World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

Postby GarlicJam » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:What was Roy up to after being given out? That didn't look good.

And JB1 referring his lbw was pure Shane Watson.

Roy was very lucky not to get a suspension for the final. Refusing to leave, swearing very audibly ("that is f*cking embarrassing). I reckon that if it wasn't the final next game, he would have been banned.

Admittedly, it was a very bad decision that gave him out - but Bairstow is to blame for that. His decision to review was worse than Finch's.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby ddb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Can only get 2 demerit points though, I think.

Kohli gets away with a lot...ask for his review back in the Bangladesh game
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby ddb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 pm

dan08 wrote:
ddb wrote:Won tickets in the ballot for the final.(humble brag)

Chris Woakes fan on Sunday, bring it home son

Have fun! Don't suppose you have a spare ticket... ;)

Thanks mate, been asked that a lot lol.

I think I am on some ICC loyalty scheme, will have attended all the finals of the 3 icc tournaments over here in the last 6 years all through the ballots and their awful website.

Could be the last 50 over WC final in England too or at least for another 20 years, let's hope England do the business.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:21 am

GarlicJam wrote:
sussexpob wrote:I think England have more ways to beat NZ than the other way.

Without a doubt. This sums it up nicely.

If only it was that straight forward, New Zealand have the personnel to win and will be motivated from their memorable 2015 World Cup campaign.

Guptill could possibly turn up in the final and fire all cylinders, Colin de Grandhomme can be as destructive as Jos Buttler on his day. New Zealand's batting might not have clicked, but it still contains quality. If it's overcast and humid at Lord's on Sunday, there is every chance for Wellington 2015 to repeat itself all over again (still having flashbacks of Boult, Southee and McCullum)

This tournament is New Zealand's to win and the Blackcaps have that character to do something special.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:39 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... ngel#img-1

Quite a picture of Rod Marsh at the top of the article. Looks like Ian Chappell wasn't going to get his hands to that.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Gingerfinch » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Green pitch!
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Won't look like that tomorrow.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:24 am

Last time England were in a World Cup final I was young enough to stay up drinking all night until the 03:20 start. Glad it's a more sociable start time today!

Come on boys :Eng:
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:29 am

Looks like a field first morning. Generalising a bit but you'd think a nice sunny day with a good pitch would suit England's big hitters better.
Gingerfinch

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 am

Looks a sunny afternoon, so yes, maybe bowl first. Probably even more of a must for NZ than England.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 am

How are you feeling, England fans?

Excited, I assume. Nervous? Worried, or confident?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:02 am

Here we go. Biggest day in English cricket since the last time cricket was on FTA here, the last day of the 2005 Ashes?

My natural nerves and pessimism are coming to the fore. NZ's bowling attack is strong, and could easily be a handful, especially Trent Boult's left arm inswing on the slope of Lord's. Add in some green on the pitch, and there is the chance for the side bowling first to inflict some damage.

Still, if anyone had said four years ago that England would be contesting the final today, we'd have laughed. Win or lose today, England have come a long, long way and I am proud of them.

I recall in the aftermath of that loss to Bangladesh 4 years ago someone on these boards (can't remember who) saying that getting destroyed the way we did might have been a blessing in disguise for England. I wrote it off at the time as something that sides sometimes say to try and make themselves feel better about being crap, but in this case it appears to have been really true - the wake up call England limited overs cricket needed to make them realise that we weren't keeping up with the modern game. Lesson learned.

May the best side win today.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby ianp1970 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:07 am

GarlicJam wrote:How are you feeling, England fans?

Apprehensive that we might have one of 'those' days...
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 am

GarlicJam wrote:How are you feeling, England fans?

Quietly confident
Gingerfinch

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:44 am

England will win but as I think NZ taking the trophy would be good as well, inevitably I feel quite sanguine.

Nothing like the torture of 05 at the Oval.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches