Counting down to the Ashes series in 2015

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: Counting down to the Ashes series in 2015

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 am

GarlicJam wrote:Steve Smith must have been appointed Glenn McGrath's pre-Ashes successor.

Smiffy wrote:"I can't wait to get over there and play another Ashes against England in their conditions after beating them so convincingly in Australia,"

"It's going to be nice to go in their backyard. If we continue to play the way we have been playing over the last 12 to 18 months, I don't think that they'll come close to us to be honest."

Now, it's not as if a lot of people here may disagree with him - I do, I think although Aus will win, it will be closer than he thinks - it is hardly the most politic thing to say. Especially for a leader.

Hard pressed to disagree with him, but then again, over confidence and under estimating the intensity of the series was what cost England big last time round, so he needs to be careful that Australia don't turn up expecting to win without a challenge.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby GarlicJam » Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 am

indeed

Aus have been caught out with overconfidence - 2005, for example - in times past.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 am

England have to negotiate two tests and five ODI's against NZ first and that could prove to be a tall order.There's every chance that England will find themselves facing the Assies in the same dysfunctional condition that they are in currently.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 01, 2015 11:17 am

At Current stage I think its a 3-1 Aussie win territory. I don't think the gap to the teams is anywhere near the 5-0 drubbing that played out last time, but Australia are certainly a superior team with a bit of form. For England, the hope will be that Clarke cant get through the series, that Rhino will break down, and that Johnson and Smith are way overdue a drop in form.

If those four play all series, and to the level they are capable of, I don't think England have any player that can really match them..... Australia have the form, the overall quality, and the experience edge.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby shankycricket » Fri May 01, 2015 8:46 pm

If this series was in Australia with pitches similar to last time around, I think it'd have been 5-0 again. In England, I think the game is pretty much evens stevens. I sense a similar series to the 2013 Ashes in England, which was heck a lot of closer than the final scoreline, where one batsman (Bell) made the difference. Who'll be that batsman this time around and from which side? Will be interesting to see the type of pitches England prepare as unlike in 2013, they don't even have a clear edge in the spin department.

Slow green tops under cloudy skies with Bell, the best player of swing bowling on either side in their ranks, is England's best bet. Can't imagine them giving Australia any pace or bounce to work with. Will be a really close series. Anderson, Broad, Root and Bell are England's trump cards. Australia, on the other hand, don't have a single proven performer with the bat in English conditions (apart from Clarke, who is probably past his best) and only Harris is a proven performer with the ball in England. Australia are the better side on form but England will be no pushovers at home. A win against an IPL-rusty NZ could be a real confidence-booster for the hosts.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby alfie » Sun May 03, 2015 6:32 am

shankycricket wrote:If this series was in Australia with pitches similar to last time around, I think it'd have been 5-0 again. In England, I think the game is pretty much evens stevens. I sense a similar series to the 2013 Ashes in England, which was heck a lot of closer than the final scoreline, where one batsman (Bell) made the difference. Who'll be that batsman this time around and from which side? Will be interesting to see the type of pitches England prepare as unlike in 2013, they don't even have a clear edge in the spin department.

Slow green tops under cloudy skies with Bell, the best player of swing bowling on either side in their ranks, is England's best bet. Can't imagine them giving Australia any pace or bounce to work with. Will be a really close series. Anderson, Broad, Root and Bell are England's trump cards. Australia, on the other hand, don't have a single proven performer with the bat in English conditions (apart from Clarke, who is probably past his best) and only Harris is a proven performer with the ball in England. Australia are the better side on form but England will be no pushovers at home. A win against an IPL-rusty NZ could be a real confidence-booster for the hosts.

Largely agree with that :thumb

Reckon Harris is indeed a key player for Australia. And England really need to get their team balance right by the time this rolls around. Will need plenty of batting.
alfie

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:31 am

So the Aussies have basically a couple of sessions left in Test cricket before the Ashes. A 2 day tour game has been announced against a Hampshire XI, and will involve Chris Rogers, Mitchell Marsh, Peter Nevill and Ryan Harris. The selectors have some big decisions to make pretty soon, and one of them will be what to do about Shane Watson. I reckon he's in trouble. Rogers v Marsh will be a big call. The biggest, it seems is who to bring Ryan Harris in for. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the selectors mull over that one.

Not long now!

:box
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby andy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:28 pm

i think this will be the line up for the 1st test

1.Warner
2.S.Marsh
3.Smith
4.Clarke
5.Voges
6.M.Marsh
7.Haddin
8.Johnson
9.Starc
10.Hazelwood
11.Lyon

I think Marsh's knock has got his place booked for the 1st test, tough on Rogers but IMO he will be back in the side by the 3rd test probably anyway.... Harris short of match pratice, and Hazelwood has bowled well, so he gets in that side for me
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:12 pm

I reckon the selectors will play conservatively - and neither Marsh be there. If there is, it will be Shaun before Mitch.

I hope that Hazelwood has his spot permanently fixed in the team, I see him as the stalwart for the next decade or so. Pigeon MkII
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby yuppie » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:58 pm

GarlicJam wrote:I reckon the selectors will play conservatively - and neither Marsh be there. If there is, it will be Shaun before Mitch.

I hope that Hazelwood has his spot permanently fixed in the team, I see him as the stalwart for the next decade or so. Pigeon MkII

Hazelwood has to have secured his place in the ashes. I also think Starcs performance in the world cup and the West indies also means he gets a place. For me it is then between MJ and Harris for the last quick place. For me i think it will be MJ though it is a great choice for Australia to have to make.

I also think Rodgers will come back into the team. The Aus batting line up for me is pretty poor at present. Warner seems to have lost a bit, Clarke has his back problem, Watson is not a test batsman. Haddin is not the batsman he was for the last ashes series. It all looks a bit fragile to me.

Other than Smith who's golden run will have to end, i think the Aus batting line up is a huge weakness.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:55 am

This Australia team are a bit like the Conservative Party in 1992. They will win, but only because their opposition are stuck in a institutional crisis of their own self making that they cant escape out of. I look at this Australian team and think should Steve Smith get injured and their paceman retain the sort of fitness issues that usually haunt 67 year old, 60 a day smokers, this team could arguably receive a bit of a battering in the Ashes series. If England had confidence.... which they don't.

sussexpob

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Harris
Hazlewood
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby ianp1970 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:15 pm

from_the_stands wrote:Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke
Voges
Watson
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Harris
Hazlewood

Surely Lyon is going to picked?

Heard somewhere that he has played more tests than any Aussie since taking over from Agar on their last Ashes tour...
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:43 am

England have a pre Ashes training squad, featuring the team that played NZ, plus Footitt, Finn and Plunkett.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Aidan11 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:00 pm

Well done to Footitt.

Just a couple of years ago was at a CC game where Derbyshire where the opposition. When the PA announced Footitt was playing the Derby fans near me groaned.

I bet they're not groaning now.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL