The Pendulum Swings

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

The Pendulum Swings

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:59 am

In 2005 when England pulled off a shock series win (an event I still require therapy to come to terms with, not because Australia lost, but because they lost to a team that featured Ashley Giles), it was suggested that the pendulum had swung toward England. That line of thinking was short lived as a series sweep followed less than 18 months later. The pendulum did swing, however, in 2009, where it would be fair to say that England got lucky. Rain saved them in the Cardiff Test, a South African saved them at the Oval, and England were generally statistically outplayed in that series, except in the statistic that mattered most. In the next series, there was no doubt, as Australian cricket had plummeted to a level not seen since the mid 80's, which happened to coincide with England havin perhaps its best team of the modern era. Earlier this year, when the two old foes met again, the 3-0 series score line was perhaps not an accurate indication of where the two teams were... and indeed where they were going.

The Gabba in Brisbane has long been a graveyard or touring teams, and this proved to be the case this summer with England, who were pummelled into oblivion, that largely to the deeds of Mitchell Johnson. This match has sounded out a large warning to the previously dominant England side, who for the first time in some years, would appear to have more question marks in their corner than do the Aussies. Jonathan Trott for one, looks all at sea against the Oz bowlers. Kevin Pietersen is still the danger an, but must surely be past is prime, and can't be too far away from the twilight of his glittering career. The jury still seems to be out about Joe Root. Some questions are now being asked of Matt Prior. And none of the English bowlers bowed as well as their Australian counterparts, especially Graeme Swann, who himself could be getting a tap on the shoulder sooner rather than later.

I'm not really an expert on the depths of English cricket, but my guess is that just maybe their stocks aren't necessarily in the shape that Australia's is, especially with bowling. Granted they have the under rated Tim Bresnan on the sidelines. Whilst he divides opinion in this forum, I for one rate him highly. I also like the look of Stephen Finn, another player who divides opinion. The Auuies have Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Pat Cummins, and others just waiting for their turn. Batting wise, perhaps the situation is a bit closer. Alex Doolan is now knocking on the door, with Phil Hughes and Usman Khawaja needing to sort out their respective issues at the crease. I'm not sure where England's next test batsman will come from... Yorkshire, probably.

Going forward, the Adelaide Test match will give an indication as to what sort of character the England side have. Coming back from defeat is tough, but England have been a good side during these past few years and have the talent and experience to do just that. Australia on the other hand finally have the taste of victory, and will definitely want more as this series unfolds. Adelaide is a batsman's paradise, so both teams will be looking to score heavily. Having said that, however, we've seen that both teams are prone to batting collapses, especially Australia. Thankfully we have a tail that wags, unlike England, it seems. Perth is likely to be another graveyard for England, after which the series could be over. The Melbourne and Sydney matches might end up being academic, Could a sweep be on the cards? Surely not.

The remainder of this series will surely have its usual dramas and controversies. More batting collapses will occur, and occasionally there will be high scoring partnerships. With the Aussies drawing first blood, I have a hunch that just maybe the tone for this series has been set and that the Ashes could well be changing hands when this current series concludes in Sydney in the new year. Should indeed Michael Clarke hold aloft that little urn in under two months, it will be safe to say that the pendulum will have swung.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: The Pendulum Swings

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:16 pm

from_the_stands wrote: Surely not.

surely not?

certainly not!

no point Aus getting ahead of themselves. They haven't won the ashes back yet, and will probably need to win 2 more tests to do it.

England were just awful in the first test, at a ground where they haven't won for years (1986 was it?).

Long way to go yet, and the Aus batting, in particular, looks equally as capable of collapse, as the England batting. England picking a 6'7" medium pacer in no form at all, contributed hugely to the loss, imo, and they picked him on a hunch. I don't expect that experiment to be repeated, and if it is, England will deserve everything they get.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Re: The Pendulum Swings

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 am

:dance
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Return to Cricketing Blogs