Working at an English sweatshop....

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Working at an English sweatshop....

Postby mikesiva » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:25 pm

I have worked my first week at a new Amazon distribution centre in Hemel Hempstead, and I must admit, since in most my previous jobs I worked at a desk, I found the conditions shocking....

My 17-year old daughter, who is a left-leaning sixth former, remarked, "Now you know what the proletariat have to put up with!"

She suggested I write a blog, but since this is the only place where I talk about these things, I thought I would start a thread on it instead....

WEEK ONE

I worked most of the past decade as a media officer/press officer/communications manager in England, but when I was made redundant from my last job a couple of years ago, the economy was so bad that I not only found it hard to get a new job, I even found it hard to get an interview! We lost our house, and now live in rented accommodation. Much to my chagrin, I had to go on Jobseekers, but the attitude of their advisers is annoying - they often behave as if it's your fault you can't find a job.

One day, my adviser told me that there was an open day at the Centre, and told me I needed to attend, if I wanted to continue getting my benefits. That was unnecessary, since I was planning to attend anyway, but that attitude says more about the JC than anything else. When I attended, an adviser told me that Amazon were recruiting admin staff, and introduced me to the recruiter. Of course, I was interested - I would do any admin job right now!

Then, David Cameron visited the newly-opened Hemel Hempstead site, and the articles in the newspapers spoke about Amazon providing jobs in computing, human resources and management - I can do that, I said....

So, I went through the application process, but when I arrived for the evening shift on Sunday, I was shocked to find out that we were all being put on desks to pack boxes for minimum wage! I packed the latest novels by Martina Cole, the latest textbooks in many subjects, Xboxes, and many more things. I thought the situation would change, but now that I've done a week, I can safely say that all I've done since arriving at Hemel Hempstead is pack hundreds of boxes. On the last day, the manager of the floor said to us, "Some of you had this strange idea that you would be working on computers (cue laughter), but you've signed up for physical work, and that's what you'll be getting."
:shock:
I could've walked out then and there, but I don't want to go back on benefits - I want to work, so I'll stick it out. But this is easily the worst job I've ever worked at, either here or in the Caribbean.

1) Workers are treated as potential criminals first. At the induction on the first day, the security guy told us all the things we would be penalised for - a pretty long list! We're not allowed to carry our mobile phones into the floor, no wallets, no keys - everything has to fit in the smallest locker I have ever seen. On the third day, one of my colleagues accidentally carried in his cheap £10 T-Mobile phone, and he was given a warning, and entered into the system as a troublemaker - naturally, he was not amused. Accessing the internet can lead to instant dismissal, so there's no contact with the outside world, including your family, for the eight hours you work there. The only time you can find out what's happening outside is during your lunch break. That's another issue....

2) The lunch break is only half an hour. This is the first place I've worked at where the lunch break is less than an hour. By the time you queue up to go thru the metal detectors, and are frisked by security guards who relish insulting you, ten minutes out of that lunch break is gone. No canteen services are provided, no cooked lunches, and there's nowhere nearby where you can buy a meal, so you either buy food from expensive vending machines, or you carry your own and put it in the miniscule locker. I carry my own, but when I collect it from the locker, I have to queue up to use on the few functioning microwaves, and by the time I'm ready to eat, half of the break is gone. So, I have to wolf down my food in time to make it back to work. If you're even a minute late, the swipecard you have to use records it, and it goes on your record. Half a dozen lates, and that's instant dismissal.

3) The work is back-breaking...my back is still sore from doing work I've never done before in my life. You stand at a table that is too low for you, so you have to bend to work at it. No chairs are provided, so you have to stand the entire eight hours (excluding the half-hour lunch break, of course). If you try to find somewhere to sit for five minutes, and you're caught doing so, you can be disciplined. So, on my last day of the week, I cottoned on to the idea of going to the toilets, just so that I can sit on the seat, and rest my aching feet. In addition to the back and the feet, my hands are sore, I've hurt my right wrist, and I have cuts on my forearms from packing boxes after boxes.

4) The conditions of the warehouse are barely acceptable. During the hot days of August, several workers fainted, and had to be taken to receive first aid. But the work went on.... It's just a huge zinc warehouse, with no air-conditioning and no heating, so working there in December should be fun - if I last that long! During one of my days there, the smell of glue was so strong that some of my colleagues started to feel ill. The solution? You will get used to it....
:?
5) Because this warehouse is located in the heart of the industrial compound, public transportation is poor. I'm among those who drive there, but quite a few workers have to take buses or trains to get there. But these buses and trains have a limited run, and the last bus/train is usually shortly after the last shift finishes. But does Amazon bus workers to meet these important connections? No, they just don't care....I've seen dozens of workers queuing up to use a woefully-inadequate number of two swipe stations, which takes more than ten minutes to do, and run the risk of missing their bus/train home. So, when they go to the swipe station a couple of minutes early, they get shouted at by managers who claim their wasted valuable company time by clocking out early.

I've seen managers talk to workers in a very disrespectful way, and if any of them talk to me like that, I'm not going to take it - I'm going to give it right back to them. I don't care if they fire me: in fact, I would probably feel a sense of relief if they do. Because the money that they're paying is so low that it probably makes more sense to stay on benefits....

But, as I've said before, I don't want to be labelled a scrounger, so I'm going to stick it out as long as I can, and tell you about Week Two in an English sweatshop....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Re: Working at an English sweatshop....

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:14 pm

Sounds a bit like my son's job.

He is an apprentice at a multi-national firm and they take on many apprentices (probably because they get far more money than they actually pay out) who are effectively slaves. He is in the warehouse and in the winter it is absolutely freezing. His hours are chopped and changed all for the princely sum of £2.60 per hour. If there is no work he is told to leave early and the time is taken from his holiday entitlement.

He constantly moans to me that he would be better off on the dole (he has a point) but I've told him it is only for one year and he has work experience which seems valuable at the moment where little work is available.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby D/L » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:45 pm

Sounds absolutely dreadful, Mike. You have my sympathy, and my admiration, for putting up with it for as long as you have.

No need to tell you to keep looking for something more suited to your talents. Hopefully, it won’t take long.
D/L

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Wakefield Trinity RLFC, Leeds Carnegie RUFC.

Postby DeltaAlpha » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:35 pm

I don't know what to say, Mike, I really don't.

Perhaps that life is full of good times and bad times, and when better times return, as I'm sure they will, you'll be able to consign this to history.

Best wishes to you and the family.
2011-12 CMS winter chess champion
2011 CMS spring chess champion
DeltaAlpha

Team(s) Supported: England

Postby braveneutral » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:07 pm

I think that the last two sentiments adequately sum up my thoughts precisely.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby ddb » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Weird reading this with an Amazon ad above. Can only second BN.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:02 am

Panorama must be tipped off with this scandal
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby mikesiva » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks for your comments, guys, and like Aidan suggested to his son, I'm going to stick it out, even if it only provides me with a life experience that I've never had before, and which I can then share here....
:D
As for Panorama, I guess I can always drop them a line when Amazon finally fire me.
:halo:
And when I started the job, and accessed this site on my mobile during the break, the Amazon ad at the top was one of the first things I noticed!

mikesiva

Postby GGAS » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:41 pm

D/L wrote:Sounds absolutely dreadful, Mike. You have my sympathy, and my admiration, for putting up with it for as long as you have.

No need to tell you to keep looking for something more suited to your talents. Hopefully, it won’t take long.

DeltaAlpha wrote:I don't know what to say, Mike, I really don't.

Perhaps that life is full of good times and bad times, and when better times return, as I'm sure they will, you'll be able to consign this to history.

Best wishes to you and the family.

Second these. Best wishes Mike.
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby greyblazer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Best wishes Mike.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm sure the Tory MPs (who had no experience doing any other work than being an MP) who said that UK workers are lazy, would applaud this kind of experience at work as necessary to make business competitive. It's part of the race to the bottom which seems to be part of Government strategy.

My work has become much less concerned with the needs of the workers over the years. But not as bad as your experiences Mike. But it's no shock to be honest. And I don't believe most people will be that sympathetic. With the success the press have in playing off workers against each other.

All I can do is not use Amazon, or any of the companies using workfare, or the companies allowed to write off taxes. Without Unions, this is the only way you can change things. Government is the political arm of big business. The only say you have is where you spend your pound.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Next time someone asks why I moved from the UK, can I quote this article?

Sorry to hear about your situation Mike. Its a shame that someone somewhere will look at your case and consider it a successful one, deeming that another person is off the unemployment list and back in functioning society.... it seemingly doesnt matter that this is an educated person with capabilities high over packing books into *modded* boxes.... It makes my blood boil, it really does.

At the end of the day people with no skills have no rights... thats the modern day we live in... if you are replaceable, your employer doesnt give a *modded*. You accept the conditions as they are and live like an animal, or you go sign your dignity away on the dole, thats the attitude.

I remember once having a job in a non descript call centre environment and getting a poor performance review and disciplinary measures placed against me based on the fact that I hadnt completed a task assigned to me in the alloted time frame required.... on the day in question, I left late under my own powers, giving the company 1hr and 45minutes of my own time in order to make sure I could do as much as possible, I am a proud person when it comes to work..... I also showed that I had done more that day than any of my colleagues, that I had been assigned double the work, and that in order of priority from my manager, the undone issue was neither a priority or urgent, and was adequately dealt with the following morning.

I received a formal verbal warning in response, which I did not accept and asked for the director of the department to come to justify why I should be punished for the issue, in essence what I was being told was that if there is not enough hours to do your work, you must stay and do it in your own time.

Being a new employee on probation, rather than give me an explanation, four days later I was told that being still on my temporary contract, I could see out the week as notice and not come back afterwards... no reason was given to me, they didnt need one.

These people are cowboys, but do you really think the government will do anything about it? Certainly judging on Cameron, who seems to bark out *modded* like a tabloid newspaper about everyone unemployed being a drug addicted scumbag living on benefits, or a women with 17 kids who is a professional benefit scrounger... wont do anything.

The sad thing is the culture in the UK, judging on the press I have read in the recent financial crisis,itseems an eaccepted practice to reject the truth behind unemployment. It seems much more easy to blame anacedotal stereotypes that dont exist to cut benefits and excuse the inaction in getting over the economic slumpand the lack of jobs it creates.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation Mike, best wishes to yourself and the family.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby mikesiva » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:54 pm

WEEK TWO

Thanks for the support guys, and great comments, sussexpob and Arthur...feel free to quote this thread anywhere.

This week wasn't so bad...I've gotten over the shock of how unskilled workers are treated, especially in an environment where there is no union. This week, I saw a worker dismissed for getting upset with the way he was spoken to...not a pleasant scene, I must admit. And I'm seeing another skating on thin ice.

The thing is, will these workers be that much worse off if they lose this job?

I went to the bank to see my weekly pay for the first week, and I was shocked to see how little it was...when I go back for Week Three, I have to ask my agency rep how this pay was calculated. How do people live off such little money? Would folks be better off skipping this job and live off benefits? That might partially explain the high turnover....

I'm yet to work out what cuts I'm getting in other support, and factor in petrol to drive from where I live to Hemel Hempstead, but I'm beginning to fear I may have to make further cuts in my already low standard of living since I'm now "employed" in what is a very low paying job....
:?
Still, I'm hoping that now that I'm "employed", that may help me to get back on the job ladder, and I've started sending out CVs again, for what I hope are better paying jobs.

mikesiva

Postby mikesiva » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 am

WEEKS THREE, FOUR AND FIVE

Well, the guy who was skating on thin ice...is gone.

And so was one of the best packers, a guy who'd become a friend of mine, since we were part of that small group that trained together. The CRB checks came back, and he failed his. No second chance, it seems, once you've done time. It's a shame, because he was easily the nicest, hardest-working guy in the group.

I decided to apply for a job internally, that of shipping clerk. Surely, they need someone like me there? Nope! I made the shortlist, but despite giving my all at the interview, I was unsuccessful. Could it be that Amazon only sees my skills in the field of packing boxes?

This last week saw me at least taking a break from boxes - for three days, I was doing DIY, assembling 'cages' for books, etc. But yesterday was a new low - the manager told me she wanted someone with common sense, so my spirits went up a bit. Could I actually do something mentally challenging? No, I was asked to remove rubbish from a series of corridors, because there was an 'important visit' coming up....
:no