Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/14

Read the more in depth thoughts of our posters on various cricketing issues, topics and events - and please take the opportunity to leave feedback and enter into debate.

Re: Counting down to the back-to-back Ashes series in 2013/14

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:29 pm

rich1uk wrote:F-T-S i am not sure what comments you refer to when you suggest KP might walk away from the game

I don't see him walking away from the game anytime soon, but I could see him retiring from Test cricket before he does away with the short stuff. We've even had a thread on here where we've speculated as to when his last Test series will be. It might possibly be that he actually retires after the Ashes, along with half the England side, especially if they win. I guess suggesting that he might retire before the Ashes is wishful thinking on my part... but I'm still hopeful!
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby OffStumpYorker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:16 pm

F_T_S,I really dont think half the englands side will retire after the next ashes, the only one I can see doing so is strauss, and may be swann who will be 36/7 and 34/5 respectively, all the others at the moment are going to be 32-34 with KP being the 'old' man of the bunch.

So I expect this side to be together for pretty much the next 5-6 years, possibly even going as far as the 2017 Ashes.
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:39 pm

... but I'm still hopeful... :texas!
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby OffStumpYorker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:44 pm

from_the_stands wrote:... but I'm still hopeful... :texas!

LOL, yeah, knowing Australias luck they will still be wheeling out punter and hussey and recalled Katich (We can only hope!!).
'To Beer or Not to Beer, that is the Question, whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The hangover and pains of outrageous lager'
OffStumpYorker

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, England (naturally), Sheffield Wednesday (for my sins)

Postby englandmad666 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Im still hopeful phil hughes is around then ;)

Its to hard to say what will happen in two years but id love another away series like the one we had last australian summer, the best cricket of my life :salute :Eng:
"England expects that every man will do his duty" Horatio Nelson 1805

Australian Open 2010 prediction guru
englandmad666

Team(s) Supported: Big england cricket fan, also a huge england football fan as well as a supporter of sheffield wednesday football club (who in fact use to be a cricket team!)

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:27 am

I seem to recall Strauss at least implying that Trott will take the next available openers spot. That means, if Morgan hangs around, the next generation (or Bopara) is looking at one likely spot in the middle order.

I'd hope that this develops tough players, who have been improved by the fight to get in the team in the first place.

The one big if, is the year of touring in Asia. Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India. Three away tours which will be an entirely new test of their skills. Conceivably, that could put pressure on places. Note how well Patel did with the bat in the ODIs vs the spinners. That will carry some weight (pun present), and he'll at least tour in SL/Pak.

As for Australia, there is room for hope. But I'm not going to make too much of wins against NZ. A decent team might have taken Starc apart in Brisbane.They looked pretty flaky in SA. But a home win v India will mean something.

It's unlikely that Australia will complete back to back whitewashes. That's my starting position.

I think England will do ok in Asia. Not saying they'll win these series, but they'll be competent and take some beating.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:27 am

One issue that will definately have to be addressed as far as the Aussies are concerned before the next Ashes is the problem with batting collapses. We lost the 2009 Ashes as a direct result of two collapses, and since then, the problem seems to have gotten worse. To be bundled out for 136 at home against the Kiwis should almost be triggering another inquiry! One solution, which has already been previously been suggested is the removal of Justin Langer as batting coach. I wouldn't have a problem to see Punter pack up his kit for the last time and to move into Langer's role.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby PardonWonTheCup » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:56 pm

from_the_stands wrote:One issue that will definately have to be addressed as far as the Aussies are concerned before the next Ashes is the problem with batting collapses. We lost the 2009 Ashes as a direct result of two collapses, and since then, the problem seems to have gotten worse. To be bundled out for 136 at home against the Kiwis should almost be triggering another inquiry! One solution, which has already been previously been suggested is the removal of Justin Langer as batting coach. I wouldn't have a problem to see Punter pack up his kit for the last time and to move into Langer's role.

Kiwis bowled well and our batsmen are lemmings. That is established.

I've somehow climbed beyond being thoroughly pissed off at them (I put that down to the first innings at the MCG over summer, that was a mental Rubicon for me) and there is a part of me that enjoys them for the blood sport they are.

There is something admirable about the inevitable brain fart from Haddin.
But men must know, that in this theatre of man's life it is reserved only for Gods and angels to be lookers on.
Francis Bacon
PardonWonTheCup

Team(s) Supported: Australian cricket team.

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:16 am

A new member for the Oz top 6 come Ashes time; http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/505110.html

Just have a look at that average! :shock:

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby dan08 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:18 am

from_the_stands wrote:A new member for the Oz top 6 come Ashes time; http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/505110.html

Bradman-esque!

He's only 18 and has done well in his recent matches. If he continues that form then who knows...
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:21 am

England's_No7 wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:A new member for the Oz top 6 come Ashes time; http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/505110.html

Bradman-esque!

He's only 18 and has done well in his recent matches. If he continues that form then who knows...

Here's the write up from the telegraph, which I totally missed at the time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/8919595/Blues-batsman-Kurtis-Patterson-becomes-youngest-batsman-to-score-a-first-class-century-at-SCG.html

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby OffStumpYorker » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:32 am

A bit Early to start bigging the kid up, great that he scored a big ton on debut, but that means jack once the bowlers union has had a chance to work him out, just like they have with so many others (Hick, Hughes, Ramprakash, to name a few).
OffStumpYorker

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:24 pm

OffStumpYorker wrote:A bit Early to start bigging the kid up, great that he scored a big ton on debut, but that means jack once the bowlers union has had a chance to work him out, just like they have with so many others (Hick, Hughes, Ramprakash, to name a few).

Future captain of Australia! ;)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby dan08 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:25 pm

I think it's stupid to have two Ashes series back to back.

They should have scheduled it as: Australia 2010/11, England 2012, Australia 2013/14.

The Ashes is the best Test series in the world but it just won't feel as special because the winner of the 2013 Ashes in England will only have it for 3 months before the next Ashes starts!
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby andy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:12 pm

England's_No7 wrote:I think it's stupid to have two Ashes series back to back.

They should have scheduled it as: Australia 2010/11, England 2012, Australia 2013/14.

The Ashes is the best Test series in the world but it just won't feel as special because the winner of the 2013 Ashes in England will only have it for 3 months before the next Ashes starts!

i completely agree. ridiclous planning by the two boards.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

PreviousNext

Return to Cricketing Blogs