 145 in the final test.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Afr ... E2%80%9317

Discounting the 1800s, it is hard to find another home series in Australia where every single member of the home side's line-up has failed in the way they have in this series.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 am

Rain delays the start :no

The forecast and radar suggests that there isn't too much around, so hopefully we'll see play within an hour or so.

It's somewhat academic at this point - given that a draw seems overwhelmingly likely as we're going to have a stop-start day the only real point of interest is to the stats nerds like me to see if Australia's batting stats for the series can get even worse. And of course for the fantasy league participants...
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 am

As an aside, it does seem a bit crazy that players can go off during a test for 'bad light' when there are floodlights at the ground that allow play to take place at night (and frequently do throughout the summer in ODIs and BBL games).
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:34 am

Still raining, and the radar suggests there is still quite a bit of drizzle around. Looks unlikely we'll get any play before lunch now :(
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 am

Lunch to be taken at the scheduled time of 12.30, even if it stops raining now :facepalm
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:45 am

Still no play. Cricinfo saying play will be called off. India losing the opportunity to match England's 3-1 in 2010-11. This series would have matched England's for results (save the draw in Brisbane) on each ground and in result progression. We called the Aussie team then the worst since the eighties, but this feels a much better fit for that title.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:09 am

The Aussie team in 2010 had better batting but worse bowling, IMO. England racked up over 500 four times in that series. It was the best England batting line-up in my lifetime, but still, they destroyed the Aussie bowling. Whereas on the Aussie batting side, they had Katich, Ponting (admittedly out of form), Clarke, Hussey, Haddin. Hell, Watson averaged 48 in that series, Hussey 63 with two hundreds, and Haddin 45.

On the subject of how bad the Australian batting has been in this series, with nothing better to do my inner stats nerd is trawling around. Only two Australian players have an average of over 35 in this series, and one of those has only played one innings (Labuschange's 38). Harris has an average of 36.85 with two fifties, and Head is the only other Aussie to average over 30, with an average of 33.85 and two fifties.

I can't work out how to make statsguru give me a definitive answer, but I've been through most of the low scoring series for Australia that I previously discussed, and a few others, and again excepting the efforts in the 1800s, the only home series I can find where no Australian managed to average 40 is:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ype=series

Only two Aussies averaged over 30 in that series: Border with 36.5 (but only 1 fifty, a couple of not-outs in his debut series, brought into the side when Australia were already 2-0 down), and Yallop with 32.58 (and two hundreds). That was a six match series with the Aussie team decimated by the defections to World Series Cricket.

You can't help but wonder what would have happened if the England and India tours were the other way round: if India had toured last year, and the Ashes were this year?
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:30 am

Play called off.

Well done India. Thoroughly deserved first triumph in Australia, not only for India but for any Asian team. Well played. :clap
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 am

My series ratings. Feel free to quibble over my biases and inconsistencies :)

India
Pujara - 9 - simply immense.
Bumrah - 8.5 - emerging as one of the best quicks going
Ishant - 8 - excellent
Shami - 8 - also excellent
Kuldeep - 8 - only one innings, but took a 5-fer on a decent batting wicket
Agarwal - 7.5 - looks like he belongs at this level, but should have gone on in Sydney
Pant - 7 - scored the bulk of his runs when Australia had pretty much given up, but handy contributions throughout the series, and kept decently
Kohli - 7 - a quiet series by his high standards, but still averaged over 40 and scored a ton
Ashwin - 7 - running injured, but a good contribution in Adelaide
Jadeja - 6.5 - solid with bat and ball, again though scored most of his runs when Australia were already down and out
Sharma 4 - disappointing - 1 fifty in an India win, but otherwise little contribution
Rahane 4 - ditto
Vihari 2 - opening was a disaster. Made a couple of starts but couldn't go on
Vijay 1 - walking wicket
Rahul 1 - ditto
Umesh 1 - his selection rather than a spinner probably cost India a win in Perth

Australia
Lyon - 7 - Australia's top performer in Adelaide, Perth, and even arguably in Sydney, although slightly flattered by his figures there.
Cummins - 6 - Took most of his wickets in one incredible spell, but that spell gets marked down slightly for being in an already lost cause. Handy contributions with the bat too.
Harris 5.5 - Just about scrapes a passing grade for two fifties, including an important contribution in Australia's only win, but kept finding ways to get out
Labuschagne - 5 - Not much to go on, but did ok in his one innings.
Head - 5 - one of the few Australians to come out of the series with reputation undamaged, but that's partly because it wasn't amazing to start with
Hazlewood - 4.5 - below par
Khawaja - 4 - Australia needed so much more from him
Shaun Marsh - 4 - is he really one of the best six batsmen in the country?
Paine - 4 - gets a bonus point for keeping well
Starc - 3 - made a couple of useful contributions, especially in Australia's win in Perth, but was significantly undercooked most of the time.
Handscomb - 2 - Pretty awful
Finch - 1 - unlucky to be out of position, but even then achieved almost nothing
M Marsh - 0 - 26 economical but entirely un-threatening overs while India piled on the runs, and no runs himself. What was the point?
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby meninblue » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 am

Historic test win for us in Australia after 71 years. :ind:

:joydance

Finally we win one overseas series this decade. The third overseas test win for us this century after the 2007 in England and 2008 versus NZ in NZ. Well played Team India :bow: Chet deserved the Player of the series.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Dr Cricket » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 am

So beautiful to win this series.
Well done Kohli and team india.

Did say after the lows of the england series to wait and watch after the Aussie series and team india delivered.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches