Australian cricket- Rest- rotation- reaction to the summer

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Australian cricket- Rest- rotation- reaction to the summer

Postby andy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm

This australian summer, saw the aussies try out a period of rotation. Throughout the cricketing summer in australia, many different bowlers were used to avoid fatigue and injuy, particuarly with James Pattinson and Pat Cummins constantly going down with injury. This has brought many different views.

On the 9th November a series against South Africa started. The test saw this side taking the field.....Cowan,Warner,Quiney,Ponting,Clarke,Hussey,Wade,Hilfenhaus,Lyon,Siddle,Pattinson:

Saffers racked up 450, one of australia's brightest young talents Pattinson was the pick of the bowlers with 3-93 from 34 overs. Sadly injury would strike in the summer and he would be forced to spend time on the sidelines. Shane Watson missed the game due to another injury would lead to him considering his future as a test match all-rounder. There was also speclaution over Nathan Lyon's permanent spot in the side, he responded with 2 wickets and would reguarly go on to take wickets all summer. Australia racked up 565-5 dec in their first innings. Michael clarke made a stunning un-beaten double century. Ed Cowan who's place was also under pressure chipped in with a century, Mike Hussey also made a ton. Rob Quiney made a 'superb and breath taking 9' as he struggled in a brief test career, which has surely finished before it has properly begun. The game went on to be a draw.

The 2nd test provided another draw. Strangely the aussie side was un-changed, which is now a rare thing and is defintaiely a collector's item. Michael Clarke made another stunning double hundred, as once again the aussies racked up a score of over 500. Hussey would also make another ton, these two would go on to be the star's of the test match summer with the bat. However when the aussies turn came to bowl, the first injury of the summer would occur. James Pattinson went down after only 9 overs, and wouldnt play any other part in the summer for the aussies. Peter Siddle would bowl his heart out in the 2nd innings alongside Ben Hilfenhaus, but south africa held on for a draw going into perth.

The 3rd test,saw rest and rotation begin. It saw Shane Watson in the side, and it also saw a whole new bowling attack introduced. Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Johnson and John Hastings all came into the side. Hastings made his debut, and was bitterly dissapoiniting...first innings he bowled with control but never really looked threatning, and in the 2nd innings he just bowled too short and too wide. Mitchell Starc finished with 8 wickets in the game, including a 6 wicket haul in the 2nd innings. Mitchell Johnson on his return to the test side, was impressive, he bowled good pace, good lines and only enhanced his reputation at Perth, and ended up being a regualr face in the side for the rest of the summer. The main talking point however though, was that Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus were both missing from the side. They werent' properly injured but according to the coaching staff they had minor niggles. You can't help but feel though that with siddle especially in the side that Australia would have had a much better chance of winning the game. The coaching staff said this rest and rotation would go on to be a feature of the summer.

SRI LANKA

The 1st test match of a 3 match series against sri lanka would see another different looking bowling attack, This time it was, Peter Siddle, Ben Hilfenhaus and Mitchell Starc. Hastings appears to have joined Rob Quiney on the test match scrapheap, with Johnson being rested after just 1 test match!!! Siddle did appear fresh and took a 5 wcket haul as sri lanka posted a respectable 336. In the 2nd innings the aussies wrapped a win, with Mitchell Starc bagging another test match 5 wicket haul, with Siddle grabbing 4 wickets and finishing with a match haul of 9 wickets. Nathan Lyon continued to keep things tidy, bowling 32 overs and only going at 1.78 an over, but didnt pick up wickets which was a slight concern for australia.

The 2nd test match saw more changes....Starc in fantastic form was controversially rested for Jackson Bird to come in and make his test match debut. Also Mitch Johnson came back in to the side for Ben Hilfenhaus....Bird picked up 4 wickets on debut, showing good pace and control. Mitchell Johnson rattled the sri lankans with his pace and bounce, and constantly looked threatning, as the aussies wrapped up a comfortable win.

The 3rd test saw, a very different looking side in terms of balance and to a certain degree personnel. Australia went in with 5 bowlers, Wade batted 6 with Johnson going up to number 7, some saw it as a risky move including myself, but against this weak sri lanka attack it was a good positive move for australia. starc came back in as the aussies won again. Starc picked up another 3 wickets to continue his superb impressive form, and Bird picked up career best figures in his short test career of 4-41 from 19,4 overs. He also pickedd up 3 more in the 2nd innings, but Mitch Johnson in the 2nd innings, was impressive..15-3-34, and was finally the Johnson of old. He swung the ball, bowled with genuine pace and ratlled the lankan batsman with bounce from a slingy action, and the batsman were clueless against him.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Re: Australian cricket- Rest- rotation- reaction to the summer

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:26 am

A good summary of the Test season, cf. :salute In terms of the rotation, I think that teething problems will occur, and they have. The selection of John Hastings for the Perth Test, for example, was a mistake. I do think the selectors were right to rest Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus, and got it right by bringing in Mitchell Johnson back in from the cold, but really made a hash of things with Hastings. As much as I like him as a cricketer (and why wouldn't I if he plays for Victoria), clearly the man for the job was Jackson Bird, who came in during the Sri Lankan series and proved to be the find of the summer.

What I think needs to happen is that there needs to be a pecking order of sorts for the Oz bowlers, so that when one gets over used, or simply needs a rest, the next cab off the rank comes in. Of course when somebody breaks down, then all the others move up the pecking order. With so many injuries being sustained by the Oz bowlers, that pecking order needs to be reasonably well stocked.

1 - Peter Siddle; a true workhorse who would be one of the first names to go on the team sheet.
2 - James Pattinson; injured for most of the summer, clearly the find of last summer. A big future ahead of him, if he can stay healthy.
3 - Jackson Bird; the find of this summer. Should do well in England (I hope).
4 - Mitchell Johnson; possibly the comeback player of the year. When on song, he's deadly. When he's not, he flatlines.
5 - Mitchell Starc; still young and learning his craft. He's good now, and will only get better.
6 - Pat Cummins; a young gun with pace to burn. If kid can get his body right, look out!
7 - Josh Hazelwood; once touted as the next Glenn McGrath, he's yet to make his Test debut, but it can't be far away (especially at the rate that the Oz bowlers break down).
8 - Ben Hilfenhaus; quite a slide for a bowler who had a pretty good summer last year.
9 - Ben Cutting; one of domestic cricket's leading wicket takers, was selected to a test squad last summer and then promptly picked up an injury.
10 - Kane Richardson; one of the new kids on the block, looked alright in a recent ODI, before being binned for running on the wicket.
11 - Trent Copeland; he came, he bowled, and was dropped. He's still around. I'm not sure why he lost favour so quickly.
12 - Doug Bollinger; another who seems to have slid from view.
13 - John Hastings; did he really get a baggygreen?
14 - Ryan Harris; the old war horse is probably past Test cricket now, which is a shame because he was a bowler who got the job done.

Out of this list of 14 current first class bowlers in Australia, 11 of them have baggygreen's.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby andy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 am

cheers FTS :)
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 pm

I forgot to add Clint McKay to my list, which is shocking given that he are I are both Victorians. Whilst he seems to be more suited to the short forms, he does a good job for the Bushies, and I believe wouldn't be the worst bowler we've had wearing a baggygreen, so I'd have him probably just behind Hilfenhaus on my list. Looking at it again, it makes the John Hastings selection at Perth even more baffling.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Australian cricket- Rest- rotation- reaction to the summ

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:59 am

Harris has scaled that list a bit in the last year. Faulkner must be on there as well. He's a player you'd want in the team, but doesn't quite have enough of a definitive role for current coaches. Bird has dropped a bit.

Probably a better 15 than England could manage?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Return to Cricketing Blogs