India tour of Australia, Nov 21 - Jan 18

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: India tour of Australia, Nov 21 - Jan 18

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 am

Crucial third session in the morning as they say. India can still get a handy lead if the scores stay low. Pitch might just flatten out though.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby meninblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:19 pm

Our bowlers seemed to have bowled very well. Good that the first innings of series won't set us back by much. That's a positive.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Excellent spell of 20-9-34-2 by Jas. Ashwin has been the best though with spell of 33-9-50-3 :salute

The ball is fairly new as just 8 overs have been bowled with it. Tomorrow morning our bowlers will be more fresh. Looks good.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:51 pm

If I am the Australia coach right now, Id been stringing up my top order!

I dont know what Aaron Finch is doing. Hes playing a conventional off drive, with there is a canyon between bat and body. Hes got his feet nowhere near the line of the ball. Playing like that in the first over does not convince me hes a test batter at all. Shaun Marsh has put down a solid marker for worst ball of the series to get out to; it should have been smashed to the other side of South Australia. And Khawaja and Harris leave massive gaps between pad and pad.

These are techniques that speak volumes about their abilities as players. They all want to plant the feet down before they judge the line of the ball, and play through hand and eye co-ordination. Might work on a road vs a poor attack, but against a very good all round attack, and on a pitch that is clearly offering a bit off movement off the deck, you have no chance.

Why did Travis Head succeed? He got his head over the ball, he judged the line, and he played straight down the ground more than trying to cross bat things. For a guy with a reputation as a bit of a slogger, you have to applaud that. His looked technically compact, and was willing to bat lots of time. Well done to him. It might turn out he is technically suspect in other conditions, but certainly on today's evidence, he showed he has some tools to succeed at this level.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:59 pm

As for the pitch. Ashwin has got movement from the deck. Not loads, but enough to challenge both edges of the bat (Khawaja off the outside edge, Harris off the Inside). The new ball has swung a little, but also it looks like the swing did carry on a little bit more than Australia managed to yesterday. Tim Paine's dismissal clearly came away from him, and that must have been right at the death of the old ball. The deck also is offering a bit of seam, and quite clearly as the day wore on, more evidence of the odd ball keeping low. Nothing dramatic, but certainly there. Arthur says it could flatten, but I am not so sure. I think this pitch will start to dust and will turn a lot on day 4/5 with it being 40 degrees plus. And I think that carry is going to become much more varied.

A target of 300 should be enough for India, potentially lower if the pitch really does dust up. Batting last I imagine is a big disadvantage, so Australia really need Starc and Head to hang around and try to salvage some form of numerical advantage to take them into the 2nd innings. If they fall short, they are going to have to bowl well again.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby andy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Slow going from OZ, much needed half century from Head! Bumrah and Ashwin been fantastic, work to do for OZ
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby meninblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:57 pm

sussexpob wrote:If I am the Australia coach right now, Id been stringing up my top order!

I dont know what Aaron Finch is doing. Hes playing a conventional off drive, with there is a canyon between bat and body. Hes got his feet nowhere near the line of the ball. Playing like that in the first over does not convince me hes a test batter at all. Shaun Marsh has put down a solid marker for worst ball of the series to get out to; it should have been smashed to the other side of South Australia. And Khawaja and Harris leave massive gaps between pad and pad.

These are techniques that speak volumes about their abilities as players. They all want to plant the feet down before they judge the line of the ball, and play through hand and eye co-ordination. Might work on a road vs a poor attack, but against a very good all round attack, and on a pitch that is clearly offering a bit off movement off the deck, you have no chance.

Why did Travis Head succeed? He got his head over the ball, he judged the line, and he played straight down the ground more than trying to cross bat things. For a guy with a reputation as a bit of a slogger, you have to applaud that. His looked technically compact, and was willing to bat lots of time. Well done to him. It might turn out he is technically suspect in other conditions, but certainly on today's evidence, he showed he has some tools to succeed at this level.

Travis Head was playing on his home ground which might have helped him.

Although i haven't seen the dismissals yet, i won't be surprised if Aussies indeed have lost wickets playing cross batted strokes. Even on their A teams tour of India, most of then were out playing against the line / turn of the ball.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:13 pm

sussexpob wrote:As for the pitch. Ashwin has got movement from the deck. Not loads, but enough to challenge both edges of the bat (Khawaja off the outside edge, Harris off the Inside). The new ball has swung a little, but also it looks like the swing did carry on a little bit more than Australia managed to yesterday. Tim Paine's dismissal clearly came away from him, and that must have been right at the death of the old ball. The deck also is offering a bit of seam, and quite clearly as the day wore on, more evidence of the odd ball keeping low. Nothing dramatic, but certainly there. Arthur says it could flatten, but I am not so sure. I think this pitch will start to dust and will turn a lot on day 4/5 with it being 40 degrees plus. And I think that carry is going to become much more varied.

A target of 300 should be enough for India, potentially lower if the pitch really does dust up. Batting last I imagine is a big disadvantage, so Australia really need Starc and Head to hang around and try to salvage some form of numerical advantage to take them into the 2nd innings. If they fall short, they are going to have to bowl well again.

For the first time i feel we have actually improved in pace attack department. A lot of credit has to go to the administration for setting up NCA, having world renowned pace bowlers as coaches and the management. The fast bowling culture has been caught up in India now which is very evident not only from the number of pace bowlers in our domestic and international teams bowling consistently over 140 kph. Also, the quality of the bowlers has improved. This is the best phase in Indian cricket history as far as pace is concerned. We still have very promising bowlers on bench. Mohd. Siraj will be the next man in. He has taken atleast 3 hauls of 10 wickets in a match against other A teams in last 5 months. I am surprised he is still not in squad, and to me it says volumes about the improvement in our pace attack. Jasprit Bumrah is very inexperienced in test format, but he has rocked since test debut. He consitently bowls over 140 kph without compromising much on accuracy more often than not. Bounce at that pace and ability to bowl yorkers is a great weapon. Ishant too has stepped up his bowling after years of international cricket. He is the one who takes workload and holds on one end while being economical and picking few wickets. Shami is inconsistent recently due to off field issues and fitness but he was outstanding. Shami might make way though for someone else. I feel our selectors messed by not trying Mohd. Siraj for this series or atleast getting him in squad. In a 3 pacer attack having Shami is like carrying a risk. Hope it does not impacts this month.
meninblue

Postby meninblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Just checked the highlights.

Finch played a attacking shot far too early in first over, getting an inside edge on stumps. His bat and feet rarely moves very near. Very less feet movement as well.

Marcus Harris bat and pad was not a bad one. It had to be played but he managed only to edge it onto pads.

Shaun Marsh dismissal was bad. No patience at all to wait for bad delivery.

Usman Khawaja got a good ball.

Peter Handscomb wicket was silly batting. Tried to place a ball through slip cordon only to edge it to the keeper. :roll:
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:15 pm

meninblue wrote: Marcus Harris bat and pad was not a bad one. It had to be played but he managed only to edge it onto pads

There is a huge gap between his pad and the edge, plus the bat is horizontal rather than facing down. If he plays the stroke properly, he middles it and the ball goes to ground.

He should never be playing forward to that ball. The keeper takes the catch around his upper torso, standing up. His trigger movement committed him to go forward, and he ends up jabbing his hands down when he gets in an awful position.

He plays back to that, he lets it go or he gets the bat properly on it. I think its very poor footwork.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Harris was also lucky with that bouncer. The commentator credits him for keeping down the shot, but I'm not sure he knows much about it

sussexpob

Postby meninblue » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:06 pm

sussexpob wrote:
meninblue wrote: Marcus Harris bat and pad was not a bad one. It had to be played but he managed only to edge it onto pads

There is a huge gap between his pad and the edge, plus the bat is horizontal rather than facing down. If he plays the stroke properly, he middles it and the ball goes to ground.

He should never be playing forward to that ball. The keeper takes the catch around his upper torso, standing up. His trigger movement committed him to go forward, and he ends up jabbing his hands down when he gets in an awful position.

He plays back to that, he lets it go or he gets the bat properly on it. I think its very poor footwork.

Will check those two when they are showed in slow mo. If you have seen a big gap between bat and pad then it is.
Most batsmen have trouble to play with middle of the bat. It's a issue faced by majority of the batsmen.

The technically proper batsman are tough to find nowadays.
meninblue

Postby andy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Pujara and Vijay probably the only technically correct batsman in this match?
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:40 pm

I actually thought Harris looked ok technically for the first part of his innings. But he was definitely sloppy for that dismissal.

Khawaja just looks out of nick, he scratched around for ages.

Everyone but the selectors knows that Shaun Marsh isn't up to standard for test cricket. He's only still there because there is no one beating down the door to replace him. I doubt he'll last the series.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Understandable in khawaja's case. He moved a lot to spin in UAE, was inventive, and made Pakistan's bowlers bowl where they did want to. Here he was a bit static. By all accounts he's had a big week off the field, so one can forgive.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches