First Ashes Test, Edgbaston, 1-5 August 2019

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: First Ashes Test, Edgbaston, 1-5 August 2019

Postby sussexpob » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:06 am

As an extension, England are probably better targeting a classic dismissal of Smith and trusting the ball might do something off the pitch. To begin with last test, while Root made some pretty idiotic changes to the field, Smith never really looked 100% comfortable until England's bowlers blinked first. England need to accept he's a very good batter and isnt going to go straight for the bait straight away, but they need to win the battle of patience. He's most uncomfortable with that 4th stump line and the ball swinging away, so dont change from that line. Keep on asking him to play it 100 times a session, with a few inswingers to keep him honest, or maybe the odd fractional change off going slightly fuller or wider.

I think England seem to forget every test that his showing all three stumps and walking into shots style indicates a weakness on his pads. They then seem to forget that when Smith's score goes from 20 to 100 runs, 50% percent of his runs are tucks off his pads when they inevitably bowl to straight to him. Its like the bowlers wipe their memories after an innings and constantly fall for the same traps. That and those frankly embarrassing passages of play where Root moves half his field for the bouncer, and then you get nothing but shorter balls for a session.

Its a phantom issue. His head regardless of his all action movement is always straight. He plays that middle stump ball coming into him better than anything, but time and time again you see teams spending half his innings trying to get him to miss one. He isnt Shane Watson, his hands and eyes are much better than that.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Aussies are playing again, against Worcs. 58-2.

Feels a bit soon after the Test! Five of the side played in the Test, though none of the bowlers.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:51 pm

I remember reading about 2013 when England were (openly) working on their brand that they wanted to bat aggressively because they felt it would encourage more people to come to games. It was the sort of team they wanted to be.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Stone is out of the second Test because of a back injury. Out for at least two weeks.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:41 pm

CMS first Test thread wholesale changes XI.

Burns/Sibley/Root/Roy/Pope/Curran(S)/Foakes/Woakes/Archer/Leach/Broad.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:39 pm

I've started a thread for Lord's.
Arthur Crabtree

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches