Cricket World Cup Preamble.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Cricket World Cup Preamble.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:09 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Typical England. Hales named in the WC squad and then a few days later withdrawn for a drugs ban that was known about when the squad was announced.

This article fills in the outline of my incomprehension quite well.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ss-cricket
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Meanwhile, Pakistan thrash Northants B.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:53 pm

Have to agree with wasteolad. It's illegal, it brings him and the game into disrepute, and it's not as if he hasn't had multiple warnings.

He doesn't deserve to represent England, sad as it makes me to say it.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:F

Fogged off?

as I have made a post, I now see this thread.

I may have nothing to add, but want to read the post. it was for 'following'.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Slipstream » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:04 am

I wonder how it got out. First it was Hales not playing for personal reasons. So Harrison, Giles and Newell all keeping it quiet. So quiet that Bayliss, Morgan and Smith didn't know. Giles happy to have him in the WC squad. Had to change his story.
Slipstream

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:12 am

GarlicJam wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:F

Fogged off?

as I have made a post, I now see this thread.

I may have nothing to add, but want to read the post. it was for 'following'.

Think I've done that before (made reference to famous episode of UK sitcom The Likely Lads). Must remember not to do it again!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Slipstream wrote:I wonder how it got out. First it was Hales not playing for personal reasons. So Harrison, Giles and Newell all keeping it quiet. So quiet that Bayliss, Morgan and Smith didn't know. Giles happy to have him in the WC squad. Had to change his story.

Mike Atherton - writing in The Times - has accused the ECB of naivety because , once Notts had announced Hales was taking a break for personal reasons , it was only a matter of time before the full story came out.
I think it was Ali Martin from The Guardian who broke the story so I wonder who told him?
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby captaincolly » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Although maybe the ECB did know the story was bound to come out and knew they'd then withdraw him - had he not been named there would have been lots of questions as to why not.
So they either were naive or it was a cynical but incompetent exercise in media handling! Unusual for such a well respected institution.
captaincolly

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:13 pm

westoelad wrote:I assume it's "naivety" that Vaughan is being accused of and whilst I don't possess the expertise of Sussexpob on substance abuse the training I have had from experts on the subject did indicate that in most instances substance abuse does begin as a result of peer pressure

I never said anything to the contrary, Westoelad. There is a huge difference between arguing peer pressure is responsible for substance abuse (in some ways its true, in others it is not; for example, certainly in full adults, most academic would argue in counter that social isolation is the major cause, particularly after the age of 50), and trotting out age old misconceptions based on a misunderstanding of what the term actually means. The idea that peer pressure takes the form of very direct bullying or fun making, or of direct and forceful moral pressure where someone does it to look "cool" have, if anything, a negligible effect. No one just starts taking drugs because someone starting daring you to do it, this has no academic basis whatsoever, so yes, Vaughan spouting that out maintains a naive message that is widespread, and its wrong.

Peer influence is of course, very important, although its up to debate (and not wanting to post an essay on it on a thread about the WC) what the balance is between genetic predisposition and environmental factors created by peer influence. Some would argue that there is almost a predetermination in friend selection, where gene-environment correlations essentially guide us on auto-pilot to a certain type of person to hang around with, with certain risk characteristics that help the group bond.... so a kid with a drug taking mother who has a genetic weakness to addiction and an environmental understanding that drugs are fairly normal will naturally pair with the same type of person, and so its almost pre-determined that some people become risk factors.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:39 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Have to agree with wasteolad. It's illegal, it brings him and the game into disrepute, and it's not as if he hasn't had multiple warnings

Having a gram of cocaine in your pocket is pretty trivial, and the police wouldnt bother filling the paperwork. If you are dogmatically insistent that the law is the law, then why is Hales the only person to get pulled up on this?

Graeme Swann.... Drunk behind a wheel, went to the 2011 World Cup and never missed a match due to it
Jimmy Anderson.... pushes and swears in another players face, no punishment, thats common assault/battery
Jonny Bairstow headbutts someone in a bar, no punishment
Steve Finn was asleep outside on the floor when Warner headbutted Root.... Drunk and Disorderly, not punished.
Ben Stokes smashing a locker.... criminal damage
Andrew Strauss dropping the c-bomb before the watershed on national TV..... Indeceny Act. Got promoted.

Of course, Hales has disrupted the squad, so has to go..... but Bairstow is on record saying the headbutt had a negative effect on the dressing room, and all the team paid for that with a curfew. Anderson states his pathetic performance at the 2015 WC was because of that incident, adn the team played with no aggression because he was under the radar. And Stokes was straight back for the India tests when his presence would no doubt probably not have been helpful with a court case shadowing the team.

One rule for one, another for others?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby westoelad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:39 pm

Not really one rule for one, different one for another.
Hales was on a suspended sentence, then repeated his drug taking after a warning.
westoelad

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed May 01, 2019 12:29 am

Drunk and disorderly for being asleep? Do me a favour. For that to be an offence you have to be disorderly. It's there in the law. Besides, is there any evidence of that beyond Warner claiming he saw Finn in that situation?

Anyway, the point isn't so much the offence, as the fact that he was already on a warning for a previous offence, and another for his previous behaviour in Bristol. A one-off you can let slide. If you've got a repeated record of performing stupid acts and being unable to reign yourself in when cautioned, you probably are not the sort of character that should be around a national team. And yes, there are other characters you can name from the past who had repeated offences and were allowed to stay in the team. I don't agree with that either.

Just because you've let certain standards of behaviour slide in the past doesn't mean you should continue to. Standards change. Expectations change. You shouldn't arbitrarily change your approach without warning people. But Hales had a warning. He knew he was getting a ban if he offended again. And he did.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby yuppie » Thu May 02, 2019 10:05 am

I would have had England down as clear favorites just 6 months ago. Obviously the team decided they would prefer to be underdogs so they have started to implode as to curtail their supports hopes. Got to admire that.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu May 02, 2019 12:57 pm

captaincolly wrote:Although maybe the ECB did know the story was bound to come out and knew they'd then withdraw him - had he not been named there would have been lots of questions as to why not.
So they either were naive or it was a cynical but incompetent exercise in media handling! Unusual for such a well respected institution.

not often you'll see the words 'ECB', 'cynical' and 'incompetent' in the same sentence

;)
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Thu May 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
captaincolly wrote:Although maybe the ECB did know the story was bound to come out and knew they'd then withdraw him - had he not been named there would have been lots of questions as to why not.

not often you'll see the words 'ECB', 'cynical' and 'incompetent' in the same sentence

;)

:lol:
According to Eoin Morgan there was a "complete breakdown of trust" between Hales and the rest of the team and it was the senior players who had a meeting and decided Hales had to be "de-selected." So no doubt the ECB will say that was why they made a U-turn and decided to get rid of him.
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches