All Time XI Series

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

All Time XI Series

Postby The Professor » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:33 pm

Ever wondered who would win in an All Time XI Championship?

Now is your time to find out.

Armed with my new copy of Cricket Captain 2019 and an abundance of free time I have constructed an All Time Test, ODI and (sometimes notional) T20 XI and will pit them against each other.

The teams participating will be: Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies

Just as in other series like this; 4 points will be awarded for a Test win (with two points being shared for a draw) and 2 points awarded for a limited overs victory.

Each team will play each other twice, once home and once away, in all three formats.

Squads will remain the same but I will tinker with the make-up of the team.

Should be fun

First round of fixtures read thus:

Sri Lanka v Pakistan
India v England
West Indies v South Africa
Australia v New Zealand

Some very juicy fixtures in there.

Will kick start first Test later today.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Re: All Time XI Series

Postby The Professor » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:02 pm

Sri Lanka squad

M. Jayawardene (c)
M. Atapattu
A. De Mel
A. De Silva
S. De Silva
T. Dilshan
R. Herath
S. Jayasuriya
M. Muralitharan
A. Rantaunga
R. Ratnayake
K. Sangakarra
C Vaas

Pakistan squad

J. Miandad (c)
Z. Abbas
W. Akram
S. Anwar
I. Khan
Y. Khan
R. Latif
R. Mahmood
S. Malik
H. Mohammad
A. Qadir
I. Ul-Haq
W. Younis
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Kent

Postby GGAS » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:16 pm

Waqar and Wasim against Sangakkara and Jayawardene is what dreams are made of
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby The Professor » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Sri Lanka team

M. Atapattu
S. Jayasuriya
K. Sangakarra
T. Dilshan
M. Jayawardene (C)
A. De Silva
A. Ranatunga
C. Vaas
R. Herath
R. Ratnayake
M. Muralitharan

Pakistan team

H. Mohammad
S. Anwar
J. Miandad (c)
Z. Abbas
Y. Khan
I ul-Haq
S. Malik
I. Khan
F. Mahmood
W. Akram
W. Younis
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Sri Lanka opened this series in drab fashion after their top five fell cheaply.

At lunch, Sri Lanka were 45-4 after Atapattu (12), Jayasuriya (5), Sangakarra (9) and Jayawardene (0) all feel cheaply.

After lunch Sri Lanka played cautiously and saw some profit from it - Aravinda de Silva is the current top scorer for Sri Lanka with 29 before he fell victim to Imran Khan who finished the day with figures of 3-18 from his 18 overs.

Imran Khan was the pick of the bowlers but Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram both bagged two wickets apiece.

Overnight, Sri Lanka are 137-7 with Chaminda Vaas on 25 and Rangana Herath on 10.

:pak
The Professor

Kent

Postby bigfluffylemon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:03 pm

No Qadir for Pakistan? And 137 runs in a day? Was there rain, or just dropping anchor?

Entertaining stuff prof. I'm interested to see how it turns out. My money would be on Australia in reality, but cricket captain is a funny old game...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Takes me back there being so few runs in a day (most often in Pakistan where scoring was slow and there was never six hours of sunlight to be had).

At least this won't be a two innings draw.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby The Professor » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:50 pm

After losing 5 batsmen within two overs of lunch, I took the scoring rate well down.

Also no batsman got settled enough for me to let loose.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 am

DAY TWO REPORT

Pakistan are strong favourites for this match after Pakistan's second wicket partnership of Javed Miandad and Saeed Anwar put on 250 - the joint fourth highest for that wicket for Pakistan.

The Sri Lankan bowlers could not muster up anything to dislodge the stoic pair until, with 3 overs left in the day, Muralitharan preyed on the tiredness of Miandad to scatter his wickets with him on 105. Anwar stands overnight on 151* with hopes he can beat his previous highest score of 188 he bagged against India.

Earlier in the day, Sri Lanka added a further 23 runs to take their total to 160 all out. Imran Khan got the final wicket taking his total in the innings to 4-18.

Sri Lanka drew blood early when Hanif Mohammad was out within the first 10 overs for a mere 18, caught and bowled by Ratnayake. This, however, brought together Miandad and Anwar and the rest is history.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:32 pm

DAY THREE REPORT

Wickets were easier to come by for Sri Lanka today but Pakistan still piled on a 342 run leas before declaring half an hour before tea.

Sri Lanka started well but ended the day on 100-3 facing an innings loss.

No massive partnerships for Pakistan today but Zaheer Abbas was the third centurion for Pakistan and Imran Khan's quick fire 42* out swelled Pakistan's total to 502- 7 dec.

In what was a difficult innings for the Sri Lankan bowlers Ratnayake finished with figures of 24.3-3-71-3.

The Sri Lankan openers saw their way to tea with a healthy total of 18-0 but Jayasuriya tried to keep the aggression up and nicked behind off Younis. Sangakarra was then caught by Miandad off the bowling of Akram for 15.

Atapattu was then the dominant partner in a decent resistance with Dilshan and it seemed like the pair may hold on to be together overnight however the opener got too brave and was caught behind by Younis Khan off the bowling of Waqar Younis.

Overnight Dilshan is unbeaten on 24 and Jayawardene has 7. Hopefully the famous pair can produce another great partnership to force Pakistan to bat again.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:55 pm

PAKISTAN WIN BY AN INNINGS AND 24 RUNS

If Sri Lanka had batted like that in the first dig it could all have been different but as soon as Jayawardene was knocked off for 72 after lunch the innings defeat was odds on.

Dilshan was dismissed early doors by Akram but the morning session was Sri Lanka's. Jayawardene and De Silva put on 104 runs and saw Sri Lanka to 200-4 but the loss of De Silva two overs after lunch and then Jayawardene saw the writing on the wall.

Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis both got 4 wickets in the second innings.
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:07 pm

Points table

Pakistan - 4
Sri Lanka - 0

Highest Test run scorers

S. Anwar - 163
J. Miamdad - 105
Z. Abbas - 105
M. Jayawardene - 72
A. De Silva - 69

Highest Test averages

S. Anwar - 163
J. Miandad - 105
Z. Abbas - 105
I ul-Haq - 45
I. Khan - 42

Most Test wickets

W. Younis - 7
W. Akram - 6
I. Khan - 5
R. Ratnayake - 3
M. Murslitharan - 2
The Professor

Kent

Postby The Professor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Sri Lanka ODI squad

M. Jayawardene (c)
M. Atapattu
A. De Silva
T. Dilshan
S. Jayasuriya
L. Malinga
A. Matthews
M. Muralitharan
A. Ranatunga
R. Ratnayake
K. Sangakarra
C. Vaas

#Pakistan ODI squad

W. Akram (c)
Z. Abbas
S. Afridi
S. Akhtar
S. Anwar
I. Khan
M. Khan
Y. Khan
J. Miandad
S. Mushtaq
I. Ul-Haq
W. Younis
M. Yousuf
The Professor

Kent

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Surprised Hanif Mohammad isn't still batting.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby The Professor » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Out for a mere 18.
The Professor

Kent

Next

Return to Cricketing Blogs