Why I think Australia will win the next World Cup

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: Why I think Australia will win the next World Cup

Postby shankycricket » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:I think part of the problem is that the guys at the top of the order are getting sucked into the boundry mentality that is prevalent in ODI cricket. They're a little too conscious of their percieved weaknesses of scoring too slowly so are being drawn into the idea that every ball has to go to the fence rather than realising that 300 may look daunting but at the end of the day a single off every ball will do the job. A six is no better than six well run singles if you don't score off the other five balls. It's a bit of a cliche but the top three do need to work on looking to rotate the strike every ball.

And Shanky, once again where does KP fit into the side realistically?

In India? Whoever is in worse form out of Trott and Bell in the Test series.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:40 am

from_the_stands wrote:Dave Warner
Phil Hughes
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke (c)
Cameron White
Glenn Maxwell
Matthew Wade
Mitchell Starc
Clint McKay
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
:Aus:

In view of Aaron Finch's recent form in the Ryobi Cup, I do believe that he will feature prominantly in Australia's 2015 world Cup Winning side;

Dave Warner
Phil Hughes
Aaron Finch
Michael Clarke (c)
Shane Watson
Glenn Maxwell
Matthew Wade
Mitchell Starc
Clint McKay
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon

Mitchell Marsh 12th man

"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 am

With the ODI season now completed in Australia, the actual make-up of the team has never looked murkier. Injuries aside; the squad looks something like this;

Batsmen; Dave Warner, Shane Watson, Aaron Finch, Phil Hughes, Shaun Marsh, Michael Clarke, George Bailey, Adam Voges, David Hussey.
All Rounders; Glenn Maxwell, James Faulkner, Moises Henriques, Steve Smith, Mitchell Marsh.
Wicket-keepers; Matthew Wade, Brad Haddin, Tim Paine.
Bowlers; Clint McKay, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Ben Cutting, Kane Richardson, Josh Hazelwood, Pat Cummins, Nathan Coulter-Nile.

From this list of 25 players, :shock: a squad of 15 players will be chosen. Of that 15, no doubt several will need to be replaced due to injury. With two years left before WC 2015, both David Hussey and Brad Haddin will no doubt disappear from the radar, but the rest are well and truly in it. A lot of ODI cricket is scheduled over the next two years, so there'll be plenty of opportunities for these guys to show what they've got and where they're at. Right now, however, it would be hard to pick a starting XI, even though I've already had a crack at it several times. That said, I still think the aussies will win it!

"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 am

Should be favourites at home. Probably no real stand out team in ODI cricket.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby shankycricket » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Doubt Dussey and Haddin would make the 2015 WC. Not sure about Finch either. You did forget Andrew McDonald btw and you didn't name any spinners either.

For the Champions Trophy, I'd go for :

Batsmen : Watson, Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Bailey, Voges with S Marsh as back up in case of injuries
Wicket Keeper : Wade (prefer Paine but not gonna happen, Wade isn't a bad choice either, in fairness)
Allrounder : McDonald
Spinner : Holland, Doherty
Fast Bowlers : Starc, McKay, MJ, Cutting, NCN.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 am

No Smith? Is Smith just a Test player then? I thought of him as more of an ODI player.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 am

shankycricket wrote:Doubt Dussey and Haddin would make the 2015 WC. Not sure about Finch either. You did forget Andrew McDonald btw and you didn't name any spinners either.

Batsmen : Watson, Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Bailey, Voges with S Marsh as back up in case of injuries
Wicket Keeper : Wade (prefer Paine but not gonna happen, Wade isn't a bad choice either, in fairness)

I reckon Dussey has played his last game for Australia, and Brad Haddin is possibly playing his last on Wednesday. I didn't forget McDonald, as much as I'd love to have him in there, he just isn't anywhere on the radar as far as the selectors are concerned. You are right about forgetting about spinners. Probably Doherty, although I still think Nathan Lyon should get a look in, and at a considerable stretch, Steve O'Keefe, although he's a bit like McDonald, perfectly capable, but just not in the picture... sadly. I have a hunch that Glenn Maxwell might be used in this capacity, which might be okay if he can learn to actually spin the ball.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby shankycricket » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:50 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:No Smith? Is Smith just a Test player then? I thought of him as more of an ODI player.

Not sure he will get the role that he's suited to. As I have said before, he's not a spin bowling allrounder. He's a middle order batsman who can bowl a bit of part time spin. At present, Voges and Bailey (even though he doesn't bowl part time spin) are ahead of him and rightly so. If one of them get injured, he's worth a consideration.

And btw. I do think he is more suited to Tests.

shankycricket

Postby shankycricket » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:57 am

from_the_stands wrote:
shankycricket wrote:Doubt Dussey and Haddin would make the 2015 WC. Not sure about Finch either. You did forget Andrew McDonald btw and you didn't name any spinners either.

I reckon Dussey has played his last game for Australia, and Brad Haddin is possibly playing his last on Wednesday. I didn't forget McDonald, as much as I'd love to have him in there, he just isn't anywhere on the radar as far as the selectors are concerned. You are right about forgetting about spinners. Probably Doherty, although I still think Nathan Lyon should get a look in, and at a considerable stretch, Steve O'Keefe, although he's a bit like McDonald, perfectly capable, but just not in the picture... sadly. I have a hunch that Glenn Maxwell might be used in this capacity, which might be okay if he can learn to actually spin the ball.

I think Jon Holland is very much on the radar for the spinner's slot. Inverarity earmarked him as one of the 2 best spinners in the country before his injury. I'm sure he'd be in the mix, when fit. Very good bowler.

shankycricket

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 pm

All righty then, h been to the MCG tonight to watch Australia clinically disposed of a weakened England team, and with just over 12 months before the World Cup, I'd say that the Oz team might be looking as follows;

Dave Warner
Aaron Finch
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
George Bailey
Glenn Maxwell
Brad Haddin
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
Clint MaKay
Xavier Doherty

Cameron White
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Shaun Marsh

It was a huge effort to leave out Usman Khawaja and Phil Hughes... and Nathan Coulter-Nile, but unfortunately only 15 players can be included. I've given up on Pat Cummins for now, along with Nathan Lyon. My XV has that mix of experience and talent... and I still think we'll win it all!

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby dan08 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:08 pm

from_the_stands wrote:All righty then, h been to the MCG tonight to watch Australia clinically disposed of a weakened England team, and with just over 12 months before the World Cup, I'd say that the Oz team might be looking as follows;

Dave Warner
Aaron Finch
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
George Bailey
Glenn Maxwell
Brad Haddin
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
Clint MaKay
Xavier Doherty

Cameron White
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Shaun Marsh

It was a huge effort to leave out Usman Khawaja and Phil Hughes... and Nathan Coulter-Nile, but unfortunately only 15 players can be included. I've given up on Pat Cummins for now, along with Nathan Lyon. My XV has that mix of experience and talent... and I still think we'll win it all!

I would have Steve Smith instead of Shaun Marsh.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Voges?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:40 pm

I haven't read any of this thread, Stands.... sorry!

but if one of the reasons is giving England a succession of right old spankings, then you may have been lulled into a false sense of security
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby alfie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 am

from_the_stands wrote:All righty then, h been to the MCG tonight to watch Australia clinically disposed of a weakened England team, and with just over 12 months before the World Cup, I'd say that the Oz team might be looking as follows;

Dave Warner
Aaron Finch
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
George Bailey
Glenn Maxwell
Brad Haddin
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
Clint MaKay
Xavier Doherty

Cameron White
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Shaun Marsh

Has Hughes sacked you as his publicist then , FTS ? :)

Actually that looks pretty much what I would expect. Except that you know one or two of those bowlers are bound to be injured by the time this comes around...
alfie

Postby shankycricket » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:17 pm

England's_No7 wrote:

Dave Warner
Aaron Finch
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
George Bailey
Glenn Maxwell
Brad Haddin
James Faulkner
Mitchell Johnson
Clint MaKay
Xavier Doherty

Cameron White
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Shaun Marsh

I would have Steve Smith instead of Shaun Marsh.

:thumb and Voges ahead of White.
The rest looks fine. Not too sure why it was hard to leave out Hughes and Khawaja though. In fact, I find it very hard to pick them.

shankycricket

PreviousNext

Return to Cricketing Blogs