Why I think India will win the next World Cup

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Why I think India will win the next World Cup

Postby braveneutral » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 am

FTS has written a commendable blog on the reasons as to why he thinks that Australia will win the next World Cup, so I feel that it is only fair that I have my right to reply. The CWC is a fantastic jamboree to decide which team is the best in the format that arguably the least people care about. It therefore is guaranteed that everyone on this board and in the wider cricketing world will be glued to their television sets and other sports receiving devices to enjoy the spectacle that comes around once every four years and which has people secretly wishing it would end already so that attention can shift back to the IPL by the time that the Super Sixes/Eights/Twelves/Whatevers get going. Below, I will outline some reasons as to why India will, without a doubt, win the next tournament.

1. Sachin Tendulkar.

Fine wines mature with age. As we have seen with Ryan Giggs at Manchester United, who is still trundling along at the highest level at an advanced age. By the time that this CWC comes around, Sachin will be, well; for want of a better word, old. Whilst many believe that he is corked, true cricket fans around the world will see that here is a player entering the prime of his playing career with at least ten to fifteen years ahead of him and a media circus following him which knows no bounds. There is apart from the fact that he is coming into his peak, another advantage to Tendulkar. The aforementioned media circus will ensure that people care more about what colour grip is on his bat than how it is actually wielded, taking pressure off the great man and allowing him to thrive like a drunk at Christmas. He is the highest run-scorer in the history of the CWC and I would place a house (not mine) on that aggregate rising at CWC 2015 or maybe 2019. Bear that in mind when you go to the bookies.

2. BCCI

In a week where the BCCI has apparently threatened to refuse to play South Africa if their arch-foe Haroon Lorgat is appointed as Chief Executive to CSA, many are missing the bigger picture here. The BCCI may well be threatening to refuse to play South Africa, but think of the long-term benefits. When the BCCI refuses to play more teams, there will only be India and perhaps Sri Lanka left to compete in CWC 2015. This could be the beginning of a new rivalry which is fresh and exciting. Removing South Africa from the fold is a good idea but really the BCCI need to step up their efforts if they want to ensure supreme glory by the time that the tournament comes round. I would expect that England will be phased out once Matt Prior takes a catch. This clearly goes against the BCCI's "Matt Prior is not allowed to take a catch" policy. It is only a matter of time before this happens and India level (read narrow) the playing field further. If this policy fails, they will just make the eventual winners give them the trophy on the grounds that they left it at home.

3. Mahendra Singh Dhoni

What is there not to like about Mahendra Singh Dhoni? The guy rides motorbikes and bats like he is a helicopter. His leadership will ensure that India are in pole position to retain their crown come CWC 2015. The man has more field changes and plan Bs in his mind than a Cardinal has wives. With such devout preparation, India will be placed in a good position to take advantage of their lack of opposition and the inevitable form of the little master when it comes to actual matchplay. Anyway, Dhoni has so many motorbikes that should all else fail, India will be able to use them in the outfield. The Honda Boundary Saver has never been such a popular model.

4. Fielding

India are really good at all aspects of cricket. Particularly fielding where they never drop catches or let easy singles be taken or anything like that.

5. The World Cup is in Australia/New Zealand.

This suits India for a large number of reasons. They can't play spin, so won't have to worry about that as there probably won't be many turning tracks. They are the world's best players of aggressive seam bowling. For evidence, just see Raina playing the short ball. That is quite a sight for sore eyes. On top of their prowess against seam bowling, they also have one of the best seam bowling attacks in recent history. Or at least they will do by the time it gets to the CWC. In order for players from their respective countries to play in the IPL; Jimmy Anderson, Dale Steyn, Mitchell Johnson and the incredibly tall Pakistan bowler will be forced to take Indian citizenship. India, due to the fact that they are given special status will be allowed to field two XIs per match, a bowling/fielding XI and a batting XI. In Australian conditions they won't have to worry about finding a balance as this has now been taken care of. Past history shows that the hosts never win in their own country apart from India who are VVS. Past history also shows that India are pretty bad in Australia. By my reckoning, the law of probability dictates that they are bound to have a good performance there sometime soon, probably in 2015 due to other factors panning out as planned.

As you can see, it is almost impossible for India to lose at the next World Cup. This isn't an exhaustive list and I hope that it puts to bed some of the misunderstandings that have long been held about Indian cricket. Please feel free to add your own suggestions as to why India will win the World Cup.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Re: Why I think India will win the next World Cup

Postby Dilbert » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:22 am

Good one BN !

You forgot an important player - Sir Ravindra Jadeja. He will be the batsman in the bowling XI and a bowler in the batting XI.
Another important player - Ishant Sharma. We all know what he can do in Australia. BCCI will force CA to select Ricky Ponting and make him bat against Ishant... His contract with MI probably says that he has to get out to Ishant everytime he is not playing for MI.
2012 IPL prediction guru
2012 World T20 champs prediction guru
2012-13 India-Pakistan LO prediction guru
2013 SA vs Pakistan Tests prediction guru
2016 World T20 champs prediction guru
Dilbert

Team(s) Supported: India all the way !

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm expecting the Big Chill to be a huge factor for India. His hairstyle is already the envy of the cricket world, and players will be distracted trying to figure out how they too can have hair like his. This will naturally result in one batting collapse after another from opposition teams. Jonothan Trott especially will be cannon fodder for the right arm quick, because he doesn't have any hair at all!
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby braveneutral » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 pm

The Big Chill will certainly be a chilling factor to all opposition batsmen.

Not just the hair but the dedication to staying in the side for so long and offering so much to Indian croquet.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Return to Cricketing Blogs