Cricket World Cup group stages, May 30 - July 6

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Cricket World Cup group stages, May 30 - July 6

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:20 pm

ianp1970 wrote:
So somebody thought it a good idea to have the Cricket World Cup final, Men's Wimbledon final :d'oh: and the British Grand Prix all on the same day :d'oh:

Good point!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:26 am

Raining where I am. Forecast is good for Leeds (India) but some rain early on possible in Manchester (Australia) but as that's a PM game, should be alright.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby mikesiva » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:33 am

I've finally got the time to read through the last few pages of this thread, and I have very little to add to what SP had to say...I think you've encapsulated a lot of my thoughts on the issue.

First, the batting. Yes, Gayle can be a divisive figure among fans, but he is well-supported by fellow players, and given the dearth of upcoming talent, we might as well hang on to him as long as he wants to play for us. Campbell is the next cab off the rank, but his technique is flawed, and I wonder how long it will take before he's discarded, and we have an opening problem again. Yes, Shai Hope scores a lot of runs, but what about his SR? Darren Bravo seems to be a shadow of the player he once was, but I think the West Indies should persist with him, because there's not much else. Ambris scored lots of runs in Ireland, but the jury's still out on him, after he struggled in his few matches in the World Cup. Lewis didn't exactly set the world on fire either. So, who are the contenders? Tage Chanderpaul is not an ODI player - the best he can hope for is to make the Test side. Aside from Campbell and Ambris, and maybe Roston Chase, we're still waiting. At least with Pooran and Hetmyer, there's a couple of batsmen to build a side around.

The bowling. We need a spinner, a leggie, who can play ODI cricket. Let's see who comes to the fore over the next four years. Russell doesn't seem to be fit enough to play games longer than 20 overs. Despite his century, does Carlos deserve a place in the side? Is Allen just a batsman who bowls a little slow stuff? Roach is getting on, and probably won't be around next World Cup. Holder was a bit disappointing this World Cup, but should still be a fixture in the side. However, there's hope that Thomas, Gabriel and Cottrell can adapt a bit more to pitches that are not tailor-made for them. As for Cottrell's celebration, I love it!
:salute
I'm not optimistic about a post-Gayle West Indies....
:no
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:06 am

West Indies are essentially already post-Gayle. He mainly turns up for the big competitions. And they didn't do well here with him (as Yuppie says, his fifty over performances are streaky anyway). Gayle has played 20/59 WI ODIs in the past two years. He slows down the running and isn't mobile in the field.

As above, I don't believe in dropping players who are still worth their pace in the side, but if he's not available, then it's hard to keep leaving out a developing player out when CG is free to be picked. If he's available for the next series though and committed to continue, he should keep his place.

Can't drop Hope. He's too slow, but he scores runs. They need to get his SR up, but often WI's problem has been batting the overs and losing early wickets rather than scoring quickly enough.

Maybe should play Holder at seven though and look for another bat.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:21 am

Meanwhile, a couple of early wickets for Bumrah.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:08 pm

South Africa win the toss, and will bat.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:16 pm

SA giving the Aussies a going over.

No Hamish today though.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:18 pm

From what we've seen in the competition, 250+ should be possible to defend. Runs for Mathews at last. SL have a chance here.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:19 pm

SA showing today what they have been unable to in most of their previous 8 matches. Australia will want to chase this 325 to face NZ in Manchester rather than Eng in Birmingham.
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby meninblue » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:59 pm

Comprehensive win with 7 wickets and 39 balls left. :dance
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Good practice for the champions in waiting.

Aussies might lose too, which'll shake up the semis.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Three fifties, no hundreds so far for Smith.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:46 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Three fifties, no hundreds so far for Smith.

Doing my single wicket chances further damage. Warner can go a long way to sealing the competition today...
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby yuppie » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Nice of SA to finally turn up.

Aus best chance of being WC winners.....win the toss twice.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby ianp1970 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:54 pm

yuppie wrote:Nice of SA to finally turn up.

Aus best chance of being WC winners.....win the toss twice.

If Aus/Ind/Eng win two tosses and bat well, they'll probably be World champions. NZ could do the same, but would need their openers to step up, and Williamson and/or Taylor to play well too...

ianp1970

Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches