Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/14

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/1

Postby sussexpob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Thanks for the info. The version of the boat trip I'm familiar with is that Hussey wanted to just stay in the dressing room with the players, but Clarke didn't think that was auspicious enough so arranged a party on son of Packer's yacht as a surprise. The retiring (in both senses) Hussey didn't want that and Clarke felt a bit put out that his efforts weren't appreciated. As I remember it.

No thats not the case, but you have reminded me that the story above is a little wrong.

Hussey announced his retirement as a shock only a week or two(or was it days) before the Sydney Test v Lanka, so the boat trip had not been arranged as a retirement as I said earlier, but for the team to party after the end of the Aussie summer in fact. He said afterwards that after Clarke cut him from the ODI and T20 teams he felt that announcing his intentions before that Aussie Summer may have made the selectors drop him for the tests, so he kept it secret till very late.

Hussey, who had invited the whole of his extended family to be there to witness his last day in International cricket found out about the boat party during the test, but communicated the fact that as his family had come to see him, and as they were not allowed to attend due to the safety issue with children, he would not be able to go, but wanted to share some time in the dressing room after.

It was only when he didnt turn up that Siddle, Lyon and Watson found him with the team management staff in the hotel restaurant(back room staff were also allowed family to attend tests, but players are not generally) and asked why he wasnt coming.

It was at this point, not the next day as I said earlier, that Watson apparently lost his temper and wanted the team to stay with Hussey and his family, which many players agreed with, but in the end the non-alcohol drinking Siddle was the only one who stayed as Clarke insisted they go to party because the boat had been arranged.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:36 pm

I think the version I mentioned was from below the line in the Guardian, so I won't be able to find it. But this account above doesn't reflect too badly on Clarke. He'd already arranged something that Hussey didn't want to go to, possibly arranged without Clarke knowing Hussey was going to retire. It would have been more insensitive if he'd overridden Hussey's wishes, as in 'my' telling.

Clarke comes across as utterly reasonable in front of camera. But obviously, he provokes antagonism behind the scenes.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Clarke has the major problem that he is the only top class batsman in the side, he knows that if he fails the team is going to struggle as well. It's not easy for any player to be significantly better than the rest of the side, let alone the captain. Australian cricket has far too many egos at the minute who aren't performing on the field.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Ahmed takes 6/60-odd against the Wozzies...........

(Dougie Bollinger also got a sixfer, against Tassie, but lets leave that alone)
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:53 pm

Mitch (the original) has left India to prepare for Brisbane.

Will he bowl the first ball of the series? We all know Peter Siddle doesn't take the new ball. That ball will be watched very closely.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:54 pm

Ricky Ponting quoted as "not ruling out a whitewash , if Australia can win in Brisbane"

Confident :)

In truth , Brisbane has generally been an Australian fortress : the best chance as I see it for a successful summer for the home team is for them to catch England "cold" and win there...pressure and nerves then getting to England. If England can win , or even draw again , in Brisbane , I would be very confident of retaining the Ashes.
alfie

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:16 am

Mitchell Johnson has done himself no harm in the lead up to the Ashes. Aside from taking 5 wickets for the match against SA, he beat the bat on 'numerous occasions' and had 5 catches put down off his bowling. A 27 with the bat to ensure first innnings points also helped out.

I would say that is is just about confirmed.

Josh Hazlewood is also out injured - shin, 2-3 weeks.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby alfie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Ironically , given all the new talent that has come through in the last couple of years , Australia's fast bowling resources bear a striking resemblance to those available three years ago for the previous Ashes series:

Harris
Siddle
Johnson

Hilfenhaus
Bollinger ?

All the new boys seem to be injured...no wonder Glen McGrath has come out with serious doubts about the modern resting/wrapping in cotton wool strategy...
alfie

Postby meninblue » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Pattinson and Cummins are very prone to injuries.The number of days they are injured and cannot play is more than the days they are fully fit.Doubt they will even stay fit to play half the tests of the past Aussie bowlers.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:35 pm

even Doug Bollinger has picked up an injury. Not too serious, he has probably been talking to Pat Cummins, and a stray word hit him.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 am

Aus team gas been announced. No surprises - Bailey's in at 6 and Faulkner the likely 12thie.

I hope they give Bailey more than two tests - should he need it - to show his worth.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 am

Now that the England tour is finally over, it's pretty funny to look back at many of the comments on this thread.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby englandmad666 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:07 am

from_the_stands wrote:Now that the England tour is finally over, it's pretty funny to look back at many of the comments on this thread.

I dont think funny is the word i would use :facepalm
"England expects that every man will do his duty" Horatio Nelson 1805

Australian Open 2010 prediction guru
englandmad666

Team(s) Supported: Big england cricket fan, also a huge england football fan as well as a supporter of sheffield wednesday football club (who in fact use to be a cricket team!)

Previous

Return to Cricketing Blogs